E36 Tattoos-In Memory of Amber - Page 9 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #201  
Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 PM
jonesin's Avatar
jonesin jonesin is offline
The Canadian Prick.
Location: Fort McMurray AB
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12,984
Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
lol, timing is everything.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaz View Post
I grew up in a time when the internet was just a baby. Grammar back then versus now... holy cow. You could watch the degradation of society as the internet became more mature.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #202  
Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 PM
hornhospital's Avatar
hornhospital hornhospital is offline
D'oh, You Kids!
Location: In the Grumpy Chair
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,766
Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Yup, and I was about 5 seconds too slow.
__________________
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
Amateur Extra ham radio operator KO4AXN, see you on 40 meters!

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 PM
E36 Phantom's Avatar
E36 Phantom E36 Phantom is offline
I Am The Machine
Location: Somewhere Between The Valley & The Bay
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,931
Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbarbie View Post
Stand down posse, all is well! It was super weird but I think my sunroof is safe.

You guys are the best btw! Sorry it took so long, moms on my laptop watching TV and I didn't realize how long I'd been gone.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Bimmer App
Clearly you haven't fully relapsed into the proper state of addiction yet.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
__________________
// Chad //
// 2006 BMW 330i Sport 6MT // 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid //
// 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 1994 Range Rover Classic //
// 1997 Land Rover Discovery // 1998 Land Rover Discovery //
// 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 // 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 //
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //
Ok...this is getting ridiculous. Someone come buy a few of these things.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #204  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 AM
bimmerbarbie's Avatar
bimmerbarbie bimmerbarbie is offline
Official Queen of E36 OT
Location: Hammond, La
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,460
Send a message via AIM to bimmerbarbie
Mein Auto: 93ish 325ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Clearly you haven't fully relapsed into the proper state of addiction yet.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
Well that's why I said give me a week; the hook hasn't set completely yet. Plus, it was super weird seeing my ex.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
... We all kinda just ignore Amber (barbie) anyway. She's sort of our attitude and eye candy here, that's why we keep her around...
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:48 AM
jonesin's Avatar
jonesin jonesin is offline
The Canadian Prick.
Location: Fort McMurray AB
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12,984
Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Well should you want his legs broken, you know where to turn hon.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaz View Post
I grew up in a time when the internet was just a baby. Grammar back then versus now... holy cow. You could watch the degradation of society as the internet became more mature.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 AM
bimmerbarbie's Avatar
bimmerbarbie bimmerbarbie is offline
Official Queen of E36 OT
Location: Hammond, La
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,460
Send a message via AIM to bimmerbarbie
Mein Auto: 93ish 325ish
As I said, y'all are the best.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
... We all kinda just ignore Amber (barbie) anyway. She's sort of our attitude and eye candy here, that's why we keep her around...
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 08-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Eight Thirty Eight Thirty is offline
Hellawut??
Location: Rochester, Ny
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 14,546
Mein Auto: who knows?
This thread deserves to live on forever.



RIP Amber.
__________________
-Franklyn
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 08-18-2017, 11:19 PM
hornhospital's Avatar
hornhospital hornhospital is offline
D'oh, You Kids!
Location: In the Grumpy Chair
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,766
Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Agreed. Stickied. It's hard when you lose one of the group, especially someone as talented and original as Amber.

I still can't believe she's gone.
__________________
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
Amateur Extra ham radio operator KO4AXN, see you on 40 meters!

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 08-24-2017, 08:35 PM
SmallStreets SmallStreets is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: e36
I love this artwork, really creative and different from anything I've seen on the road. I have a white hood on my e36 so I just might do something similar with my own touch of creativeness.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 08-28-2017, 01:14 AM
nickcaton nickcaton is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: Toyota
Wow!! Thats awsome
Reply With Quote
  #211  
Old 01-27-2018, 09:20 AM
hornhospital's Avatar
hornhospital hornhospital is offline
D'oh, You Kids!
Location: In the Grumpy Chair
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,766
Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Update:

As of January 26, 2018 I became the owner/caretaker of Ashlyn. I believe part of Amber's depression was from the maintenance that Ashlyn needed and Amber could no longer keep up with. She absolutely loved this car, and for it to overwhelm her with all the little and not-so-little things it needed doing may have contributed to her passing.

Mechanically the car is mostly in good condition.

Either the differential is roaring, or more likely a wheel bearing has gone bad, because it was making a lot of noise on the way home from Louisiana.

The engine is still very strong, the brakes (Rotora BBK) are fantastic, and the suspension (which I believe is a set of TC Cline coilovers...gotta pull a wheel off and see) is firm but not uncomfortable at all. I hope the brake pads are in good shape. I mean, they stop amazingly well, better than anything I've ever driven, but last time Amber had to replace the pads it was eye-wateringly expensive. That's the thing about Rotora BBKs. They work SO WELL, but they are proprietary pads. You pay whatever Rotora decided they want to charge.

The interior needs attention, mainly the A and C pillars, the headliner at the sunroof/map light area, and the interior grab handle on the driver's door is missing a screw so that the handle is loose on one end. Other than that, the door panels are in amazingly good shape.

The condition of the seats is very good, but the driver's seat mechanism is wonky. Mainly the overall recline/angle adjustment sometimes stayed locked, sometimes it doesn't. Get's pretty interesting if it unlocks and rocks the whole seat back about 10° when you're standing on the gas....

The dash needs the heater/AC panel replaced. It's there, but cracked. The large screen head unit she had in it powers up but I can't get it to do anything more than that.

The 17 button OBC doesn't work. No light-up, no pixels visible. I'll investigate that. I do have a spare if it's the unit itself.

The glove box door cover is off, like 80% of all E36s these days. I do have the cover in good condition, just need to reglue it.

The sunroof is broken and locked in a partially popped up position. There is currently a heavy self adhesive plastic sheet covering the sunroof, but that won't last forever. I'm debating removing the mechanism and using windshield adhesive/sealant to permanently glue the panel in place. Amber had nothing but trouble with this sunroof from day one, and we were unsuccessful in repairing it on all previous attempts.

The most disheartening part is the tattoos are peeling off with the failing clear coat. All those hundreds of hours of work are disappearing as the clear coat pops loose and takes the black paint with it. I don't know if I can restore that, but I'm going to try. I do have good photos of the work to copy it, but I'm not the artist Amber was. And I'm not sure I have the patience for it, either.

The carbon fiber diffusers/flippers under the front lip is busted. They're still pretty solid and attached, but they're obviously damaged and ugly. Bad part is, it is completely not available anywhere....not that I could afford them anyway. I believe Amber paid about $350 for them. There's not even a plastic version that matches

I'm so happy to have the car, but I feel very sad why it became available. I am going to repair/restore it and keep it in memory of Amber.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1260010.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	759609   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1260011.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	759617  
__________________
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
Amateur Extra ham radio operator KO4AXN, see you on 40 meters!

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

Last edited by hornhospital; 01-27-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 01-27-2018, 09:56 AM
dc_wright's Avatar
dc_wright dc_wright is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orlando, Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,677
Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Update:

As of January 26, 2018 I became the owner/caretaker of Ashlyn. I believe part of Amber's depression was from the maintenance that Ashlyn needed and Amber could no longer keep up with. She absolutely loved this car, and for it to overwhelm her with all the little and not-so-little things it needed doing may have contributed to her passing.

Mechanically the car is mostly in good condition.

Either the differential is roaring, or more likely a wheel bearing has gone bad, because it was making a lot of noise on the way home from Louisiana.

The engine is still very strong, the brakes (Rotora BBK) are fantastic, and the suspension (which I believe is a set of TC Cline coilovers...gotta pull a wheel off and see) is firm but not uncomfortable at all. I hope the brake pads are in good shape. I mean, they stop amazingly well, better than anything I've ever driven, but last time Amber had to replace the pads it was eye-wateringly expensive. That's the thing about Rotora BBKs. They work SO WELL, but they are proprietary pads. You pay whatever Rotora decided they want to charge.

The interior needs attention, mainly the A and C pillars, the headliner at the sunroof/map light area, and the interior grab handle on the driver's door is missing a screw so that the handle is loose on one end. Other than that, the door panels are in amazingly good shape.

The condition of the seats is very good, but the driver's seat mechanism is wonky. Mainly the overall recline/angle adjustment sometimes stayed locked, sometimes it doesn't. Get's pretty interesting if it unlocks and rocks the whole seat back about 10° when you're standing on the gas....

The dash needs the heater/AC panel replaced. It's there, but cracked. The large screen head unit she had in it powers up but I can't get it to do anything more than that.

The 17 button OBC doesn't work. No light-up, no pixels visible. I'll investigate that. I do have a spare if it's the unit itself.

The glove box door cover is off, like 80% of all E36s these days. I do have the cover in good condition, just need to reglue it.

The sunroof is broken and locked in a partially popped up position. There is currently a heavy self adhesive plastic sheet covering the sunroof, but that won't last forever. I'm debating removing the mechanism and using windshield adhesive/sealant to permanently glue the panel in place. Amber had nothing but trouble with this sunroof from day one, and we were unsuccessful in repairing it on all previous attempts.

The most disheartening part is the tattoos are peeling off with the failing clear coat. All those hundreds of hours of work are disappearing as the clear coat pops loose and takes the black paint with it. I don't know if I can restore that, but I'm going to try. I do have good photos of the work to copy it, but I'm not the artist Amber was. And I'm not sure I have the patience for it, either.

The carbon fiber diffusers/flippers under the front lip is busted. They're still pretty solid and attached, but they're obviously damaged and ugly. Bad part is, it is completely not available anywhere....not that I could afford them anyway. I believe Amber paid about $350 for them. There's not even a plastic version that matches

I'm so happy to have the car, but I feel very sad why it became available. I am going to repair/restore it and keep it in memory of Amber.
Glad it found a good home!

Sounds like a good plan on the sunroof panel. Seems to only way to make them work again is to literally replace every moving part and wear surface and that's not a 100% guarantee.

I believe Amber had indicated she used a Sharpie for doing the tattoo work? Looks like there was a bit of chemical incompatibility between it and the clear coat that was used....
We did a clear lacquer over some artwork someone had painted on their car when we had our body shop. Turns out they had used acrylic enamel for their artwork and the base color under it was acrylic enamel also. We found out you can enamel over lacquer, but you can't lacquer over enamel. The enamel is semi-porous and traps lacquer thinner under the lacquer when it cures and then it reacts with the enamel over time and develops kind of a bubbly acne. Kinda looks like something similar going on there on Ashlyn's hood?

On the splitter, you might be able to fix the damage with fiberglass, get it all smoothed out again, and then get it carbon fiber hydro dipped. If it's done correctly you literally can't tell the hydro dip paint from real carbon fiber, and I'd guess the hydro dip would be around $100 or so.
__________________
2006 Z4 3.0si Sport Package (But I'll still hang with my "homies" in the E36 forum)
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 01-27-2018, 10:33 AM
hornhospital's Avatar
hornhospital hornhospital is offline
D'oh, You Kids!
Location: In the Grumpy Chair
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,766
Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
I've thought about the fibreglass repair/hydro dip. That may be how I go, because I do like the flippers, and that was the last project she and I worked on together on Ashlyn.
The paint design was Sharpie, but it was actual paint, not ink. I think you are right about incompatibility, although the clear coat is/was urethane. And I think that had no "key" to the underlying paint, red or black.
By the way, we used to kid Amber about what shade of red that is....turns out its Brilliant Red (Brilliantrot) from the VIN info. I used to tease her it was Whatthehellrot.
__________________
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
Amateur Extra ham radio operator KO4AXN, see you on 40 meters!

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 01-27-2018, 08:08 PM
hornhospital's Avatar
hornhospital hornhospital is offline
D'oh, You Kids!
Location: In the Grumpy Chair
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,766
Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Hmmmm, may have found the splitters/flippers:

http://www.rdash.com.tw/en/product-detail.php?i=206&t=0

This may be one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" situations, since you have to "inquire" to get a price or even see if one is available.
__________________
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
Amateur Extra ham radio operator KO4AXN, see you on 40 meters!

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 01-27-2018, 09:52 PM
southpark11235's Avatar
southpark11235 southpark11235 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Saugerties NY
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,776
Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
Years ago Amber asked to find replacement splitters and surprisingly the eBay link to ABS replicas I found still works. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Bumpe...384?rmvSB=true

From what I found back then rdash is the manufacturer of the splitters and they were selling them to resellers on Alibaba. The rdash and Alibaba links are both dead but as you found rdash is still selling them on a new page. Digging around now rdash is the only place I have found them in CF. It looks like they want to sell to resellers but filling out the contact forum couldn't hurt.

As for the hood, I would try to find an artist who could restore it. With the reference pictures and outline of the art still there, it should be possible for someone to restore the hood to the way it looked back when the art was first put on. Try asking around or worst case CL for an artist. There are a lot of people who would love to get paid anything for their art. I am sure you could find someone willing to do it on the cheap.
__________________
Alex//1999 323is - power e46 M3 seats, style 43 rims, 328 exhaust, Z3 rack, Bilstein PSS coilovers
//1992 Mazda Miata - cat delete, power windows, oil filter relocation


“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 01-27-2018, 10:06 PM
hornhospital's Avatar
hornhospital hornhospital is offline
D'oh, You Kids!
Location: In the Grumpy Chair
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,766
Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Thank you! I was hoping someone remembered the ABS version and where to get them! I just bought a set! If the repair/hydro dip doesn't work, I'll use those ABS ones on Ashlyn. If it does work and the damaged CF ones are repaired acceptably, I'll put the ABS ones on Elvira. If I actually get a reply from rdash I'll report back on price and availability.
Using a pro might be the best for the hood tats, but first I have to get the rest of the clear coat off. Seems simple, right? Not so much.
__________________
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
Amateur Extra ham radio operator KO4AXN, see you on 40 meters!

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

Last edited by hornhospital; 01-28-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 01-29-2018, 03:39 PM
drivinfaster's Avatar
drivinfaster drivinfaster is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: in the sticks you piney
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,379
Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
if i were close i would totally be all over the hood tats. how many pics do we have of the hood?? iirc, it was a pretty popular pic @ the bfe, no??

could totally get behind this, though. what sort of time frame are you looking, ken??




df
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 01-29-2018, 04:40 PM
dc_wright's Avatar
dc_wright dc_wright is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orlando, Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,677
Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
if i were close i would totally be all over the hood tats. how many pics do we have of the hood?? iirc, it was a pretty popular pic @ the bfe, no??

could totally get behind this, though. what sort of time frame are you looking, ken??




df
DF I was definitely thinking of you when I saw Ken's post! We know you gotz the skilz, just a question of if you gotz the time.....
__________________
2006 Z4 3.0si Sport Package (But I'll still hang with my "homies" in the E36 forum)
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 01-29-2018, 05:55 PM
hornhospital's Avatar
hornhospital hornhospital is offline
D'oh, You Kids!
Location: In the Grumpy Chair
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,766
Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Here are the pictures I have of it from when it was still pristine. I'd love to see some pictures of the car from BFE...I've never seen any from the time when Amber and Ed took Ashlyn to the meet.

I'm in no hurry. I even went as far as ordering 3 Sharpie black paint pens for when I worked up the nerve to try my hand, but I'm not sure that's the best option (Sharpie oil paint again). Not all the black is gone from clear coat loss. Some of it simply faded away.

The other option (and this is not rejecting your offer, df) is get it reproduced in a wrap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HoodprojectAshlyn012.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	761233   Click image for larger version

Name:	HoodprojectAshlyn018.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	761241   Click image for larger version

Name:	HoodprojectAshlyn020-1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	761249   Click image for larger version

Name:	HoodprojectAshlyn021.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	761257   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000554.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	761265  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000557.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	761273  
__________________
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
Amateur Extra ham radio operator KO4AXN, see you on 40 meters!

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

Last edited by hornhospital; 01-29-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 01-29-2018, 06:05 PM
hornhospital's Avatar
hornhospital hornhospital is offline
D'oh, You Kids!
Location: In the Grumpy Chair
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,766
Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
I can't guarantee I'll do updates daily, or even weekly, but I'll try. Today's update: Ash is now insured, tagged and titled in Alabama.

Two things I'm going to tackle tomorrow: figure out if it's the diff or a wheel bearing making all this hellacious noise (hope it's the wheel bearings...I already have a set), and take out the driver's seat and permanently fix the recline lock. It unlocked again today, after I thought I had it fixed.

I swore I'd never do another rear wheel bearing, but I'm going to tackle it if that's what it is. I'm going to be more hands-on with this car than most, just because of its history. I feel obligated.
__________________
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
Amateur Extra ham radio operator KO4AXN, see you on 40 meters!

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

Last edited by hornhospital; 01-29-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #221  
Old 01-29-2018, 07:13 PM
drivinfaster's Avatar
drivinfaster drivinfaster is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: in the sticks you piney
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,379
Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
DF I was definitely thinking of you when I saw Ken's post! We know you gotz the skilz, just a question of if you gotz the time.....
oh dear god what i could accomplish if i didn't have to be adulating every day...

but responsibilities and such,...

ken, a wrap sounds like a good idea, and probably would last a lot longer than another sharpie. but seriously, i would love to be able to do a proper paint job on the hood. i have a vert hood, so i could probably manage to mock up a template for the hood and replicate the design, which could then be made into a transfer and placed on the hood. then all that would need to be done would be spray, let it dry, and remove the transfer.

or something like that,..... (cue brain running at full speed to compute any and all plausible scenarios, including ones involving explosives tied to a squirrel... )

will let it knock around the cranium for a bit and see what i can derive. heck, i might even make arrangements to take an extended vacation to the gulf....

hey,...it could happen, y'know....



df
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 01-30-2018, 12:12 PM
hornhospital's Avatar
hornhospital hornhospital is offline
D'oh, You Kids!
Location: In the Grumpy Chair
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,766
Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
This is how bad the clear coat and the black underneath actually is. The clear is THICK, and peels off in sheets like this. The black is very faded. Notice the area toward the bottom of the second picture. That was full of tiny circles, now almost completely gone. The third photo is the area on the driver's side near the windshield. That used to have a large "Maltese cross" that's almost gone due to fading.





__________________
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
Amateur Extra ham radio operator KO4AXN, see you on 40 meters!

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 01-30-2018, 02:42 PM
hornhospital's Avatar
hornhospital hornhospital is offline
D'oh, You Kids!
Location: In the Grumpy Chair
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,766
Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
I got more done today than anticipated. Fixed the driver's seat adjustments, peeled off a lot of the clear coat (see posting above), and got the sunroof back down and locked in place after stripping off the mess that was on the roof. About a square yard of heavy, self-adhesive plastic sheet. Naturally the glue all stayed on the roof. And I determined the roaring at the rear is indeed a wheel bearing. I thought I had a new set, then remembered the ones I have are for a 325is. The M3 suspension takes a larger bearing, different part number. The glutton for punishment I am, I ordered a pair and will do both. Not fun, but I'll never have to mess with them again.

And I found this while removing the clear coat. It wasn't visible until the coating was gone. Can you see it? If not, scroll down to the next posting.

__________________
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
Amateur Extra ham radio operator KO4AXN, see you on 40 meters!

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

Last edited by hornhospital; 01-30-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 01-30-2018, 02:51 PM
hornhospital's Avatar
hornhospital hornhospital is offline
D'oh, You Kids!
Location: In the Grumpy Chair
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,766
Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Here, I Photoshop tweaked it a little. It's Amber's signature.

__________________
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
Amateur Extra ham radio operator KO4AXN, see you on 40 meters!

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

Last edited by hornhospital; 01-30-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 01-30-2018, 06:32 PM
dc_wright's Avatar
dc_wright dc_wright is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orlando, Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,677
Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
This is how bad the clear coat and the black underneath actually is. The clear is THICK, and peels off in sheets like this. The black is very faded. Notice the area toward the bottom of the second picture. That was full of tiny circles, now almost completely gone. The third photo is the area on the driver's side near the windshield. That used to have a large "Maltese cross" that's almost gone due to fading.
Wow! That urethane clear coat really was incompatible with the other stuff on that hood! It looks like it leached the Sharpie paint off the hood and it never really bonded, it was just surface tension holding it in place.
__________________
2006 Z4 3.0si Sport Package (But I'll still hang with my "homies" in the E36 forum)
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.