Flashing i3 with i3s software - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto:
Flashing i3 with i3s software

Hello all, I'm fairly new to the BMW scene and picked up a 2017 i3 REx a few months back. After fooling around with E-Sys for a bit, I began thinking about a possible "tune" for the current i3.

I was wondering, given that all the hardware between the i3 and i3s is identical, if there would be someway to flash the i3s software onto a normal i3. I know there are multiple controllers that control everything in the vehicle, so the first step would be knowing if it's the EDME or REME that handles that.

In my head, it's a lot simpler than the solution likely will actually be, but I'm thinking of it this way: If the only things that are changed in the software files are the output torque and HP, then there should be a small difference in the controller binaries that shows that. It should be easy to just compare the binaries used for the i3 and i3s, and try to decipher the difference.

Given the car was originally meant to have the stats from the i3s, and there are zero differences in the controller PNs or revisions, I feel like this should be something that's relatively simple to accomplish. I work on automotive ECUs, albeit in a very different fashion, but in this case it seems to me like it would be a very simple parameter change from the i3 to the i3s.

I'm still very unfamiliar with how E-Sys works, the various steps with SVTs and TAL calculations, but it would be interesting to see if it really would be as simple as telling E-Sys the vehicle is an i3s and flashing the SW.

Given there are so many people on here that are much more experienced and have a better understanding of E-Sys than I do, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on whether this is just a stupid idea or something that might actually be possible.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming
Today's Posts Search