Common BMW i3 problems? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)

BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i3 and BMW i8 are the first two cars launch under BMW's new sub brand BMW i. The i3 is an all carbon fiber, all electric vehicle meant for urban mobility.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-20-2018, 02:59 PM
patrick_y patrick_y is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 296
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
Common BMW i3 problems?

What have you found to be a BMW i3 problems? What were the consequences and costs of the repairs? At what mileage did the problem present itself?

Hypothetical answer:

Problem: Abrupt/instantaneous motor mount/engine mount failure
Consequences/Costs: Car vibrated suddenly and made strange noises. I immediately pulled off the road during rush hour! Thankfully no costs as the car was quickly towed to the BMW dealer, repaired, and towing/repair were all covered under warranty. Apparently the motor mount instantaneously collapsed.
Mileage: around 43K miles
Possible attributes to failure: I drive the BMW i3 aggressively and over extremely bad roads, car sometimes even gets airborne. This aggressive driving style and poor road conditions likely attributed to the motor mount failure.
Model Year and Build Date: I have a 2014 that was built in November 2013
BEV or REX?: REX, non sport, no modifications, earlier 2014 build
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-20-2018, 10:44 PM
jadnashuanh jadnashuanh is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,935
Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
There was a service campaign that should have been applied to your vehicle to replace the mounting bolts with stronger ones. That mount eventually was redesigned, sometime the next year. As part of that initial service, there was a software change to more quickly sense and limit the acceleration if a wheel was lifted off the ground, limiting the stresses. Nothing's perfect.
__________________
Jim DeBruycker
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2018, 01:13 AM
patrick_y patrick_y is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 296
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
There was a service campaign that should have been applied to your vehicle to replace the mounting bolts with stronger ones. That mount eventually was redesigned, sometime the next year. As part of that initial service, there was a software change to more quickly sense and limit the acceleration if a wheel was lifted off the ground, limiting the stresses. Nothing's perfect.
Hi Jim, this is just so people can list their problems so we can formulate a list of problems and share our experiences of how to correct them. The problem scenario above is just a hypothetical one. I do not own a BMW i3 and have not experienced any problems personally as of yet. Thanks Jim!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 09-03-2018, 04:50 PM
bphunter1972 bphunter1972 is offline
Registered User
Location: Palo Alto, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 66
Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
This post is now...what, 6 weeks old? And nobody has posted a real problem.

This leads me to believe that:
a) These cars are pretty much perfect, or
b) Nobody buys these cars and/or visits this forum.
__________________
2006 330xi, Mystic Blue, ZPP, ZCW, Black Leather, Alum., CA, Nav, PDC
ED-11/18-12/1 <--> Re-Del: 1/9/06
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-04-2018, 12:06 PM
Tirpitz Tirpitz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 166
Mein Auto: 2014 3GT 28i, 2017 i3 REX
My wife has a 2017 i3 Rex. No issues over almost 20K miles.

When I brought the car in for the first service my service advisor said they had lots of issues on the 2014 cars but from 2015 model year on they have been extremely reliable.

If I was aiming to buy one used I'd avoid the 2014 cars and try to stay with the smaller wheels because lots of people have had wheel damage with the 20" ones.

If you want to see a range of problems that might creep up go join the Facebook i3 group. It is much more active and full of useful info.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-05-2018, 09:47 AM
patrick_y patrick_y is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 296
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bphunter1972 View Post
This post is now...what, 6 weeks old? And nobody has posted a real problem.

This leads me to believe that:
a) These cars are pretty much perfect, or
b) Nobody buys these cars and/or visits this forum.
Isn't that a good sign! Suggests that there are few problems with BMW i3 vehicles!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-05-2018, 09:50 AM
patrick_y patrick_y is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 296
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirpitz View Post
My wife has a 2017 i3 Rex. No issues over almost 20K miles.

When I brought the car in for the first service my service advisor said they had lots of issues on the 2014 cars but from 2015 model year on they have been extremely reliable.

If I was aiming to buy one used I'd avoid the 2014 cars and try to stay with the smaller wheels because lots of people have had wheel damage with the 20" ones.

If you want to see a range of problems that might creep up go join the Facebook i3 group. It is much more active and full of useful info.
Old school here, not a Facebook user. I'm not important enough to be on Facebook, I'm not a movie star, who in their right mind would want to know more about my life? I also don't like giving away my privacy for free. And I find showing off my vacations, haute cuisine dinners, etc. to my "friends" somewhat vulgar and "sticking it" to them.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-05-2018, 10:22 AM
The Other Tom The Other Tom is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,220
Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_y View Post
Old school here, not a Facebook user. I'm not important enough to be on Facebook, I'm not a movie star, who in their right mind would want to know more about my life? I also don't like giving away my privacy for free. And I find showing off my vacations, haute cuisine dinners, etc. to my "friends" somewhat vulgar and "sticking it" to them.
I felt the same way until I joined the i3 FB group. These groups on FB are becoming the replacement for forums like this. You don't have to share your vacation pictures, etc and FB has taken some measures to protect your privacy, although you have to dig through the settings to find them.
Also, the mybmwi3.com forum is more active than this one.
To answer you question, I have a '17 i3 that that developed a bad KLE (some type of controller) and was replaced under warranty. Other than that, no issues.
__________________
2017 i3 REx
2008 335i retired
2001 325i retired
2000 M Roadster Imola Red retired
1998 Z3 2.8L retired
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-06-2018, 03:36 PM
Tom_558 Tom_558 is offline
Enjoying our X3 and i3.
Location: Napa
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 279
Mein Auto: X3 xDrive28i
We have a 2014 BEV and have had no issues. I've heard the 2014 REX have had problems but the BEV has served us well. We do not have the DC fast charge and have not missed it. We drive the i3 about 300 miles per month, primarily around town and trips 15 to 20 miles away. Anything needing more room, two adults in the back, or more distance and we use the X3. This is a CPO that was put in service in 2015 and still has some left on the original warranty and service.
__________________
2016 X3 xDrive28i Mineral White/Black/Burl Premium, Technology, Driver Assistance Plus, xLine, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance w/Parking, Lighting

2014 i3 base CPO purchased 20170701 w/ 12223 miles.

2014 Lexus RX350 Trade-in on X3

Mine: 2012 Kia Sportage pretty much stock. (SOLD 3/4/16)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-08-2018, 10:17 AM
Tirpitz Tirpitz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 166
Mein Auto: 2014 3GT 28i, 2017 i3 REX
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_y View Post
Old school here, not a Facebook user. I'm not important enough to be on Facebook, I'm not a movie star, who in their right mind would want to know more about my life? I also don't like giving away my privacy for free. And I find showing off my vacations, haute cuisine dinners, etc. to my "friends" somewhat vulgar and "sticking it" to them.
I understand and agree with you.

However if you wanted to join and created an account under a fake name to do so you wouldn't be alone.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Tom_558 Tom_558 is offline
Enjoying our X3 and i3.
Location: Napa
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 279
Mein Auto: X3 xDrive28i
I have been on FB for several years now and post quite frequently. My "friends" on FB are all family or close friends, about 20, and I like to see what is going on in their lives (especially our daughters and their families) and sharing with them what we are up to. It is great to see pictures of the grandkids, family and friends doing things they are excited about. Our daughters are very involved in groups related to their work and lives and we can see some of that on FB that we would have missed otherwise. Like many other things, FB is what you make of it and we have found it useful.
__________________
2016 X3 xDrive28i Mineral White/Black/Burl Premium, Technology, Driver Assistance Plus, xLine, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance w/Parking, Lighting

2014 i3 base CPO purchased 20170701 w/ 12223 miles.

2014 Lexus RX350 Trade-in on X3

Mine: 2012 Kia Sportage pretty much stock. (SOLD 3/4/16)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-12-2018, 02:24 AM
patrick_y patrick_y is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 296
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Tom View Post
I felt the same way until I joined the i3 FB group. These groups on FB are becoming the replacement for forums like this. You don't have to share your vacation pictures, etc and FB has taken some measures to protect your privacy, although you have to dig through the settings to find them.
Also, the mybmwi3.com forum is more active than this one.
To answer you question, I have a '17 i3 that that developed a bad KLE (some type of controller) and was replaced under warranty. Other than that, no issues.
I've read the mybmwi3.com website fairly thoroughly. Seems like there aren't that many recurring problems! A good sign!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-12-2018, 02:28 AM
patrick_y patrick_y is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 296
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_558 View Post
We have a 2014 BEV and have had no issues. I've heard the 2014 REX have had problems but the BEV has served us well. We do not have the DC fast charge and have not missed it. We drive the i3 about 300 miles per month, primarily around town and trips 15 to 20 miles away. Anything needing more room, two adults in the back, or more distance and we use the X3. This is a CPO that was put in service in 2015 and still has some left on the original warranty and service.
I'd drive it a lot more than 300 miles a month! Even if it were just around town in Napa.

Dean and Deluca daily breakfast sandwich run will get more than 300 miles a month for me! Genova Deli on Trancas St. for "lunner" (my lunch/dinner combo). And a quick drive to Calistoga just to see the sights is always nice!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-12-2018, 02:30 AM
patrick_y patrick_y is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 296
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirpitz View Post
I understand and agree with you.

However if you wanted to join and created an account under a fake name to do so you wouldn't be alone.
Thanks for the advice! I wonder if "OPEC LOL" username is already taken!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-21-2019, 10:06 PM
sipabit sipabit is offline
Registered User
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 2016 BMW i3 REX
Problem: Aprupt disruption of charge. Stopped charging midway through charging.
Consequences/Costs: Restarted it a couple times. Check engine light went off and it charged properly. Took it to the dealer and they looked into it. Not sure what they did just yet, but it was covered under warranty.
Mileage: around 34k miles
Possible attributes to failure: Absolutely no clue.
Model Year and Build Date: 2016
BEV or REX?: REX, non sport, no modifications
Location: USA
__________________
A fanatic of all things electric. Ridables like electric ice chests and stand up scooters I adore. Drones like DJI, I root for. I'm a fan of both, but nothing beats my love for my 2016 i3 Rex with Deka World. Shhh, don't tell my wife.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-15-2019, 07:20 PM
BMWtechN63 BMWtechN63 is offline
Registered User
Location: not sure
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 92
Mein Auto: Not a BMW
2017 + models really don't have any issues. All the issues and recalls were with the 16 and lower year models.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-03-2019, 01:04 AM
Andrew*Debbie's Avatar
Andrew*Debbie Andrew*Debbie is offline
resU deretsigeR
Location: Anglesey
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,259
Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_y View Post
I've read the mybmwi3.com website fairly thoroughly. Seems like there aren't that many recurring problems! A good sign!

2014-2015 i3 with Range Extender have issues in the UK. Not all of them break but when they do repairs can be very expensive. Some recently reported issues -- motor mount bolts*, REME, water getting into wiring, fuel pump relay, door seals (both Rex and BEV). Just saw a report of a failed motor bearing. 3rd party warranty will not cover the repair because the car will still drive. A couple old reports of failed KLE (both BEV and Rex) -- those will probably have been sorted under warranty and not an issue if you are buying a used one.


I founds these on SpeakEV (UK EV forum) and the UK BMW i3 FB group.

Two reports of AC leaks. One on myBMWi3 (condenser) and one on UK FB group (cause unknown. investigation ongoing).



*The motor mount bolts were supposed to be replaced during a recall. Some UK BMW dealers ran out of parts and only did the software part of the recall.
__________________
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 04-03-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.