Charging problem - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)

BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i3 and BMW i8 are the first two cars launch under BMW's new sub brand BMW i. The i3 is an all carbon fiber, all electric vehicle meant for urban mobility.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 i3 REX Tera
Charging problem

I have a 2015 i3 REX and may have an issue with charging.

The i3 is plugged into a new Clipper Creek 40 amp charger at home. The off peak settings are from 1am to 7am. The departure time is set to 9am. I am retired, but had to choose a time as it seems to be required for the off peak setting. I guess BMW does not think of retired persons when writing software . The car was plugged in before 10pm.

When I checked the i3 at 7:15am the next morning, the car was not charging. When I opened the driver’s side door, it started to charge. This has happened several times now. Shouldn’t the i3 be fully charged by 7am (off peak end time)?

Another occurrence charging at a public charger (also Clipper Creek 40 amp):
Changed charge setting to charge immediately. Car was charging when I left, got back 50 min later, not charging. Looks like only about 10 miles was added so must not have charged for very long. Unplugged and plugged in again, now charging.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 11:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
Considering that it's happened twice on two chargers, it's possible your car may have a charging fault.

Double check you are doing everything properly. And if it still has problems you need to bring the car in to the dealer.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW i3 REX
There may be a conflict with the app on your Clipper Creek EVSE vs the BMW connected app. Your car also has it's own setting on whether to charge immediately or at certain hours. I would advise turning off any automation on the Clipper Creek EVSE, confirm in the settings on your dash that the car is set to charge immediately and then make any changes on the BMW Connected app.

The departure time is required b/c the car is working backwards with pre-warming the batteries. It takes 3 hours for that process to complete. If you don't set a departure time, then the car doesn't know when it should be prepared for maximum range. If you don't drive anywhere near the maximum range of the car, then just pick a time. It doesn't matter.
A fanatic of all things electric. Ridables like electric ice chests and stand up scooters I adore. Drones like DJI, I root for. I'm a fan of both, but nothing beats my love for my 2016 i3 Rex with Deka World. Shhh, don't tell my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: Not a BMW
You say you have a 40 amp charger but the i3 will only accept up to a 7.4kw max charge which is I believe around 30amps. If you are charging with 110v its going to take like 15-18hr full charge. You will need the charge at 220v in order to do a complete charge in about 4.5hrs. Departure time is for heating or cooling the a.c before you get in the vehicle. Your charge times you have are an imidiate charge or low-cost charging. Low-cost charging is where you select the times you want the vehicle to charge and once that time hits, it will start the charging procedure.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
Departure time primarily is there to warm the batteries. Conditioning the cabin is optional. Depending on the ambient temperature, it can take up to 3-hours to prewarm the batteries. The car MUST be connected to an EVSE for it to warm the batteries. If you set a departure time while selecting cabin conditioning but are not connected to an EVSE, it will not warm the batteries, but will still condition the cabin.

I've seen the indication on my EVSE show current at 20A while warming the batteries and conditioning the cabin at the peak when it started with the battery full. This easily exceeds the capacity of the OUC that comes with the car. If you do set a departure time and cabin conditioning while connected to one of those, you may end up with a less than full battery when you leave.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW i3 REX
Just wanted to mention that was a couple times that the car wouldn't take a charge at a public station from SemaConnect. It normally works okay, but it didn't a few times. THought it was my car, brought it into the dealer to check it out. They reset something, tried the same SemaConnect station and it's been on/off working. Sporatic, so I think it's just the public EVSE that has problems.
A fanatic of all things electric. Ridables like electric ice chests and stand up scooters I adore. Drones like DJI, I root for. I'm a fan of both, but nothing beats my love for my 2016 i3 Rex with Deka World. Shhh, don't tell my wife.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search