i3 for EV conversion but no keys! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)

BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i3 and BMW i8 are the first two cars launch under BMW's new sub brand BMW i. The i3 is an all carbon fiber, all electric vehicle meant for urban mobility.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:55 AM

Mein Auto:
i3 for EV conversion but no keys!

Hey guys. I just picked up a non Rex salvaged i3 here in Australia (front end collision) I'm a big fan of these cars and I'm going to be using the existing driveline (motor and controller) and batteries and transplant them into a project car. I'm hoping to not have to use any third party controllers or software at this stage as I have the complete car but if I have no choice I will go down the third party route. My first issue though is the car didn't come with keys and I'm having a hard time tracking them down. I know I can get a replacement fob from Bmw, they will charge me 960 dollars (Australian) and 741 without the metal key(which I obviously won't use) and the car is unlocked anyway. The funny thing is when I brought the Systems back online the car still thought the key was present and it was on, but while I was trying to bring the hv line back on(many of the safety interlocks were removed) I turned off the power button and now it won't come back on. Is there a way I can bypass the immobiliser and start the car without the key so I can continue diagnosing and checking all the components? I can take apart all the components on the dash/gear selector if need be. I'd just rather not spend the seven or so hundred of i don't need to. Especially when I won't be needing or using the key fob for the conversion anyway. Any help or questions are welcome and I will be documenting the process for those who are interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2019, 07:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
You may be stuck without a fob. In your new vehicle, you'd need to at least incorporate the steering wheel and column components so the new fob's receiver would enable you to start up the electronics. Without the door sensors, things won't 'wake up' when you unlock, though. Someone else was trying to resurrect an i3, and if the safety interlock was activated, they had issues trying to reset it.

I don't know enough about the electronics to help you find a way to bypass the normal interlocks and startup.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto:
Hi, yes I am intending to transplant most of the Componenents to the other car, including screens and steering column controls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2019, 08:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
FWIW, at least on some other BMW models, if you have no working fob, it won't let you add a new one and you'd then need to also purchase the mated internal computer. I was told that that was done to prevent just anyone from trying to add their own fob and then driving it away.

While there are nefarious ways to clone an existing one, that still requires a working one.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search