BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

False Oil Pressure Warning

789 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  marcozandrini 
#1 ·
I own a 2016 X3 which I bought used - I waited too long to change the oil so when I did my mechanic said it was thick and the filter needed to be pried out - after that change the oil pressure warning light came on - only when at high speeds on turnpike and only on the way back from a trip to Philly from Pgh. - a check found no oil pressure issue but I had the oil changed again and had the sensor changed - after the sensor change the warning light comes on within a mile of high speed driving - it's worse than before - it never comes on during regular driving - only on Turnpike - any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I have a feeling that the oil pressure may be low due to partially blocked oil passages. Try LiquiMoly engine flush (https://products.liqui-moly.com/engine-flush-plus-2.html ) or similar and then change the oil and filter again. This should remove some of the crap gumming up the works. Some folks substitute a quart of automatic transmission fluid (ATF) for a quart of oil. ATF is highly detergent so it'll clean while you're driving. Make sure the oil you put in the engine carries the "BMW LL01" rating.

Do not buy oil filters from a parts store. There are numerous threads here and on other forums describing how an aftermarket filter literally fell apart inside the filter housing. The only brands of oil filter I use are Mann and Mahle. Both are German and both supply filters to BMW. Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of the car's vehicle identification number. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to engine and find the BMW part number for the filter. Try FCPEuro, ECS Tuning and even Amazon for the filter.

Btw. I've owned and wrenched on bimmers since 1974.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.