Ford beats BMW to the variable ratio punch? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 11-18-2002, 05:19 AM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: F80 M3, Model 3, 987S
Ford beats BMW to the variable ratio punch?

I just read a review of the 03 T-bird, which indicates that the Bird and the Lincoln LS both come with ZF Servotronic II variable assist/variable ratio steering racks. I remember reading an article in Roundel about variable ratio steering systems, but got the impression that it was still in the future for BMW products (and that it would be an innovation when it came out). Any insight?

Relevant T-bird passage below, from thecarconnection:

"The Thunderbirdís low-speed tuning shocks in the rear were slightly revised to better handle bumps, and its spring rates lowered to LS (read sport sedan) levels. The T-Birdís engineering manager also mentioned its reduced braking effort and more assist at low speed provided by ZFís Servotronic II variable ratio rack-and-pinion system with speed sensitive variable assist that replaced the previous Visteon system.

According to Shanahan, varying both the ratio and the assist provides the precise, linear steering feel that his team sought for both the T-Bird and LS."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2002, 09:24 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
The ZF Servotronic steering has been in employee by BMW in the 745i for almost 2 years now, read the sidebar on that article.

The new steering the article is talking about is a much more advance rack which varies ratio and boost pressure and is closely tied into the DSC and the yaw sensor.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:25 AM
I like cookies.

Mein Auto: 328Ci
Quote:
Originally posted by The HACK
The ZF Servotronic steering has been in employee by BMW in the 745i for almost 2 years now, read the sidebar on that article.

The new steering the article is talking about is a much more advance rack which varies ratio and boost pressure and is closely tied into the DSC and the yaw sensor.
Yes, this is not the "Active Steering" system. (Which has gotten good reviews, btw)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2002, 09:47 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
I believe Servotronic (I) has been available on both E38s and E39s. I believe all currently existing 'variable ratio' systems have a varying but fixed ratio (i.e. non-linear) but the active sterring can dynamically change the ratio.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search