Eco Mode Increases Coolant Temps 10 deg f - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
Eco Mode Increases Coolant Temps 10 deg f

I just started trying Eco Mode after 4400 miles, and discovered it ran up my 75 mph hwy cruising temp from 215 deg f to 225 deg f.

Those BMW guys can really execute ideas in the car, but since I'll always drive in hot Texas weather, I'll stick with my original idea of Eco Mode and ASS off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: S-Drive X1
Are you documenting this with a Scangauge or Ultragauge OBD II device. If so, very interesting. My permanently mounted Ultraguage on my other car, a Toyota RAV 4, shows a deviation of no more than 5 or 6 degrees under all driving conditions once the engine is warmed up.

Any thoughts as to why?
Old 09-13-2013, 06:19 PM

It's a scangauge, and I thought it was 5 deg for the first part of trip, but on way back I had steady 215 deg at 90 deg ambient and steady 75 mph.

Several times I would push on Eco Mode, and it would get up to 225 in a couple minutes, and hold.

Then, I'd turn off and it goes back to 215.

I've always known that the last half of a 300 mile trip is the best mileage since the fluids are all heated up.

This might be good for someone that takes short trips or winter driving, but I don't need the extra heat in the desert.

I'm sure the BMW guys know that extra heat while driving easy will get some mpg, but no thanks here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 07:26 PM

Last week on a 1600 mile road trip, I turned the air conditioning off to try 70 deg outside air and the coolant went from 215 deg to 230 deg.

Damn, I thought I had a air bubble in the system or something.

No wonder they don't put a gauge in or people would be freaking out on them.

I think the electric water pump has enough magic that they can just vary the speed to change the temp at any parameter they think will make gas mileage.

Just like when you jerk back on the cruise control, and it brakes instantly to that lower speed as in "saw a speed trap".
Old 09-14-2013, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 XLine
Where can u see the temp on the X1? I still didnt found it.
Btw, I have the iDrive professional.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: S-Drive X1
Those temps seem dangerously high but I am no engineer and perhaps direct injected engines work at higher temps.

Years ago I had an '89 Mercedes and the temps were all over the place and not infrequently close to the red zone with AC at idle. That was considered to be normal. The fan had two speeds and was noisy as all getout when it kicked into high.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaKiT View Post
Where can u see the temp on the X1? I still didnt found it.
Btw, I have the iDrive professional.

Here you go, American ingenuity at it's finest.

This Scangauge II can be bought from many sites for less than the $169 suggested retail price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scangauge 003.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	396846  
Old 09-18-2013, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 325Ci Vert

It's a feature to save gas. The computer adjusts the coolant temperature depending on how hard you drive the car ( with EcoPro being the highest temperature). If you turn off EcoPro, the temperature will go back down

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-18-2013, 07:28 AM

I get why Eco Pro should save gas, but 215 deg on a cruise is all I want, and the mpg improvement seemed minimal for the extra heat load.

Most people would think Eco Pro does it by easing the throttle.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Sandlapper Chapter

Mein Auto: 2015 M4, 2015 i3
Anybody know what this thing does on the 35i?
All the manual states is it messes with the a/c. If it's hot out, I don't need that.
2002 X5 3.0i/man./SP/PP/Sirius/BT/Silver/Beige*
2006 330i/man./SP/PP/CWP/Sirius/Arktis/Grau*
2001 525i/step./SP/PP/CP/CWP/Xenons/Rear Shade/OEM Sirius/OEM BT/OEM AUX/M5 Rear Sway/Bilstein HDs/Beisan Vanos/Rear Fogs/Schiefergrün/Sandbeige*
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Premium/Tech/Dinan Stage 2*
2015 i3 Capparisweiss/Solaric
2015 M4/man./Mineralgrau/Schwarz
*retired
Old 09-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW i3 BEV
Well I have been using EcoPro a lot, and yesterday as I got in my X1 after work, I got a "low coolant level" alert. I called Beverly Hills BMW and made an appointment for this morning. They have my X1 now so I'll update later. But I will ask them if this might be related to my frequent use of EcoPro. I use EcoPro almost exclusively on freeways. But in LA, that's a lot of the time. Mine's an sDrive, 2013 with 11,600 miles.

By the way, a quick search last night for "BMW coolant level warning" brought up a fair number of forum hits, for other models. Apparently it is not infrequent on newer BMWs in the first 10 to 20,000 miles. Some theorize that the coolant level wasn't "settled" in production, or something like that. I saw some older posts where the OP followed up later to say the problems hadn't reoccurred.

When I got in the X1 this morning the warning light was gone, but of course I still took it in. I didn't actually pop the hood and check the coolant, but in the search I read where those who had quickly verified that the coolant was indeed dangerously low. So like I said, when I get the X1 back later I'll ask about any EcoPro connection, and report back.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:21 AM

I was considering a coolant burp after my X1 s28i at 3k miles went up to 234 deg f, usually when not driving hard.

I read normal temp should be no more than 248 deg, and I'd like to not ever get near that.

I finally caught my X1 giving consistent 215, and when Eco Pro turned on it would go quickly to 224, then tip over to 225, so I decided it was a number that BMW told it to hit.

I'm gonna definitely get a oil sample tested with Blackstone when I change at my halfway service time interval to check for coolant.

I had a 2.3 turbo 85 Cougar that seemed to not like the turbo boost, and spew water so I never pressed it much.

In hindsight I should have pressed Ford, since the net later allowed me to find out that Ford had lots of trouble getting tight head gaskets.

When you'd drive hard the pressure would spill into the cooling system, and blow water out, etc.

Last edited by 0w40X1; 09-18-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 XLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
Here you go, American ingenuity at it's finest.

This Scangauge II can be bought from many sites for less than the $169 suggested retail price.
Is that the only way to check the temp of your x1 o.O

Old 09-18-2013, 06:13 PM

^There's the Ultra gauge made in China for under $100, and reviews say not as accurate.

You could find a way to attach a real gauge, but it would have a cost and be harder to install.

I like the ScanGauge for being small behind the steering wheel, easy to read, and more parameters than you need.

Nearly all cars made the last 10 years that have a coolant gauge, don't actually give you a temp.

They show you the car is warmed up, but don't move anymore until it's overheating; essentially the same as having a red dash light for over heating like the BMW X1.

Last edited by 0w40X1; 09-18-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:57 PM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i,Z3 Coupe 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
^There's the Ultra gauge made in China for under $100, and reviews say not as accurate.
Nearly all cars made the last 10 years that have a coolant gauge, don't actually give you a temp.
Some people do say internal mpg calculations are off on the Ultragauge, but for actual sensors on the car, it's going to report what the car says and that data can not be inaccurate unless the car sensors are bad and even then any gauge including scangauge would be wrong. I don't care what it says mpg is, right or wrong, but I do care about temperatures and mph being accurate which both scangauge and ultragauge would be 100% identical in what they display.

To the second comment, the xDrive35i does have a oil temperature gauge which is often considered a more accurate measure of the actual engine temperature.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:44 AM

Funny thing is the X1 odometer is dead on, but the miles in the SG have to be adjusted up 4% to equal it.

I think the SG and UG both have fuel count accuracy when adjusted at the gas pump.

UG also hunts codes applying to the car it's plugged into, but if I find then SG x gauge codes for the oil and trans temp codes, it'll have everything I need.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Mullini

OK I was the poster with the X1 that had a "low coolant level" alert come on. Picked it up yesterday afternoon and left a message for my SA, and he called me not long after. He said the coolant was a little low but not dangerously so. "New BMWs sometimes go through a period of adjustment and things like this happen," he basically said. He didn't say anything on the EcoPro theory. He suggested that if I get the warning light again, I could either bring it in or just put some distilled water in. Writing it up it might come across as if he didn't take this seriously, but that wasn't the impression as we talked. Anyway, my one year service is in two months, so we'll see. In the meanwhile, I am going to drive without EcoPro and see what is does to my MPG avg. I have routinely been at around 27.5, in Los Angeles driving.

One slight annoyance - I have never reset my main trip computer, but when I got the X1 back it had been reset. So before I had my average speed and MPG since I bought the X1 last November. I forget what the average speed was, but I know my MPG was exactly at 28, through 11,600 miles, due to one long road trip in early July where I was able to get some real highway cruising in for a few hundred miles. Oh well, no big deal. I'll just compare my trip computer MPG readings now to my pump calculations.

Last edited by mullini; 09-19-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:44 AM

^My X1 didn't float the stick so I had them add some while I watched, and it was just a few oz's anyway.

What they mean is that it's hard to get air out of cooling system whenever coolant is changed and especially when new.

I've had two Dodge vehicles for 13 years that never used any coolant, and I never changed to avoid the air bubble problem.

My theory is: you are more likely to cause trouble by contamination or incompatible coolant than the corrosion of late long life coolants.

I'm sure I'll get feedback for my less is more maintenance.

As for the BMW X1 trip computer, I have no idea how the avg mpg or mpg works.

Does it show when the avg started?

I noticed I was on the track and it showed about 15mpg, and a few days later and maybe 500 miles of easy mpg driving it got back up to about 28mpg.

Every time the car is started the SG rests avg or you can reset while cruising to see what mpg you can get.

I discovered the X1 s28i can get about 45 mpg @ 40mph, and about 30 mpg @ 80 mph, and you can't find that out with the cars data.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Mullini

"As for the BMW X1 trip computer, I have no idea how the avg mpg or mpg works." The trip computer has to be reset through iDrive on my X1 - I don't know how it works on a BMW without iDrive. I believe it is under "Options." Or Possibly "Settings." Frankly, after 10 months with the X1 and iDrive, I still forget where to look for certain functions in iDrive and have to go on a mini scavenger hunt.

So whereas until yesterday my trip computer showed average speed and MPG for the odometer reading of 11,600 miles, now it only has avg speed and MPG since the reset. I've done about 40 miles of driving since then and my average speed reads about 40 and just over 24 MPG. It's no biggie. Probably in running checks on the car it got automatically reset.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:48 AM

I'm not sure that the mpg uses all the miles on car for mpg, just some of the latest miles.

And if it really is a total mpg for car life, it only tells me what I already know: you can drive around town, etc. and still average 25+ mpg.

In other words, if it's not by tank or current use, it does nothing except pat you on the back for buying a fuel efficient performance car.

Maybe I need to reset, but I didn't buy iDrive, and the SG is very easy to set and read.

Last edited by 0w40X1; 09-19-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: X1

Engineering wise it makes sense that Eco pro mode increases coolant temp. When the engine shuts down the car starts to cool down. The engineers wouldn't want the engine temp to fall below the optimal min temperature. The increased heat give the engine some time before the temp goes too low.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:19 PM

^I've done the same trick years ago by putting cardboard in the grill to get coolant hotter on a cold day.

It's a brilliant idea, but BMW's already have high heat for thermal efficiency.

I'm not about to risk thousands of $ repairs for a minor mpg improvement.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:56 AM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i,Z3 Coupe 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydrz View Post
Anybody know what this thing does on the 35i?
All the manual states is it messes with the a/c. If it's hot out, I don't need that.
EcoPro on the 35i mainly keeps you from doing faster/jack rabbit starts on acceleration unless you put your foot down all the way then it takes off in a roar like normal. It also changes gears sooner so that the RPM's stay lower and also save more gas.

It can mess with AC but I've never noticed even on 105 degree days. In fact, I drive with EcoPro on 98% of the time. I usually save about 6-12 miles per fill up depending, and I have a extremely big lead foot. With EcoPro I usually get about 22.8+/-4mpg and without ecopro on I get about 21.2mpg+/-5.

As far as ecopro changing the oil temp, the nice thing is the 35i has the temp gauge instead of a mpg gauge. I've seen the oil temp hit 245 degrees with eco pro on and off. I've only started watching the last few days because of this thread, but I'm not sure if ecopro effects the 35i's coolant temp much if at all. I typically see my oil temp /around/ 235 most of the time but on 75mph highway driving I've seen it stay about 245 with and without eco pro on and even around the town on a 70 degree night I've seen it up around 245 in both modes and not when I've been hard on throttle but at 50mph for a 7 mile single road to get to/from my home.

I do use torque but I haven't checked coolant temps with it, but I do have an UltraGauge that should be here any day and I'll make sure coolant temp is on the main screen for a while so I can monitor it more closely and get back to you.

One last thing, I do think (though I could be wrong) that when ecopro is on, the brake regeneration mechanics are engaged more often (all the time when the battery isn't fully charged?). To me, I seem to feel that there is a fair difference between letting off the gas and coasting with and without eco pro on. But maybe it's in my head plus I don't really have a way to tell, or maybe I do by watching volts of various rails in the car with torque or ultragauge... Hmm.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:23 AM

I think the X1 has a large alternator to charge heavily when it's needed to make up for when it's off.

After my long 1600 miles road trip a few weeks ago, the volts were looking a lot better; on decel I'd get 13.6 instead of 14.7, and it felt like it was braking less.

I don't think Eco Pro would engage charging any more on decel, and that wouldn't improve mpg anyway.

If you have a garage or electricity, plug in a battery tender that charges 1.25 amps all the time while you're home.

Then, when you drive you'll see lots of 12-12.8 volts and not much alternator braking.

I'm interested in seeing your coolant vs oil temps, and how the ultragauge works.

I'm on my 3rd SG, and understand it well, so I'm resistant to change.

Last edited by 0w40X1; 09-20-2013 at 08:26 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search