Replaced blower motor and still no heat 2009 X5 35d - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 xDrive35d
Replaced blower motor and still no heat 2009 X5 35d

Just replaced my front blower motor with resistor on my 09 X5 35d in the lovely Wisconsin weather however the new blower does not seem to be getting any power. I'm wondering if I may have blown a fuse during repair (I should have disconnected the battery) but have not found any bad fuses on visual inspection. Does anyone know the exact fuse for the front blower motor? Should I be assessing other items?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 03:37 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxstar View Post
Should I be assessing other items?
yes.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...earch?q=Blower
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 03-03-2020 at 03:41 AM.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:53 AM
What was that?

Mein Auto: 05 M3, '13 TLC, '11X5 35i
Quote:
Just replaced my front blower motor with resistor on my 09 X5 35d in the lovely Wisconsin weather however the new blower does not seem to be getting any power. I'm wondering if I may have blown a fuse during repair (I should have disconnected the battery) but have not found any bad fuses on visual inspection. Does anyone know the exact fuse for the front blower motor? Should I be assessing other items?

What was the condition that made you replace the blower? Was it working at all before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoCarNut View Post
Quote:

What was the condition that made you replace the blower? Was it working at all before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It started to work intermittently then stopped entirely this past week. Inspected it and saw there were some burn marks on the blower motor resistor and wire sheathing coming from the harness plug was melted/frayed.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:53 AM
What was that?

Mein Auto: 05 M3, '13 TLC, '11X5 35i
Quote:
It started to work intermittently then stopped entirely this past week. Inspected it and saw there were some burn marks on the blower motor resistor and wire sheathing coming from the harness plug was melted/frayed.
Do you have a multi-meter you can use to check the wiring loom? It sounds like the blower motor issue may have damaged the harness and/or blown the fuse.

The fuse for the blower is under the glove compartment on the passenger side. You have to remove the trim panel in the footwell (3 screws) right below the glovebox. There is a large green screw that holds the fuse box in place, which you will have to pull down.

The complete fuse location schematic is in the trunk passenger side compartment if I am not mistaken...
Old 03-03-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Quote:
Should I be assessing other items?
yes.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...earch?q=Blower
Thank you Doug, I will search through this information.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoCarNut View Post
Quote:
Do you have a multi-meter you can use to check the wiring loom? It sounds like the blower motor issue may have damaged the harness and/or blown the fuse.

The fuse for the blower is under the glove compartment on the passenger side. You have to remove the trim panel in the footwell (3 screws) right below the glovebox. There is a large green screw that holds the fuse box in place, which you will have to pull down.

The complete fuse location schematic is in the trunk passenger side compartment if I am not mistaken...
Yes no power to the loom. I do not have the schematic but it appears that the fuse may be 48 and non removable if I am reading the information Doug sent correctly. So I am wondering if I have to replace the entire junction box if this fuse is bad?
Old 03-03-2020, 09:14 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Yes no power to the loom. I do not have the schematic but it appears that the fuse may be 48 and non removable if I am reading the information Doug sent correctly. So I am wondering if I have to replace the entire junction box if this fuse is bad?
What are you 'reading' that makes you think F48 is (somehow) not removable?!?

Looks to me like a simple fuse, but Im not gonna crawl under the dash to look...

Oh, Doug SENT you the actual SCHEMATIC... no?

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...blower/c919gk0

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 03-03-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Quote:
What are you 'reading' that makes you think F48 is (somehow) not removable?!?

Looks to me like a simple fuse, but Im not gonna crawl under the dash to look...

Oh, Doug SENT you the actual SCHEMATIC... no?

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...blower/c919gk0
Non replaceable is what I read.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nents/f-fuses/
Old 03-03-2020, 10:18 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

I see that now. (I was only reading the schematic) BMW has a few of those, mind-boggling, eh?

Did you use a multi-meter and verify voltages (or lack thereof) at the terminals on the schematic I linked?

As a diagnostic step, you can jumper to get power past the fuse....

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Last edited by ard; 03-03-2020 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:02 PM

Well replaced the front junction fuse box and the new blower is working. Appreciate all the assistance with this issue, on to the next project.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:10 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Thanks for closing the loop. Id never heard of one of those fuses blowing....

Old 03-13-2020, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Another issue that can cause that is weak battery. My blower was working intermittently the other week and I figured out it was my battery. Battery was original (8 yrs old) and was not able to hold sufficient charge in cold weather. The low battery also caused a transmission error code, something about transmission not being in park (this happened for weeks). After I replaced battery I have not had another issue with either.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:29 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

^ This is due to them BMW system which conserves \power to certain subsystems when the charge is too low. I think their 'theory' was 'conserve stuff that is needed to start the car, we can then charge later'

Problem is that some modules are starved for power- when they power on, they can be scrambled or just fail to communicate, causing errors. Sometimes permanent errors.

Classic is a problem starting, maybe a jump- then a christmas tree of lights...trip to the dealer..6-8 codes from disparate subsystems...and a dealer quote of $3700 to shotgun parts.

FWIW.....

Old 03-15-2020, 01:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to mitch1340 Send a message via Yahoo to mitch1340
Mein Auto: 1997 540i-6sp, 2000 540it
Most likely you didn't have to change the motor. Just need to charge or replace the battery.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search