S54 broken cam shaft, 15k - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 08-09-2019, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto:
S54 broken cam shaft, 15k

I picked it up my 2006 Z4 M two years ago (shared S54 engine with E46M3) and it now has 15,000 miles on it. Babied by the two previous owners it is close to immaculate. Broke down recently and turns out it was a broken camshaft (broke after cylinder 1) and damaged likely beyond repair. needs new cylinder heads, new pistons. Only cylinder 1 passed the leak test (under compression) and they ran a boar scope into the cylinders and had a look. Advice is to replace the engine (rebuild will be costly and hard to know if it will be successful until going through the substantial surgery).
I'm turning to my forum friends to see if you have any thoughts.
Options are - used S54 (anyone have a low mileage one kicking around?). Clearly popular. Might get a kidney match faster
New S54. Cost i'm told, if they exist, can be more than the car (paid 24k on Bring a Trailer).
Retrofit another engine (sad option but I'd consider)
Repair the engine (if anyone thinks this makes sense).

Thanks for your help in my hour of need (sniff...)
Kevin

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Today's Posts Search