EOS Battery Tester - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)

BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i3 and BMW i8 are the first two cars launch under BMW's new sub brand BMW i. The i3 is an all carbon fiber, all electric vehicle meant for urban mobility.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:01 AM
Tombmwfan Tombmwfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 24
Mein Auto:
EOS Battery Tester

Hi all,

Can anyone shed any light on how I might bypass the EOS test on an i3 battery? I've fixed everything on the car after a crash so this is the last issue to get it running again.(I hope!). The battery is totally fine, I just don't have the special BMW laptop to do the final test and generate the 12 digit code to re-engage the high voltage system.

Seems as though taking it to BMW and having them do it is the only way to get it done, which is a shame for those of us that work on cars...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eos.PNG
Views:	156
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	837227  
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:22 AM
God-Follower's Avatar
God-Follower God-Follower is offline
Achtung! Hochspannung!
Location: Pacific Northwest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,286
Mein Auto: 2018 i3, F10 535d
So, the EOS test is in place to verify battery integrity before reinstallation. However, if you did not replace the SME the car actually has no way of knowing you even had the battery out, or opened. So you will not need the 12 digit code to reactivate it if the SME VIN still matches the VIN of the car.

The EOS tester is what locks the SME after testing, then ISTA unlocks it with the code the EOS tester provides. No EOS test or SME replacment=no code needed.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:39 AM
Tombmwfan Tombmwfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 24
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Follower View Post
So, the EOS test is in place to verify battery integrity before reinstallation. However, if you did not replace the SME the car actually has no way of knowing you even had the battery out, or opened. So you will not need the 12 digit code to reactivate it if the SME VIN still matches the VIN of the car.

The EOS tester is what locks the SME after testing, then ISTA unlocks it with the code the EOS tester provides. No EOS test or SME replacment=no code needed.
So the EOS test can only close the HV contacts in the safety box if it was originally opened by the EOS tester? How bad is it if I tried 000000000000 as the code in the service function (which I definitely did)?

If so that is potentially good news, although now I don't know why the HV contacts won't close and start the HV system back up. Is there anything else specific you have to do after a crash to get the HV contacts to close?

I have attached a screenshot of the remaining faults, any ideas??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ISTA 1.PNG
Views:	159
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	837237   Click image for larger version

Name:	ISTA 2.PNG
Views:	158
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	837239  
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 01-23-2019, 10:00 AM
God-Follower's Avatar
God-Follower God-Follower is offline
Achtung! Hochspannung!
Location: Pacific Northwest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,286
Mein Auto: 2018 i3, F10 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombmwfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Follower View Post
So, the EOS test is in place to verify battery integrity before reinstallation. However, if you did not replace the SME the car actually has no way of knowing you even had the battery out, or opened. So you will not need the 12 digit code to reactivate it if the SME VIN still matches the VIN of the car.

The EOS tester is what locks the SME after testing, then ISTA unlocks it with the code the EOS tester provides. No EOS test or SME replacment=no code needed.
So the EOS test can only close the HV contacts in the safety box if it was originally opened by the EOS tester? How bad is it if I tried 000000000000 as the code in the service function (which I definitely did)?

If so that is potentially good news, although now I don't know why the HV contacts won't close and start the HV system back up. Is there anything else specific you have to do after a crash to get the HV contacts to close?

I have attached a screenshot of the remaining faults, any ideas??
Was the SME replaced? Is this the same car the battery came out of?

Did the crash deploy any airbags, or the 12V battery safety cable?

The SME is locked(your transport mode fault), so something told it there was an incident. Just removing and reinstalling the battery will not set that fault.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-23-2019, 10:08 AM
Tombmwfan Tombmwfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 24
Mein Auto:
It was in a crash (I bought it at an insurance auction). Multiple airbags deployed, seatbelt tensioner and the BST. I've bypassed all those sensors so that the faults don't come up anymore. To my knowledge, the SME is original and untouched and the battery has never been removed.

Do I need to reflash the SME after a crash?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-23-2019, 10:17 AM
God-Follower's Avatar
God-Follower God-Follower is offline
Achtung! Hochspannung!
Location: Pacific Northwest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,286
Mein Auto: 2018 i3, F10 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombmwfan View Post
It was in a crash (I bought it at an insurance auction). Multiple airbags deployed, seatbelt tensioner and the BST. I've bypassed all those sensors so that the faults don't come up anymore. To my knowledge, the SME is original and untouched and the battery has never been removed.

Do I need to reflash the SME after a crash?
When the BST blows, it also disconnects the HV contactors via crash signal to the SME, and drops 30C which powers the contactor solenoids(springing them open). So the SME knows the car was in a crash. However, unless it detects a fault with the HV contactors it should be allowing you to reactivate it.

If you look back in your original ISTA operations report before running the HV battery startup procedure, was your transport mode fault stored?

I have never run the test plan on a functioning car to see if it puts the SME in transport mode before, not sure if it is capable or not.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-23-2019, 10:30 AM
Tombmwfan Tombmwfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 24
Mein Auto:
Unfortunately I've not been saving test reports (although I will from now on...).

I can't remember if the transport mode fault was there before, there were about 50 fault codes to begin with.

So it could be that it needs a new EOS test because I put an incorrect code in or that the safety box in the battery needs replacing?

If BMW had the vin of my i3 and put that into the EOS, ran a test on another battery in the workshop using my vin, would that generate the right code?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-23-2019, 12:15 PM
God-Follower's Avatar
God-Follower God-Follower is offline
Achtung! Hochspannung!
Location: Pacific Northwest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,286
Mein Auto: 2018 i3, F10 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombmwfan View Post
Unfortunately I've not been saving test reports (although I will from now on...).

I can't remember if the transport mode fault was there before, there were about 50 fault codes to begin with.

So it could be that it needs a new EOS test because I put an incorrect code in or that the safety box in the battery needs replacing?

If BMW had the vin of my i3 and put that into the EOS, ran a test on another battery in the workshop using my vin, would that generate the right code?
Unless you can clear that transport mode fault, It looks like it needs an EOS test. It won't do any good to give them your VIN number, as all it does is store the code in the SME and then gives it to you to put in ISTA. VIN irrelevant.

There is a small chance that running the delete transport mode test plan will clear this out. Another small chance that INPA will have an application/tool to help clear this fault out, not sure though as again I have not tried.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-23-2019, 01:05 PM
Tombmwfan Tombmwfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 24
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Follower View Post
Unless you can clear that transport mode fault, It looks like it needs an EOS test. It won't do any good to give them your VIN number, as all it does is store the code in the SME and then gives it to you to put in ISTA. VIN irrelevant.

There is a small chance that running the delete transport mode test plan will clear this out. Another small chance that INPA will have an application/tool to help clear this fault out, not sure though as again I have not tried.
Ok, well I'll keep pursuing getting hold of an EOS tester with a local dealer. I have run the transport mode delete service function to no avail. The service manual does say that the battery needs to be removed for a visual inspection after a crash. Is there any chance that physically removing it and disconnecting it would reset anything in the battery safety module? I'll give it a go anyway.

I'll look into whether or not INPA would work too. Anyone reading this that knows INPA well, let me know if you think this is a possibility?

Thank you God-follower for your help, I really appreciate it. I'm actually going to be taking the electric drivetrain out of the i3 and putting it into a BMW 2002 from 1974, have a look at Arago_Automotive on Instagram if you are interested? Tom
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-23-2019, 01:13 PM
God-Follower's Avatar
God-Follower God-Follower is offline
Achtung! Hochspannung!
Location: Pacific Northwest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,286
Mein Auto: 2018 i3, F10 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombmwfan View Post
Ok, well I'll keep pursuing getting hold of an EOS tester with a local dealer. I have run the transport mode delete service function to no avail. The service manual does say that the battery needs to be removed for a visual inspection after a crash. Is there any chance that physically removing it and disconnecting it would reset anything in the battery safety module? I'll give it a go anyway.

I'll look into whether or not INPA would work too. Anyone reading this that knows INPA well, let me know if you think this is a possibility?

Thank you God-follower for your help, I really appreciate it. I'm actually going to be taking the electric drivetrain out of the i3 and putting it into a BMW 2002 from 1974, have a look at Arago_Automotive on Instagram if you are interested? Tom
The conversion sounds fun! I am planning on doing a dual powertrain retrofit, taking two i3 drivetrains and replacing two 351W motors on a boat. We have the initial schematics drawn up, just waiting for the right time in terms of boating season and financing. Hopefully in the next two years.

I wouldn't hold your breath on getting a loaner EOS tester from a dealer, they run about $12k last time I looked. And the best part, you have to remove the battery from the car at least 12 inches to run the test; the pressure adapter that goes over the vent won't fit with it in the car

Removing it and even opening the lid is a completely silent process to the vehicle, it has no way to monitor if the battery has been disconnected or opened. Only if parts are replaced can it tell that service work was done.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Tombmwfan Tombmwfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 24
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Follower View Post
The conversion sounds fun! I am planning on doing a dual powertrain retrofit, taking two i3 drivetrains and replacing two 351W motors on a boat. We have the initial schematics drawn up, just waiting for the right time in terms of boating season and financing. Hopefully in the next two years.

I wouldn't hold your breath on getting a loaner EOS tester from a dealer, they run about $12k last time I looked. And the best part, you have to remove the battery from the car at least 12 inches to run the test; the pressure adapter that goes over the vent won't fit with it in the car

Removing it and even opening the lid is a completely silent process to the vehicle, it has no way to monitor if the battery has been disconnected or opened. Only if parts are replaced can it tell that service work was done.
That sounds really cool, I like the idea of a boat silently zipping through the water.

I've heard from someone else you can just put an elbow on the coolant line and you don't need to take the battery out, although for me it'll be easier to just take the battery to the dealer in the back of a van. I'll follow the service manual for the visual inspection of the battery, it might have suffered in the crash but isn't visible from underneath. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-23-2019, 01:45 PM
God-Follower's Avatar
God-Follower God-Follower is offline
Achtung! Hochspannung!
Location: Pacific Northwest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,286
Mein Auto: 2018 i3, F10 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombmwfan View Post
That sounds really cool, I like the idea of a boat silently zipping through the water.

I've heard from someone else you can just put an elbow on the coolant line and you don't need to take the battery out, although for me it'll be easier to just take the battery to the dealer in the back of a van. I'll follow the service manual for the visual inspection of the battery, it might have suffered in the crash but isn't visible from underneath. Thanks again!
Hmm...I would question whether the other person is familiar with the process. The cooling(refrigerant, by the way) system is actually not tested during the EOS test. There is a large square adapter that goes over the black "vent"(actually a pressure relief valve with a membrane to prevent water intrusion) on the left rear of the battery that allows it to pressurize the battery housing, and then measure it for leakage after it builds sufficient pressure. That is the adapter that will not fit.

Good luck on getting this handled! Let us know how you pan out.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-23-2019, 01:56 PM
Tombmwfan Tombmwfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 24
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Follower View Post
Hmm...I would question whether the other person is familiar with the process. The cooling(refrigerant, by the way) system is actually not tested during the EOS test. There is a large square adapter that goes over the black "vent"(actually a pressure relief valve with a membrane to prevent water intrusion) on the left rear of the battery that allows it to pressurize the battery housing, and then measure it for leakage after it builds sufficient pressure. That is the adapter that will not fit.

Good luck on getting this handled! Let us know how you pan out.
Ah that's interesting. i'll ask them for a pic of what they did. Hopefully I can figure it out.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-16-2019, 08:22 AM
Tombmwfan Tombmwfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 24
Mein Auto:
For anyone interested in this. Having exhausted all other options, I have now purchased an EOS tester.

If you are in the UK or Europe and need an EOS tester, let me know!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-16-2019, 08:29 AM
God-Follower's Avatar
God-Follower God-Follower is offline
Achtung! Hochspannung!
Location: Pacific Northwest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,286
Mein Auto: 2018 i3, F10 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombmwfan View Post
For anyone interested in this. Having exhausted all other options, I have now purchased an EOS tester.

If you are in the UK or Europe and need an EOS tester, let me know!
Thanks for following up!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-08-2019, 02:17 AM
Tombmwfan Tombmwfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 24
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Follower View Post
Thanks for following up!
The EOS tester arrived. It took me about 10 mins to update the firmware and another 30 mins to run the test.

I refitted the battery and ran the ista HV startup service function. Amazingly, the car started right up!!

I'm super happy it's all working and can crack on with building my electric '02! Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-08-2019, 07:32 AM
God-Follower's Avatar
God-Follower God-Follower is offline
Achtung! Hochspannung!
Location: Pacific Northwest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,286
Mein Auto: 2018 i3, F10 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombmwfan View Post
The EOS tester arrived. It took me about 10 mins to update the firmware and another 30 mins to run the test.

I refitted the battery and ran the ista HV startup service function. Amazingly, the car started right up!!

I'm super happy it's all working and can crack on with building my electric '02! Thanks for your help.
Glad to hear it! Thanks for following up, hopefully you can find other people willing to loan the tool from you to help offset the capital of purchasing it yourself. I know we have seen a few Euro owners/fixers looking to acquire an EOS tester.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-17-2019, 05:42 AM
Serhii Serhii is offline
Registered User
Location: Ukraine
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: bicycle
Hi guys!
I have a similar problem with the BMW i3, the car was sunk and now requires a battery test using the EoS Battery Tester. Tombmwfan, under what conditions can you give me to use your tester? Sorry,I now, my English is terrible.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.