Needing New Tires Soon - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

Old 10-09-2019, 12:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535xi
Question Needing New Tires Soon

Will need to purchase 4 225x50x17 for my 2008 535xi sedan in near future. Would want to keep total cost below $1K. Car is not aggressively driven and some higher speed interstate driving. Currently running Continental Contact DWS. Recommendations please...Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 08:17 AM
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!

Mein Auto: 1999 740iS, 2008 335xi
You left out (at least) one important factor, how many miles a year do you drive it?
Square setup with xdrive, Alabama, non-aggressive daily...I'd buy an all-season with a higher mileage rating and rotate every few 1000 miles. Sites like tirerack and discounttire list all the specs and let you choose multiple to compare side-by-side and then also have customer reviews.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

2005 Venture Extended LT - what else you gonna drive when you have 6 kids, cargo and still want better than 10MPG
1999 740iA - long term project/summer DD
2000 Impala LS - RIP 12/23/2016, officially totaled by insurance company
2001 330xiA - fXtXeX/son project - now April's car
2008 335xiA - winterbeater Impala replacement
2002 530i/5 - 2.5 years searching...and it is John's car
1989 535i/5 - the spare car
2002 325xiA - to be Charlotte's when she gets her license (?2019?)
Old 10-10-2019, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5
My last two sets of tires were bought through eBay from Discount Tire Direct. They have a pretty good sale from time to time offering 80-100 off. I bought a set of Cooper tires for my truck last year for $300 after the $100 off. I just bought a set of 225/50-16 Kumho tires for my Z4 at $312 for the set of 4. I had them installed and balanced at the local Discount Tire retail store for $91. Probably not worth the effort to do it that way unless you get in on one of the sales but did save the sales tax on the tires. The retail store guy told me he would match the online offers so I will probably price online then just have the store order what I want next time.

We have had good luck with the Kumho all season tires on our Kia Sorento. Been getting 60K per set.

The Continental Tires are great if you need/want the extra traction. I got a set of 285/40-17 Extreme Contact DW on clearance from the Tire rack for my Mustang. I have a few thousand street miles and two track days on them and can't even tell they are worn. The next set it gets will be whatever they have replaced that version with. They stick like glue in the rain or dry. Dang near race tire performance.

Last edited by Old Machinist; 10-10-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2019, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 bmw 335d
My rear tires are pretty much done also...
in fwy or streets when i hit those uneven road or small dips my 335 sedan seems to have a mind of its own. i heard michelin ps tires are good all around tires for all seasons. i also heard that when you buy new set of tires you should replace or move the old ones to the rear and always put the new set of tires in the front due to the heaviest part of the car is the front where the engine lays. idk if thats true or not but it kinda makes sense. can someone shine a light to all this that im saying ? greatly appreciated so i know if i needed a set of tires, balance, or just a simple alignment to cure my problem. thanks
Old 10-11-2019, 09:28 PM
Casual Fanatic

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
Stick with the Continental Contact DWS. They're a great tire. I run them on mine.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Today's Posts Search