Motor locked X5 2012 - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Hmmm...I wonder if the OP ([email protected]) is sitting there waiting for emails instead of coming back to the forum?
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2019, 09:45 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
The fact that a BMW dealer is having a continuing conversation with BMWNA likely indicate that is isn't 'his fault' (a hydrolocked would).

If OP gains only one "lesson" prior to their next interaction with dealer or BMWNA, it will be "don't trust them- they aren't your buddy". They also aren't motivated by how good/loyal a customer you've been, nor how much you spent.

Finally, the poster should understand 'goodwill repairs' and BMWs policy on how badly the dealer can screw him, even with BMWNA helping...

Before the next conversation.

I disagree. After leasing 3 BMW's I purchased a one owner e39. Upon turning in my lease car BMWNA waived the 400 dollar return fee after I mentioned my fantastic one owner low mileage with maintenance records purchase.
I made three distinct points in my post.... do you disagree w all 3?

Plus you seem to assert because one person working for bmw once waived a lease fee, that defines how bmw treats everyone?

Hang around for a while.....

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 05-07-2019, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto:
Update: status quo with BMWNA. Still discussing a amicable outcome for both parties.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2019, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 Premium
Wow, this happened to someone else??

I was searching this forum to see if anyone has ever dealt with a seized E70 engine.
Last week I was driving home in my 2011 X5 with 78,000 miles when the transmission stopped working. I pulled over, put the transmission in Park, but then could get back to Drive, Neutral or Reverse. Nothing. I turned off the engine (when in doubt, reboot I learned with computers) but at that point could not start the engine - it simply would not turn over. The car was towed to a local BMW dealership and a day later the service advisor told me the engine seized and would need to be replaced. I was quoted $17,800 for a new engine.
I am now in negotiations with the dealership as they have handled ALL the service on this car. In fact, less than 30 days ago the car was in for new front brakes and oil change. So far they have only offered to pay 50% of the parts or $6,500. This seems very low for a car they have serviced, and now I see from this thread and others this is more common than I would have ever believed.
I am not sure what leverage, if any I have right now.
Any suggestions on possible next steps??
Old 05-12-2019, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 328i xDrive 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Driver01 View Post
I was searching this forum to see if anyone has ever dealt with a seized E70 engine.

Last week I was driving home in my 2011 X5 with 78,000 miles when the transmission stopped working. I pulled over, put the transmission in Park, but then could get back to Drive, Neutral or Reverse. Nothing. I turned off the engine (when in doubt, reboot I learned with computers) but at that point could not start the engine - it simply would not turn over. The car was towed to a local BMW dealership and a day later the service advisor told me the engine seized and would need to be replaced. I was quoted $17,800 for a new engine.

I am now in negotiations with the dealership as they have handled ALL the service on this car. In fact, less than 30 days ago the car was in for new front brakes and oil change. So far they have only offered to pay 50% of the parts or $6,500. This seems very low for a car they have serviced, and now I see from this thread and others this is more common than I would have ever believed.

I am not sure what leverage, if any I have right now.

Any suggestions on possible next steps??

And what engine is in question? What is cause of seizing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2019, 12:38 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

+1 which motor?

Also, DO NOT think that "BMW" is one thing...there is BMWNA and then there is a separate independent dealership with a BMW sign on the wall.

If the dealer screwed up, rest assured they will do whatever they can to cover it up.

You need an INDEPENDENT assessment of what cause the motor to seize.

Which motor??

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 05-12-2019, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback.
I have a 3.0L 6-Cylinder Engine. The dealership couldn't locate the exact issue, however given the overall age of the car, I was told they wouldn't take the engine apart and rebuild, they would only replace the engine.
I will contact a local Indy about a second opinion.
Would it be worth me contacting BMWNA directly??
Old 05-12-2019, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 09 X5d, 06 325i, 06 330i
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.
I have a 3.0L 6-Cylinder Engine. The dealership couldn't locate the exact issue, however given the overall age of the car, I was told they wouldn't take the engine apart and rebuild, they would only replace the engine.
Did they recently change your oil filter housing gasket?
Old 05-12-2019, 04:32 PM

Yes, in fact they replaced the oil filter housing gasket and heat exchanger gaskets less than 30 days before this most recent incident.
Why? Do you see a possible connection??
Old 05-12-2019, 05:06 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Again, this dealer is NOT going to tell you 'our mechanics messed up and BMW refuses to cover it- so the owner of our dealership will pay the $18k charge"

you need to recognize the relationships between the parties. At best, your dealer will be silent and evasive..."we dont open up engines to diagsnose, so no way to know whats wrong"... or they lie,they know they blew it, but convince themselves a $6500 discount 'the right thing".

BMWNA likely knows NOTHING about your car.

What do you thing 'getting BMWNA involved" will do? Now? You have no idea what is wrong; the only people to look at the car is perhaps the guilty party.... you call BMW, they will make sympathetic noises, ask where the car is, then CALL that dealer. Dealer will tell them whatever story that dealer wants. I will emphasize, any approach to BMWNA, they will rely ONLY on what your dealer tells them

You need to get that car to either (a) a dealer where you know the mechanic and service manager, or (b) an indy. Pay a few $$ to find out the cause. Pull an oil sample, have it analyzed maybe... you want DATA, not just chit chat over the phone.

Last edited by ard; 05-12-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
We still don't know which engine. A 3.0L 6-cylinder engine could be the gasser engine in the 35i or the diesel engine in the 35d.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Why DIESEL is better: (from wxmanCCM)
PM - https://sites.google.com/view/lmarzccm/home
Air Toxics - https://sites.google.com/view/loren-marz-ccm/home
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home
Old 05-13-2019, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: 09 X5d, 06 325i, 06 330i
Quote:
Yes, in fact they replaced the oil filter housing gasket and heat exchanger gaskets less than 30 days before this most recent incident.
There are many posts where N55 engines locked shortly after the oil filter housing gasket was changed. Have your dealer focus on that known issue.

https://www.google.com/search?q=n55+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 05-15-2019, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5d
Quote:
So what engine do you have in your X5?

No lights came on when it happened? That's strange

Do you have a warranty on your car? 99.9% any "Manufacture" will not cover anything outside the warranty, sometimes its difficult to get stuff covered within your warranty period just saying...

In your case they offered to pay 50% again strange

So whats the outcome? what happened to the engine its been some time now and you still don't know what a situation is. It takes a day to figure out, ok maybe two.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:46 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

^ Common event. Noob shows up in a panic....help help help.... but they are just lost souls, dont understand the intellectual effort to prevail. They just sell the car, go away.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
^ Common event. Noob shows up in a panic....help help help.... but they are just lost souls, dont understand the intellectual effort to prevail. They just sell the car, go away.
and wasn't that a 2x post too? Or am I thinking of someone else?
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions
Old 05-16-2019, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5d
Nothing here adds up... we don't get anything other then bunch of BS left and right LOL
Old 05-16-2019, 05:06 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
and wasn't that a 2x post too? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Seems there are 2 or 3 'engine blowed up' posts at current

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.
Just to re-emphasize....

Lets say the mechanic at the dealership screwed up.

Do you REALLY think that dealership will tell you? DO you think they will dig to find out what happened? If it tirns out they messed up, that is $18k out of their pocket- NOT BMWNAs. SO dealers, dealer mechanics, SAs, service advisors, all get reeeaaalll fuzzy when it comes down to causes. "oh we dont rebuild" or "Oh BMW wont pay for teardown" or "oh a teardown is $3000. (its an hour or two usually)

Old 05-17-2019, 09:01 AM

Thanks everyone for those of you who offered constructive responses.
I wasn't and still am not in any "panic".
This issue is still very fluid, and I didn't feel it necessary to give daily updates...
To ard - Thanks for your feedback. You offered some real clarity of what to expect from each of the "players" in this situation.
And Thank You smassey321. You provided some valuable data that I think has helped me in my back-and-forth discussions.
So here's my update: Since I'm not sure if BMWNA or the dealer is seeing this, so for now I'll be careful with the details.While the dealer has not admitted any liability, they claim to have gone back to BMWNA several times during our discussions and now I'm told BMWNA will pay 100% of the engine. There is still some $4K in labor expenses that the local dealership will chip in $500 and I would be responsible for some $3500. I have countered with they take responsibility for $3K and I will pay at $1K. The dealer would then need to buy my car and I would agree to use that credit to acquire a new car from the dealership. I have sat down with the sales manager to negotiate the terms of a new car, but until the $3500 is resolved, I won't move forward.
I will see where this goes, and if you all are still interested, I will gladly update...
Old 05-17-2019, 09:52 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Fantastic progress. well done.

(Also know that this thread serves as a guidepost to others facing similar circumstances- so it is great you have closed the loop.)

Old 05-17-2019, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3. E46 325i, E70 35d
That is quite a turn of events! More thrilling than the last season of game of thrones, that's for sure!

Nice work not being a naive beta-male who'll do anything to not make others upset with them!

It always amazes me the depth of subconscious "authority worship" many folks are predisposed to, due to a life long training for this behavioral response, when dealing with "Official People" from a large collective organization they respect, where they'll rollover like a puppy & naively believe that those in authority positions are somehow magically more truthful in the words they speak, are faithfully altruistic, & value integrity as a guiding principle, where the exact opposite is much more often the case (especially when they've messed up & exposure risk is deemed high...)

EVERY transaction where there is tangible value and / or money being exchanged with strangers, & ESPECIALLY strangers who work for, or represent large corporations, should be treated as a cut-throat business exchange (w/ the same politeness & respectful of assertion that is NORMAL & EXPECTED in everyday business dealings), where you are responsible for protecting your own interests and negotiating for the value that you want in exchange for whatever "thing" of value that you are wanting to trade for it, in order to achieve some sort of mutual reciprocation of value that is agreeable for everyone involved. Too many folks are blindly trained to believe that authority somehow gives a damn about their petulant wants & desires, where they expect a tummy rubbing & ear scratching if they simply roll over & wag their tail, just like a well trained dog who wants a treat from their master...

Keep us updated on how things turn out. And again, nice work!

Last edited by SPL15; 05-17-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5 v8 M adapative
Quote:
Thanks everyone for those of you who offered constructive responses.
I wasn't and still am not in any "panic".
This issue is still very fluid, and I didn't feel it necessary to give daily updates...
To ard - Thanks for your feedback. You offered some real clarity of what to expect from each of the "players" in this situation.
And Thank You smassey321. You provided some valuable data that I think has helped me in my back-and-forth discussions.
So here's my update: Since I'm not sure if BMWNA or the dealer is seeing this, so for now I'll be careful with the details.While the dealer has not admitted any liability, they claim to have gone back to BMWNA several times during our discussions and now I'm told BMWNA will pay 100% of the engine. There is still some $4K in labor expenses that the local dealership will chip in $500 and I would be responsible for some $3500. I have countered with they take responsibility for $3K and I will pay at $1K. The dealer would then need to buy my car and I would agree to use that credit to acquire a new car from the dealership. I have sat down with the sales manager to negotiate the terms of a new car, but until the $3500 is resolved, I won't move forward.
I will see where this goes, and if you all are still interested, I will gladly update...
It's starting to sound like a more reasonable offer in the world of BMWNA. Mind you when they say new engine that means they will take off all the accessories off of the bad engine and transplant them onto the new one so its not entirely new. Is that worth 1k is the question but it's a better option than zero help. Let's all hope the mechanic who did work less than 30 days ago really didn't cost you 1k for his mistake.

Where it gets complicated is the trade in and car purchase. While the dealer may eat some costs on the mistake or good will they may equalize with lack of discounts on your replacement. Do your homework to make sure you are being treated fairly on the other end but sales are tricky because everything could be marked up as a starting point and not everyone will get that discount to bring the price back down to normal.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:01 AM

duplicate entry

Last edited by chitown312; 05-21-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: E70 X5
Motor locked X5 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My X5 suddenly locked up while driving. It simply shifted into neutral. Mechanics have stated that the motor is locked. Car is one owner puchased new. Service has been kept as required. Had been serviced just six weeks prior to locking up. One year after purchase the dealer had to replace the transfer case. I have received a quote from dealer that a new motor would cost $27K. BMWUSA has requested service records for past three years which were provided. No warnings or alerts from dashboard. Seems only fitting to me that BMW replace the motor or offer an alternative to rectify this obvious factory malfunction. Car has 103k miles.

I have just experienced very similar situation. I was told my X5 suddenly locked up while dealer mechanic was test driving. It has been happened right after dealer's service of replacing valve cover (Very common issue for N55).
Now the vehicle is sitting on the parking lot in the dealer. My X5 has been serviced because of whistle noise from the motor when it's started. There was no sign or strange noise from motor while driving.
The vehicle is two owner purchased as one owner CPO with 36k miles in 2014. Serviced same dealer for last 5 years and now has 96k miles.
They quoted us $15k as ballpark for replacing to new motor. I'm not sure why I have to be responsible that since it has been happened right after dealer worked on engine.

What options advice would you suggest?
Old 07-08-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkimport View Post
I have just experienced very similar situation. I was told my X5 suddenly locked up while dealer mechanic was test driving. It has been happened right after dealer's service of replacing valve cover (Very common issue for N55).
Now the vehicle is sitting on the parking lot in the dealer. My X5 has been serviced because of whistle noise from the motor when it's started. There was no sign or strange noise from motor while driving.
The vehicle is two owner purchased as one owner CPO with 36k miles in 2014. Serviced same dealer for last 5 years and now has 96k miles.
They quoted us $15k as ballpark for replacing to new motor. I'm not sure why I have to be responsible that since it has been happened right after dealer worked on engine.

Just to be sure by N55 you mean you have an inline 6 and not a v8 twin turbo right? The engine seizing after a valve cover seal does sound highly unusual. I wonder if other forums members could chime in regarding what could go wrong with the cover off. Can a contaminate drop in the engine during the mentioned service and eventually make its way into the combustion part of the engine? Knowing what could go wrong could potentially help you argue the point better.

Either way if you bought the car CPO i'd think BMWNA or the dealer would help you in some way. At a 15k replacement cost it sounds like there isn't any discount which is shameful if you bought it from them as a CPO. At the same time BMW corporate and the profit machine may almost depreciate the car fully since they think people only drive BMWs up to 100k miles.

1.) Learn what you can what may have happened from the forums or an independent BMW only shop, don't necessarily believe the dealer.
2.) KINDLY (don't lose your cool too much) push the issue with the dealer and BMWNA if needed. You paid a surcharge for a CPO.
3.) If all else fails get a quote from a BMW independent shop.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:55 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkimport View Post
I suggest you FIRST find out what caused your engine to fail.

Second, dont trust the dealer. They dont want to pay for the failure either.

But find out what they say first

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
x5 motorlocked

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search