12v lead acid battery replacement with LiOin - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)

BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i3 and BMW i8 are the first two cars launch under BMW's new sub brand BMW i. The i3 is an all carbon fiber, all electric vehicle meant for urban mobility.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto:
12v lead acid battery replacement with LiOin

Hi All
Hello from Wales, it's raining again

I am new to EV's and have just got a 2016 I3 with a 60AH battery with no REX
The range is a bit of a problem
I am thinking of replacing the 12v lead acid battery with something lighter
at rest, the car draws about 0.003A and the maximum load I can put on it is about 4A
with all light on etc. Which seems small.

Do you think I have made a mistake?
Can I remove the 12v battery and reconnect the same battery, i.e. will it give me error messages
If I fit a new lead-acid battery will I have to register it with CCU what will have if I don't

do you think I will get problem fitting a LiOin battery
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 11:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
The charging curves for a LiOn battery versus any type of lead acid one is quite different. The life of the LiON battery and potential safety IS a problem, IMHO. The computer in the i3 is capable of handling either a wet cell or AGM type lead acid battery. I do not remember LiON being an option. I don't think it will last, and you might blow it up since you'd be trying to charge it to a higher voltage than a lead acid one would allow.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 02 325CI, 15 535xi GT
This is sooo true. I do not have #s in front of me but this is reason for so many thermal runnaways you see on UTube. There are many diff chemistries for Lithium-Cobalt being the most dangerous (Bowing elect fires) but all Lith will take as much charge as you want to give them even though they have a very limited high/low charge rate without damage. If charger is not designed for Lith do not install one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 02 325CI, 15 535xi GT
Another note-Lith do not like to be completely discharged, this can brick a Lith
Old 06-05-2019, 01:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW i3 REX
Yes, it would be a big mistake to replace the lead acid battery with a lithium. The lead acid needs to be charged full all the time which is what the car is designed to do. You wouldn't want that for a lithium of that size. Lithiums can be overcharged w/o a battery management system. You'd have to address a lot of the way the battery is managed. Even if you were able to do that there's really no benefit of having a lithium accessory battery over a lead acid. Remember that when replacing the battery, BMW needs to register it. So unless you have access to registering it with the car w/o BMW knowing, you wouldn't be able to do it anyway.
A fanatic of all things electric. Ridables like electric ice chests and stand up scooters I adore. Drones like DJI, I root for. I'm a fan of both, but nothing beats my love for my 2016 i3 Rex with Deka World. Shhh, don't tell my wife.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
12 volt battery

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search