Looking to buy an X1 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 sDrive28i
Looking to buy an X1

I found a low mileage X1, and I'm pretty stoked about it. It's been hard to find something small, but not an "economy car," that is sporty. I think this is hitting the sweet spot. I gave it a test-drive, and wasn't able to exercise the full 240HP (low MPH streets and traffic), but the handling was great. I've been looking at many cars, but having trouble finding used 2-series (with low miles, not a convertible, decent price, etc.), so I haven't looked at any BMWs closely until this one. Might not have looked into the X1 at all, except for seeing it mentioned on some forum -- I thought it was an SUV, but it's really more of a "hatchback".

Weird things I noticed: Missing lots of features as far as audio/screen, weird cupholder thingie, and the seat was difficult to adjust (had to exit the car to reset it and start over?!). But, as a driver's car, something whose primary purpose is to give you a nice drive, it hits the mark. BMW is always listed as a luxury brand, but it was fairly Spartan; I'm OK with that, although, I wish it had Apple Carplay -- that is pretty slick. The stereo was not Harmon Kardon, but might be somewhat upgraded -- it says "BMW Professional" on the radio, and sounds pretty good (so I assumed it must have had a factory amp), although there are no tweeters in the a-pillars? I've been trying to research BMW radios, and it seems confusing.

I'm a bit nervous buying used, but it's a big savings over buying new. Not to mention that I think I'd prefer this model over the newer X1. I hope it works out.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2017, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: X1 35i xLine
If its in nice shape and you can buy an extended warranty for it, go ahead an get it. I bough mine in 2015 and I love it. You will not find another SUV that hits the mark for the price. The 28i drives really well and the 240HP engine is great. I have the 35i so you can imagine how happy I am. I firmly believe no SUV of that size should have less than 200HP. I almost bought a Mazda CX-5 but it just didn't have enough power IMHO. I just moved to Orlando, so I may see you around. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2017, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Sounds like an X1 with little options, but as for a practical yet fun little car to drive yes...
it is one of the better ones out there.
SUV?, hatchback?, wagon?, crossover?
Yup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2017, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I have liked having hatchbacks in the past, but I really don't want a tall SUV. I think this is just what I'm looking for.

Another option would be a VW GTI (you actually get a lot of features in the upper trims, and it's a tad faster), but the X1 feels great to drive and maybe even slightly more storage area. And it's a BMW.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:36 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 330i
It's a great ride: we liked our first one so much, we picked up a second to keep it company. I think the one "must have" option is the xenons. The standard halogen lights are pretty poor.

There will be a steady stream of these coming off lease over the next 12 months, so you should have a wide assortment of colors and options to choose from.

2020 540i MSport
2017 330i Sport

Prior BMW's
2018 340i RWD 6MT MSport
2017 540i MSport
2016 428 GC MSport
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Northern BMW Fan

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xdrive28i
+1 on getting the xenon's - they make a huge difference.

We've had ours for over a year and a half now and love every minute of it.

Check out bavsound for upgrading stereo system.

I would recommend to get the iDrive system, but it's not mandatory - I just like to listen music on a USB stick, and scrolling through thousands of songs one line at a time is a pain.

If you're going to be sharing the car with another driver I would recommend getting comfort access - makes it feel like the car is actually yours (automatically sets electric seats, mirrors, radio stations, presets, etc).
Old 01-01-2017, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1
The X1 is a great car.

I went in with the iDrive system being optional, but now I don't think I'd be willing to go without it. Mostly for how well my iPhone integrates with it for music.

I also have and love the xenons, but can't say if they are a must have or not as I've never driven an X1 without them in the dark. Comfort access is nice to have since my wife occasionally likes to drive it and this way everything automatically sets for both of us.

Personally I would recommend going the CPO route on anything used.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:12 PM
Northern BMW Fan

Oh right, forgot to mention CPO... Definitely go CPO if you can
Old 01-02-2017, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X1 xDrive 28i
Welcome! In my opinion, I would only buy one with at least the ultimate package (iDrive, backup camera, and more). The powertrain in the e84 is totally up to date, but admittedly, the electronics are a bit dated. iDrive helps make it modern enough for me, even though its not the latest version. You also get the piano black trim around the infotainment/climate controls, which I think helps dress up the interior a bit.

I don't think you'll find a better driver's small suv/large hatch than this, which I why I bought it.

And as vstolper said, go CPO. You can get some great prices on the e84 right not, but don't skimp on CPO.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:46 AM

I'm not finding low-miles-with-everything cars in my price range, so the one I'm looking at is pretty basic -- manual seats, no iDrive, etc. But it's still a great driver's car! And there are a couple of things I like about it, so I think I'll live with the compromise. I've gone for years without iDrive. ;-)

Yeah, I kind of would prefer better phone integration -- cars with "Apple Carplay" are particularly impressive. But, I can do fine with my phone, if I can find a mount for it, and buy the $75 cable from BMW or whatever I need to do streaming audio. (I've been reading past messages to try to see what I'm getting into...)

Are y'all suggesting CPO just to be sure that it's been pre-inspected? Supposedly, it does go through such a process. I'm not so sure I want the extended warranty -- I haven't read that these cars are that problematic, but there are always risks with a used car.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:59 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Mein Auto: 2017 Volvo XC60 T5
Keep in mind that you can't stream audio with the native BMW set up unless you have the iDrive and streaming option ordered.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
2015 X1 sDrive XLine - "Hamilton Maxwell"
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 01-02-2017, 09:38 AM

There's another thread that said if you have an iPhone, you can use an expensive cable to use the AUX port? In theory, it seems like it should work, but I guess I'll find out....
Old 01-02-2017, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1
If you are happy with the fact that you are getting a great car to drive and aren't worried about extra bells & whistles, more power to you!

I think you will be very happy with it.

If after a little while you find you'd like a little extra punch, I've been very happy with the addition of the Dinan Sport tune on mine (for under $300).
Old 01-02-2017, 10:58 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Mein Auto: 2017 Volvo XC60 T5
Looking to buy an X1

You can get the BMW y-cable to connect to the USB/aux in yes. But that's not streaming in the sense of Bluetooth wireless. Just clarifying it.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
2015 X1 sDrive XLine - "Hamilton Maxwell"
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 01-02-2017, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 330ci, MZ3, X1, 330i
Be patient and search for the right X1 with the right packages. It's really elevates the ownership experience. I find baseline X1 insulting. It's like BMW deliberately punishes its customers who can't pony up for their insane list of packages. This applies to all its model lines. In contrast Audi, Mazda, MB and Hyundai atleast give you something nice. Not so with BMW.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:45 AM

I'm finding that a lot of the brands are doing the same thing (particularly at the higher-end). MB advertises that the CLA and GLA "start at" some reasonable price like $32,000 or so, but you'll be missing features; it'll be closer to $40k by the time you add on typical packages. Ford and Chevrolet do the same thing. The Ford Focus goes from something like (not exactly sure) $16k to $25 or more depending upon the packages. Of course, in a Focus, just for example, it makes sense that someone might want just a basic car. Looking at some of these non-luxury brands, I find it easy to find base models, and hard to even find upper trims on the lots. They couldn't fine me any upper-trim GTIs, for example. Weird.

I think Honda and some other brands are a bit better about having limited number of packages/trims. Audi give you a lot of features in the base model -- leather, xenons, etc. Acura does too. (A used A3, in the old "sportback" style, might be a good comparable to the X1. Similar price but with more stuff... but not as fast/sporty.)

But, yeah, BMW may be the worst with the packages. I tried looking up a new 2-series with no extras... and didn't see any at local dealers. This should be around the $32k mark, and still be a nice driver's car. No frills, just get in and drive. Probably would have to special-order? You can find $40K+ 2-series, no problem. :-/

So, I've already been debating "base vs. higher trim" while looking at different cars. I can more easily justify it on one of the cheaper cars, but it's harder to swallow on these already-expensive ones.

Anyway, I started out car shopping looking for all of the extras, but the cost is pretty significant, and buying used you're limited to what is available. I dunno, I could go either way. I love the technology extras, but I'm not one that cares about power seats -- just power windows. I draw the line at roll-up windows. ;-) Having said that, the manual seat adjustment on that X1 is pretty bad.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:55 AM

Best thing about a stripper x1 is the light weight and purity of the drive train. I'd think a base sDrive with the n20 would be a lot of fun to drive. The head unit is actually really good for an older unit. As long as you can live without bluetooth streaming and can handle the y cable it will do the job. It's not a luxury car, though- just a well built, drivers hatch/wagon that they jacked up 1 inch to try to fool upwardly mobile americans that always wanted a BMW into buying one. IF you know what you are getting you will love it.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:14 PM

If that's the case you might well get a WRX wagon if they still make those. For the price you get more value.

The contrast for a base bimmer and a reasonably optioned out one is drastic. I recently had a 2016 3-series loaner. Pretty basic except iDrive. Leatherette, halogen and base speakers. Add to it the numb overboosted Corolla-inspired steering wheel.... Yuck. Was so happy to return it. I guess with the e84, you still get the sensational driver-oriented steering wheel. sDrive excluded.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:07 AM

If they still made a wagon/hatch WRX, I would definitely be interested, but they haven't done that in a while. Honda has a new hatchback, but it's all boy-racer with not much umph, and the top trim level isn't out yet.

As for "Bluetooth streaming", I never use it (on our cars). Maybe newer protocols are OK, but older ones were bad. I always plug my phone into our cars to stream from the phone... plus it charges! Although, it usually works with just the USB port -- having to also use an adapter and AUX port is a bit of a hack. I don't mind using my phone or standalone GPS for GPS. So, hopefully it won't be so tragic, even though a GPS stuck somewhere may look tacky. It does kind of counter the "luxury" image.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:15 AM

I was looking through some X1 reviews... One even complained that the car had one problem -- it was too close to the X3 without being an X3. Needed more comfort and room, I think they were suggesting! I think BMW "fixed" that with the new X1. ;-) I would disagree -- the X1 is about the right size I'm looking for. Any taller, and it's not going to handle as well, any bigger and it'll just be slower, etc.

Most reviews seem positive, although many don't like the styling much. It does have some odd styling, but I'd call it more "quirky" than anything too negative.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:07 AM
Northern BMW Fan

I think most people that own the X1 love it. To each their own of course.

Regarding the CPO question... Think of it like a stamp of approval by the mechanic - every car that comes in to the dealership is inspected and then the dealer has a question: "can I get more money for it if I certify it, or will it cost more to maintain later?"

Basically - the mechanic gives the report and the managers then decide if it's worth it. If it's not certified it almost sounds like they think the may be a big problem with it in the near future.

Keep in mind I don't work in this area but from what I've read and what would seem logical, I wouldn't buy a relatively new car without CPO.

Plus these cars aren't exactly problematic, but one issue they've had is transfer case failures - not particularly frequent, but sufficiently so.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderkind View Post
If that's the case you might well get a WRX wagon if they still make those. For the price you get more value.

The contrast for a base bimmer and a reasonably optioned out one is drastic. I recently had a 2016 3-series loaner. Pretty basic except iDrive. Leatherette, halogen and base speakers. Add to it the numb overboosted Corolla-inspired steering wheel.... Yuck. Was so happy to return it. I guess with the e84, you still get the sensational driver-oriented steering wheel. sDrive excluded.
Did the sDrive have a different steering wheel than xDrive? I've never seen one in person to know.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:54 AM

Are we talking about the wheel only, or the steering feel as well? I dunno about the normal sDrive vs xDrive, but the MSport model has a unique wheel. I would think it might be more of a concern to some that sDrive has electric steering vs. hydrolic in the xDrive? Msport might have other differences in steering, as well as Sport mode. It's all very confusing! Not sure about the X1, but I did read that the Minis have a heavier steering in Sport mode; I did test drive a Mini Cooper, and the difference in Sport mode was subtle, but definitely was there. In my old Golf TDI, Sport mode only influenced the transmission shift points -- the steering remained the same.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Kommissar View Post
Did the sDrive have a different steering wheel than xDrive? I've never seen one in person to know.
It's not the steering wheel design.
The sDrive version is only EPS.
xDrive x28i and 35i is hydraulic. Servotronic is an option for 28i and might be std for 35i.

Reason for EPS is to save more gas for BMW. The xDrive models didn't provide enough space for the EPS system. Maybe to do with the front diff? Hence no EPS for xDrive. Yay!

It's a preference thing. Too loosey goosey for my taste. EPS is not inherently vague or numb feeling. BMW are poorly implemented it. They should ask Mazda how to do a proper EPS.

CPO is a good idea but understand that the 6-year warranty is based on the initial "In Service date" of the car. So if your MY2013 X1 was pressed into service say in 2012... then the CPO warranty is until 2018. Also CPO may not apply to newish models with remaining factory warranties. BMW dealers tack on CPO on low mileage cars.

For the most part X1 is a reliable car with one area of concern - Timing Chain for the N20 engine. Failure of that piece = Engine KABOOM! I think BMW has redesigned the plastic housing and chain in 2015. My advice is when you find the right X1, open up the oil cap and peer inside to check the chain and housing. If there are score marks and old brownish housing, request for dealership to replace them prior to buying the car.

Last edited by wunderkind; 01-03-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:01 PM

LOL. I know all that. You said "steering wheel", when it sounds like you meant "steering FEEL".

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderkind View Post
It's not the steering wheel design.
The sDrive version is only EPS.
xDrive x28i and 35i is hydraulic. Servotronic is an option for 28i and might be std for 35i.

Reason for EPS is to save more gas for BMW. The xDrive models didn't provide enough space for the EPS system. Maybe to do with the front diff? Hence no EPS for xDrive. Yay!

It's a preference thing. Too loosey goosey for my taste. EPS is not inherently vague or numb feeling. BMW are poorly implemented it. They should ask Mazda how to do a proper EPS.

CPO is a good idea but understand that the 6-year warranty is based on the initial "In Service date" of the car. So if your MY2013 X1 was pressed into service say in 2012... then the CPO warranty is until 2018. Also CPO may not apply to newish models with remaining factory warranties. BMW dealers tack on CPO on low mileage cars.

For the most part X1 is a reliable car with one area of concern - Timing Chain for the N20 engine. Failure of that piece = Engine KABOOM! I think BMW has redesigned the plastic housing and chain in 2015. My advice is when you find the right X1, open up the oil cap and peer inside to check the chain and housing. If there are score marks and old brownish housing, request for dealership to replace them prior to buying the car.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search