Looking to buy an X1 - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 X1 xDrive 28i
Sport mode does not change the steering in the X1- just the shift points for the automatic. Honestly, I never use it. 8 speeds is almost too many anyway. Sport mode does feel like you're going faster- it only holds the gears for too long. Sport mode was essential in my auto e90, but it only had 6 speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
Are we talking about the wheel only, or the steering feel as well? I dunno about the normal sDrive vs xDrive, but the MSport model has a unique wheel. I would think it might be more of a concern to some that sDrive has electric steering vs. hydrolic in the xDrive? Msport might have other differences in steering, as well as Sport mode. It's all very confusing! Not sure about the X1, but I did read that the Minis have a heavier steering in Sport mode; I did test drive a Mini Cooper, and the difference in Sport mode was subtle, but definitely was there. In my old Golf TDI, Sport mode only influenced the transmission shift points -- the steering remained the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
X1 s28i EPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Kommissar View Post
Did the sDrive have a different steering wheel than xDrive? I've never seen one in person to know.
I ordered a s28i with only Msport, and miss nothing.

The power steering is so light that I was nearly clipping cars turning right to park.

Also, car had some kind of sway at high speeds that made it nearly undrivable above 120mph.

I fixed both problems with 12mm BMS front spacers only.

That made steering feel properly firm, no sway up to top out (145 adjusted real speed), and no funny tire wear.

I don't drive at night much, so don't care that it's only Halogen lamps.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: X1 sDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
I ordered a s28i with only Msport, and miss nothing.
Ah, this is what I wanted to hear. ;-)

Quote:
The power steering is so light that I was nearly clipping cars turning right to park.

Also, car had some kind of sway at high speeds that made it nearly undrivable above 120mph.

I fixed both problems with 12mm BMS front spacers only.

That made steering feel properly firm, no sway up to top out (145 adjusted real speed), and no funny tire wear.
Huh. I would have thought spacers would have been only visual.

Quote:
I don't drive at night much, so don't care that it's only Halogen lamps.
I miss the xenons I had in my Acura. (Standard!) They would light up the night. Most halogens just don't work as well. I've been using Philips Power Xtreme (or equivalent) in a couple of cars, and it's an improvement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2017, 08:35 AM

Spacers are considered a tool to tweak suspension at the track especially in Porsche forums.

The actual track of the X1 can vary depending on the offset of wheels you pick, but the front is already 1.1 inch shorter than rear.

When discussing how car feels many people have different setup so end up talking in circles.

For instance my 355M wheel package with 8x18 and 9x18 wheels has 30 offset for front and 41 for rears.

Another wheel in 8x19 and 9x19 has 37 and 39 offset so 1 inch wider rears act like nearly 4 wheels alike.

Most people put 12mm on front and then 15mm on rears FOR LOOKS, but it still only makes the rear track even wider.

The final result for my setup is that the rear track is 3mm wider on both sides for good stability.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 330ci, MZ3, X1, 330i
Quote:
I miss the xenons I had in my Acura. (Standard!) They would light up the night. Most halogens just don't work as well. I've been using Philips Power Xtreme (or equivalent) in a couple of cars, and it's an improvement.
Once you go HIDs, it is hard return to halogens. Once you go adaptive LEDs, it's hard to go to HIDs.

You are probably aware that slapping aftermarket HIDs in a halogen housing is not only illegal but is bad for nearby drivers. The reflective housing will just disperse the bright light everywhere.

The X1 with Lighting package has Adaptive HIDs. It's pretty good and crazy bright though not as awesome as the latest intelligent LEDs in top spec BMWs. Besides, the corona rings are a BMW signature.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:53 PM
Northern BMW Fan

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xdrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderkind View Post
Once you go HIDs, it is hard return to halogens. Once you go adaptive LEDs, it's hard to go to HIDs.

You are probably aware that slapping aftermarket HIDs in a halogen housing is not only illegal but is bad for nearby drivers. The reflective housing will just disperse the bright light everywhere.

The X1 with Lighting package has Adaptive HIDs. It's pretty good and crazy bright though not as awesome as the latest intelligent LEDs in top spec BMWs. Besides, the corona rings are a BMW signature.
+1 on the HID bulbs in a reflective housing... Makes me want to smash the lights of drivers that do that. Unfortunately local police don't do anything about it.

The adaptive HIDs are really nice - threw me first time I saw the beam of light turn.

And I'm thinking I'll skip LEDs - waiting for the laser lights to be more mainstream :-D
Old 01-05-2017, 08:39 AM

Yeah, for my last car I was driving, that's why I got those Philips bulbs -- still regular halogen bulbs, just about the brightest you can get and still be "legal". They were an improvement over stock, to be sure. I will probably do the same with the X1, and at least make the best of it.

I realize I'll be missing on a lot of the luxury features, but this one has a lot of features where it counts. Hopefully, I'll like it as much as 0w40x1. I'll curse the manual seat adjustments, but once set, I shouldn't need to change it.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 330ci, MZ3, X1, 330i
If you are the sole driver then yeah manual seat adjustment is A-OK. Less things to break! My wife and I both drive the X1 and memory seat function with CA is important to our sanity. For some reason finding the perfect seat configuration for me is difficult on the X1. Not sure why, never had such problems with previous cars.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:07 PM

I've heard people curse the stock X1 seats, but the MSport seats I have are about as perfect as possible.

Yes, they are manual, but can be adjusted many different ways, and it has electric bolster for back.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:12 PM

OK, I managed to pick up my 2013 X1 MSport. It has MSport, and not much else extra. ;-)

When I first tried setting the seating position, it took me a while. It is kind of odd, but I think I have it. But I can see if it were changed, it might take a while to get it back to where it was... if I could ever get there again! ;-)

Old 01-06-2017, 07:36 PM

Beautiful BMW color, my favorite wheel combo, and M Sport.

Now if you have the Pirelli P7 summer tires you'll be amazed at traction especially in that Florida rain.

Yeah, the seats are something else; bottom seat goes up and down, and front of seat tips up and down, then it goes front to back, and reclines.

It takes awhile to learn the recline lever instead of lowering seat.

Last edited by 0w40X1; 01-06-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
OK, I managed to pick up my 2013 X1 MSport. It has MSport, and not much else extra. ;-)

When I first tried setting the seating position, it took me a while. It is kind of odd, but I think I have it. But I can see if it were changed, it might take a while to get it back to where it was... if I could ever get there again! ;-)

Beautiful! This is the best exterior combo for the x1, I believe. I think the x1 looks better when its not trying to look like an SUV.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:13 PM

Yeah, it looks a lot more like a "hot hatch". A bit of lowering, and it'd be perfect. But the color and sport body kit really do give it a sportier look. If you had asked me before, which would I rather have -- a "convenience package" (or whatever luxury items) or the MSport package, I would choose the MSport, so I feel fortunate to find this one. None of the other used ones I found locally had it, as I recall (or if they did, not in my price/mileage range). This just seems like a unicorn.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:15 PM

OH yeah, I can run summer tires all year long! :-D Er, I might shop high performance all-seasons -- I kind of liked the Bridgestones I had on my previous car. Anyway, I'll have to do some reading up on runflats. :-/
Old 01-07-2017, 07:27 PM

You've got the right car, and if you put something like Michelin PSS tires on next time you'll have nearly the best in rain and dry.

No reason for you to put No season tires on.

Several summer performance tires including Continental DW are better in rain than All Seasons.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:

very pretty
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
Old 01-08-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderkind View Post
It's not the steering wheel design.
The sDrive version is only EPS.
xDrive x28i and 35i is hydraulic. Servotronic is an option for 28i and might be std for 35i.
Steering seems OK to me, but I might not know the difference. It doesn't feel "light", but that may just be in comparison to other cars.

Quote:
For the most part X1 is a reliable car with one area of concern - Timing Chain for the N20 engine. Failure of that piece = Engine KABOOM! I think BMW has redesigned the plastic housing and chain in 2015. My advice is when you find the right X1, open up the oil cap and peer inside to check the chain and housing. If there are score marks and old brownish housing, request for dealership to replace them prior to buying the car.
This has me a bit concerned. It does have the brownish plastic "guide" or "rails", but I see no scoring -- timing chain looks nice. Oil looks pretty fresh too -- they probably just changed it.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
Beautiful BMW color, my favorite wheel combo, and M Sport.
Thanks, guys. Yeah, the blue is my preferred color, M Sport, hatchback. I feel fortunate to find what I was looking for! Kind of serendipitous.

Quote:
Now if you have the Pirelli P7 summer tires you'll be amazed at traction especially in that Florida rain.
Looks like it has P7 runflats? Also, all 4 tires are the same size. I thought they were supposed to be different front-to-back? Or is that just for different wheels?
Old 01-08-2017, 01:20 PM

Are your current tires all-season? You could opt to replace the staggered wheels with summer tires with a set of all seasons on same size wheels. It sounds like that's what the original owner did.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Kommissar View Post
Are your current tires all-season? You could opt to replace the staggered wheels with summer tires with a set of all seasons on same size wheels. It sounds like that's what the original owner did.
Yup, they're all-season Cintuato P7 225/45 R18. Hmm. Well, at least they can be rotated.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:57 AM

Put your VIN into a vin lookup website and see what equipment was included. I bet you'll see those 225/45 R18 All seasons listed. It was a no cost switch from the summers to those.

http://bimmer.work/
Old 01-09-2017, 03:52 PM

2MY M Alloy Wheels Doublespoke 355 M

By itself that didn't tell me whether or not it was all season, etc. But, I did a search, and found this:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/pdf/bmw-pr...ring-Guide.pdf

That confirms that 2MY are the all-seasons. (It doesn't mention whether or not any of the sets of tires are staggered, but it was said before that the all-seasons are not staggered.)
Old 01-09-2017, 11:27 PM

I believe choices at the time on a M Sport 2014 X1 were:

8x18 355m wheels front 9x18 355m wheels rear with summer or All-season P7 runflats, or

8x19 255m wheels front 9x19 255m wheels rear with summer or All-season P7 runflats, or

8x18 355m wheels all around summer or All-season.

At that time there was no extra for 19 wheel.

Sidewalls will tell what kind of tire it is.

I could be wrong on the staggered allseason.

Last edited by 0w40X1; 01-09-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:23 PM

Handling is pretty darned good even with these all-seasons. I must not be pushing it enough. ;-) Seriously, though, it feels a bit top-heavy compared to some other cars, or maybe it's just me. Will take me a while to get a comfort level with it.

Hey, I was having a weird problem... it wasn't doing the "Auto Stop/Start". I read through the long list of things that can cause the computer to disable it -- turned off the A/C, don't turn the wheel, etc., but was worried maybe it was a weak battery. I re-read the list and saw that not having "premium gas" was another thing. I topped off the tank with premium, and what do you know -- AS/S starts working. (Not immediately -- it took two short "trips" for it to figure it out.) Guess the dealer stuck regular in there. Another thing -- I was getting, like, 19mpg. Seems a bit low, even considering that I had some highway mixed in, although I have been testing the acceleration a bit. :-D Now that I added that bit of premium, it's closer to 21.

I see on the filler door it says that 89 "premium" is minimum recommended -- that's mid-grade here. Premium is something like 93. This thread discusses the options: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=913077

Still figuring it all out...
Old 01-10-2017, 09:45 PM
Northern BMW Fan

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xdrive28i
You'll figure it out. With 87 (mistakenly grabbed the wrong hose) I noticed weaker acceleration but I believe AS/S was still working. I did read backfire errors to never heard one so I assume the ECU noticed it early and backed off.

And the car is taller than a sedan, even M-Sport is still taller an E90, so of course it's a bit top heavy. Plus if you have the sun roof - that's a giant piece of heavy glass

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search