BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M340i hit dealers. Quick drive

15K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  patelagni21 
#1 ·
So the M340i hit my dealer yesterday. They had about 7 of them in stock. I drove a fairly stock car with passive dampers on the 18 inch wheels that look fairly plain.

I own a 2014 335i M sport with passive dampers on 19 inch wheels for comparison

My first impression is that the car feels instantly firmer than my 2014. Both the steering and the suspension felt firmer. The steering is definitely an upgrade from my 2014 but it's still not close to the eager turn in of an Alfa or Cadillac. I didn't take too many aggressive turns but it generally felt pretty much like the 330i that is already available.

The handling was good. It felt nicely planted. Better than my 2014 which felt a little bit floaty by comparison. But the compromise is that the car did not ride as well as my 2014. They've gone for a firmer suspension tune in the M340i than in my car.

The engine felt very powerful. But then again so does mine. I thought I would notice a larger difference in power but I didn't. I think if I had spent more time at floor I would have noticed more difference but I didn't want to just hammer on a car with 9 miles. I'm sure the M340i is faster than mine but it is not dramatically so.

The engine was also louder than my 2014 which is on the quiet side and one of the things that I don't like about my current car. But it was still much quieter than the optional exhausts in the AMG C43. I didn't get too far into the settings beyond selecting sport plus and letting it rip, but overall I was disappointed in the engine note and feel that it needs more emotion when you really get on it.

Overall I was expecting a bit more from the M340i. It's an improvement over my 2014, but it is still the quiet and capable performance sedan that we are all familiar with just a bit better.

See less See more
#2 ·
Disagree

Having driven the new M340i for two week, I disagree with your post. It is true that the high performance run flat tires are horrible. However, if you order the non run flats the car rides completely different. I don't have the adaptive sport suspension, but it will ride smoother than the standard suspension with all tires. The funny thing is the all-season run flats ride smoother and perform better than the high performance run flats. All that being said, I got the package that comes with Michelin Pilot 4S non run flats with the mobility kit and standard suspension and it rides and handles great. As far as performance, the car is much faster by a lot over your 330 and the exhaust sound keeps getting better the more you drive it. The all wheel drive is slightly quicker but I think the ride quality suffers

#4 · (Edited)
I instantly dismissed OP's post when he compared called his 2014 "powerful". I had a 2015 335i (N55) and currently have a 2016 340i (B58). The power difference when I switched was substantial. I drive in S/Sport Mode 24/7 and go full throttle multiple times per day. It's night and day comparison in terms of "feel".

M340i xDrive will be amazing due to even more power on the B58 engine plus xDrive to put it down. I can't wait to order mine.

#5 ·
This past Saturday I test drove the m340 at a dealer that has some of the nicest roads in New Jersey. The dealer was in western central jersey and the people there are very nice.
This car is very hard to drive slow, you can differently feel the horsepower advantage compared to the 6 cylinder f30 models.
The car perform well around the curvy roads and it handled some of the potholes well.
I wondered what the insurance premium will be if you get the m340i over the 330i.
Overall it a fun to drive car.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

#7 ·
This past Saturday I test drove the m340 at a dealer that has some of the nicest roads in New Jersey. The dealer was in western central jersey and the people there are very nice.
This car is very hard to drive slow, you can differently feel the horsepower advantage compared to the 6 cylinder f30 models.
The car perform well around the curvy roads and it handled some of the potholes well.
I wondered what the insurance premium will be if you get the m340i over the 330i.
Overall it a fun to drive car.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
So here is something to think about.....

I just did a comparison of my 2017 330i to a 2019 340i my rate decreases $120 for 6 months. I'm surprised at this.
Now when I go a 2020 M340i and place a VIN in progressive can not find that vin... Now, if the new M340i gets me that kind of saving, would make for a smart move next May when my lease is up.

#8 ·
casper

#15 ·
I drove the M340iX yesterday at Knauz in Lake Bluff Illinois. The car felt wonderfully athletic with much-improved steering. Of course, the engine was Uber spectacular. It felt very torquey and quick. The size is a great improvement. It is now the same size as my for former 2001 530i. The M340 definitely had a wonderful taunt, sport feel with excellent steering. My wife wants me to downsize from my current 540iX Msport so this is a great option when my lease is up in 2020.

#23 · (Edited)
5 month impression of my M340xi (Long Post)

In late June I traded in my 2016 M640Xi M Sport for the 2020 M340Xi. I cant tell you how good a decision that was for me, and I'm no kid, being in my mid 50's. I only had the 640 M Sport for a couple of years but very soon after buying it I realized despite the M Sport package and factory Dinan exhaust that droned worse than my estranged wife, it wasn't the car for me. The 640 was geared much more towards luxury, looks and prestige than enjoyment and driveability as an alleged Ultimate Driving Machine.

The M340 came fairly loaded with options (~$70K Sticker) including, Premium, Driving Assistance, Cold Weather, Adaptive Suspension, Gesture control, Upgraded HK Radio, (wonderful sound BTW) Upgraded 19" wheels with Non RFT Michelin Pilot 4S's, Larger more powerful multi-piston M spec cooled brakes, Oil filter cooler, 360 degree cameras, and more that I'm forgetting right now I'm sure.

The M340 seems to have multiple distinct personalities. In Comfort or Eco modes it's more quiet and smooth than the 640. I rarely drive it in Eco Mode, although the dash color and configuration in Eco is very good. In Sport and especially Sport Plus, it's like a beast that's cleared it's throat and been uncaged. In the highly configurable Individual Modes, you can have the best of both worlds. The new iDrive 7.0 technology is light years ahead of my 640, with the updated Carplay and exceptionally good voice recognition. I love the intelligence and configurability of the car. As one simple example, when you exit the car and lock it the pathway lighting projects a cool wave shaped light pattern around the car and the mirrors automatically fold in for protection. Same lighting appears doors unlock and mirrors extend when the car senses your approach.

As for performance, the 0-60MPH time I've clocked at 3.7...not using launch control. In a recent short review of a RWD only M340 in Car and Driver they had it at 3.8, and neck and neck with the current gen M3 Competition.The M340 AWD version is actually substantially quicker than the M3 in both 0-60 and 50-100mph acceleration times, and it doesn't adjust your spine over every bump and pothole. Other quick comments, the exhaust note inside the car with the windows up is very different than what's heard externally. In Sport and Sport Plus valves open up in the exhaust as it is noticeably louder with very satisfying burbles heard on deceleration. The handling and braking is the best I've ever experienced in any BMW I've owned or driven prior. If you can afford it, definitely get the upgraded tires and adaptive suspension options. They make a big difference. Another nice surprise is that the fuel economy has been much better than I'd expected. Mixed city/highway fuel economy has been consistently 27-28 MPG and pure highway driving I frequently get 34-36MPG if I can keep it under 85. Crusing at 75 the engine runs at 1700 RPM thanks to the excellent 8 speed RF transmission. This car really likes to drive in the 85-90 MPH range so keep the Waze cop minder feature on in CarPlay. The exterior Laser lights are very very good, but maybe too good as I frequently get flashed by other drivers thinking my high beams are on. I'm very happy with the exterior and interior looks of the car despite the fact my dealer forget to make sure my rear lip spoiler was installed prior to delivery. I'm still waiting for the replacement to arrive from Germany.

As for other minor dissatisfactions, they are few and relatively minor. My biggest gripe is that the turn signal stalk is not very ergonomic and not driver cancellable with a light touch, like my 2016 640 and prior 2008 535 M Sport RWD (Which was a fantastic car BTW). This is unacceptable foolishness in a $70K car. I'm still not a fan of having the cruise control on the steering wheel. I like it much better on the 08 535 with the separate stalk and radio and volume controls on the left side of the wheel. The seats are very comfortable but not as comfortable or as adjustable as they were in my 12 year old 535. Much better though than the fancy ventilated sport seats in the $95K 2016 640, so go figure. The interior materials (matte maple wood trim with highly configurable color ambient lighting), are overall very good, but some cheap looking plastic parts are still to be found here and there. The software was a little glitchy at first when the car was turned off or when driving in the "auto off" engine mode, but a recent SW recall and reload appears to have fixed it. There are a lot of features I've barely used like the parking space locator and self parking feature, which is very cool, but I still can't get used to my car backing into a tight spot without me doing it for myself.

Overall, having owned a number of great BMWs starting with a 7 series, a couple of 5's and a 6 prior to this car, I'm surprised to hear myself say that this new, larger and much more powerful 3 series is my favorite overall by a good margin. If you enjoy driving, this is the BMW for you.

#28 ·
fun

I got one of the last 2020 M340i before Spartenburg closed plant. Sold 550i after 7 years but I am not sorry. Performance is great as are newer options. Alpine white /mocha exterior. Upgraded stereo, ac seats, acoustic glass, 21" tires,. A real head turner, numerous compliments.

#29 ·
Interesting....didn't know AC seats was an option

I got one of the last 2020 M340i before Spartenburg closed plant. Sold 550i after 7 years but I am not sorry. Performance is great as are newer options. Alpine white /mocha exterior. Upgraded stereo, ac seats, acoustic glass, 21" tires,. A real head turner, numerous compliments.

#30 ·
AC seats only on certain interior colors.. I wanted the saddle color but no AC option there. Really weird. Called BMW/NA and no plans to expand to other leather choices. AC available with black or mocha only I believe. Originally wanted white on white int/ext but then no ac seats. Turns out mocha is awesome with alpine white exterior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.