Life expectancy after the Triad - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-20-2017, 05:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2008 X3
Life expectancy after the Triad

When I bought my 07 at 76k miles I was told that the TC Actuator had just been replaced. Now, at about 122k, it has just got the triad of lights lit on it.

It is driving fine, and as I understand it, it will just now be in RWD mode.

I have a new gearwheel for it and plan to change it this week, but it got me wondering about how long it can be operated in this present mode. I read (most of) the main thread on this but didn't see anything

07 X3 3.0Si - AT - Black with tan leatherette interior - 141k miles
08 X3 3.0Si - AT - Black with black leather interior - 121k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2017, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: bmw++many
indefinite

>the computer will keep trying to tell the motor to turn enough to drive thru that worn out gear and actuate your clutch mechanism....it's just an old style worm and wheel pulling on a lever but has some newday smarts

>there should be a code set telling you that the mechanism has tried but spun itself way past normal rotation of about 90 degrees....it's just like saying I'm trying the normal spin of 90 ish degrees to pull your lever but I've become dizzy going round in circles with nothing engaging

>if the computer has lost some of its inputs/smarts like the resistor and or the motor shaft position sensor it will throw in the towel and often pop one or more of several codes....sometimes no codes but noise

>best wishes and get the new gear in asap
Old 10-20-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampX3 View Post
>best wishes and get the new gear in asap
Is that not contrary to your post title of "indefinite"?

Theoretically, if I do nothing and don't replace the gear, what will happen other than some codes/lights being thrown? And being in permanent RWD?

Any further mechanical damage beyond the plastic gear wheel?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2017, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: X-3
I can say I drove mine maybe a total of 3,000 miles with the triad. HWY speeds at 80 mph daily and surface street driving. It was back and forth to the office. When I finally got the gear and fixed it and changes the fluids and all that jazz, I wished I had done it sooner. I was shocked at how easy the job really was when you take it step by step and think through each thing you are doing. Some vids will say you have to drop the exhaust and all kinds of stuff but I was able to get to all the bolts just being very calm and patient. IMO, I'd get it changed asap because its an easy job and theres no sense in leaving it just to stress other parts and make it worse.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:42 AM

problem can = on and off effects

>if you leave it you can go thru the on and off syndrome...BUT we've seen some four wheelers go on indefinitely BUT more thru luck than design

>sometimes the old gear can pick up the drive and this results in the system coming on and off and loading up different components at the wrong or who knows what time

>better unplug it ...takes 5 mins....and be sure it's off...or if budget will not allow repair, just remove all the front drive shaft, diff etc stuff/tie back the transfer case output shaft so it doesn't spin out onto the road
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T CASE and Shaft Keeper.png
Views:	47
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	692041  
Old 10-20-2017, 11:48 AM

getting rid of the transfer case etc

how to get rid of the transfer case etc
Attached Files
File Type: pdf how_to_get_rid_of_your_X_-2-2.pdf (1.47 MB, 52 views)
Old 10-20-2017, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: X3 M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampX3 View Post
how to get rid of the transfer case etc
That's a funny write-up. Good job.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:19 AM

Did the TC case gear change this weekend after it had been driven about 260 miles.

The old gear wheel was worn in two spots roughly 180 degrees apart, one about 1/2" long and the other about 1.5" long. From this I assume that the actuator wasn't changed, at 75k as I had been told; but rather the wheel was just flipped. The friction fit case scratches bore this theory out. The longer groove would be from this 260 mile run.

Or it was possibly replaced with an aftermarket one as it seemed identical to the MTC one I was replacing it with. Does the OEM one have BMW markings or part numbers? The one I took out didn't.

Managed to take off the actuator without removing or loosening any of the TC bracket bolts. Just used an E11 socket, a universal joint and a pair of short extensions. Not saying that the back-most bolt wasn't fiddly as hell, but it can be done.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 sport
I'm on my third gear, car has 180k miles on it. I just keep replacing/rotating the gear myself when ever it needs it. Not sure why it wears out, maybe there's something binding, transfer case bearings, clutch pack I noticed that they sell metal replacement gears but can't find any feedback on those. Kind of concerned if I replace with metal gear something else will go instead thats harder to replace. For now servicing the gear is a cheap fix.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:18 AM

I thought about the metal gear also, and had the same concerns, so I was OK with it being the sacrificial part.

Did you reset your adaptations after you change or flip the wheel?

I just did so with my C310 and after getting all the new codes cleared and the lights out, I have a hard shift from 2-3. (I haven't been driving this one for about a year so not sure if it was there pre-triad)

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search