Difference in 2015 and 2016 and 2017 and 2018 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X3 M, X5 M, X6 M, Z3 M & Z4 M > F85 X5 M and F86 X6 M (2016 - Current)

F85 X5 M and F86 X6 M (2016 - Current)
The BMW X5 M and X6 M are high-performance derivative of the X5 and X6. Introduced at the 2014 LA Auto Show and appearing in dealerships in 2015. Both modeles are powered by BMW's S63tu twin turbo charged V8 making 567 HP and 553 lb-ft of torque, the most power for any BMW xDrive vehicle.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
I'm trying to find the differences among the years. I'm assuming certain features became standard? Did the first year 2015 models have a lot of problems? Usually first year models have bugs. The reason I ask is because you can get the 2015 for around $55k but the 2016 are $65k which is a price difference.

Car and Driver says what's new for the 2017 is "The merino leather that covers the seating surfaces now can also grace the dashboard." I always thought that the 2015 and 2016 had the merino leather on the dash as standard. Is that not available on the earlier models? Was it an option? I hated the cheap plastic dashboard on my non M X5.

Last edited by jyeh74; 09-28-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2018, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto:
No recalls on any models. Early F85-F86 owners complained about 'clicking' when turning and squeaky brakes. Other than that, they're bulletproof compared to the E70's. The Full Merino Leather option was available on all years '15-'19 which included a leather dash. Packages for '15-'16 are the same. '17-'18-'19 offers optional wireless charging and/or Apple Carplay compatibility. WiFi hotspot is part of the executive package on the 17's-19's.

Last edited by DeeO; 09-30-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:20 PM

Isn't full merino leather standard? I don't think I've seen a plastic dashboard on the F85s.

Is WiFi hotspot not available in 15-16? Is it a monthly subscription plan?

Last edited by jyeh74; 09-29-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2018, 11:04 PM

Mein Auto:
Extended Merino is standard. Full Merino was a $2900 option. I haven't seen a plastic dash in a F85 either. Maybe you're thinking of the E70-E71's? No wifi in the 15-16's. It might be an expensive retrofit imo.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:40 PM

So why do you not see too many of these on the road compared to Porsche Cayenne Turbos or Range Rover Sports? All are over $100k yet the BMW is the most rare (at least in CA) even though it's the cheapest out of the bunch.

I did do a quick test drive at the dealer today. I must say I am not used to the artificial electric steering. I put everything in sport mode and then sport plus mode. The transmission seemed to have longer than usual shifts, almost a long lag, which I wasn't used to. My E70 shifts quicker and smoother (albeit a lot slower car performance-wise) The steering at the sport plus mode still didn't feel as responsive as my E70. It felt a little tightened over the comfort mode but it's still not like how I'm used to. I guess I'm used to the heavy steering. I've read owners mention that first they enjoyed the hydraulic feel of the older X5s but as you drive this car, you get used to the light electric feel and it is actually more precise. I have yet to understand what they mean by that. Maybe I need to test drive a E70m?

Last edited by jyeh74; 09-30-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
No recalls on any models. Early F85-F86 owners complained about 'clicking' when turning and squeaky brakes. Other than that, they're bulletproof compared to the E70's. The Full Merino Leather option was available on all years '15-'19 which included a leather dash. Packages for '15-'16 are the same. '17-'18-'19 offers optional wireless charging and/or Apple Carplay compatibility. WiFi hotspot is part of the executive package on the 17's-19's.
Was the squealing brakes and clicking sound something warranty would permanently fix?

I don't care about WiFi hotspots so the later ones probably won't be worth the money. Although I think touch screen in 2017 is a nice feature!

I'm trying to find a Donington Grey with Aragon Brown but it seems like the red interiors are more prevalent. The brown interior seem to have a premium price added over the black or redinteriors. Not sure why. I'll try to be patient. This is the best deal I found without too many miles but has red interior which is my second choice behind brown

Hey, check out this car I found on Cars.com: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...ff=share_other

Last edited by jyeh74; 09-30-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto:
Wifi and Carplay didnt come until 2017 - there is a new processor within the command unit so both are not backwards compatible.

BMW changed the leather trim options after the 2015 debut. My car has the full Merino Option but it doest show on the build sheet - the easy way to tell if the car has the option or not is the door cards and center console. If it was equipped, and the car has an accent leather like red or tan, you will see door cards and center consoles incorporating both colors in the finish for those items. If its just the standard leather package the leather will just be the single color in both of these areas.

Not quite sure how you could visually tell if you have a black interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Extended Merino is standard. Full Merino was a $2900 option. I haven't seen a plastic dash in a F85 either. Maybe you're thinking of the E70-E71's? No wifi in the 15-16's. It might be an expensive retrofit imo.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:11 AM

Test drove the f85. Likes the interior and power but just can't get used to the steering even on sport mode and sport plus. Think I'm getting a used e70m or a Cayenne Turbo. The electric steering on the new
Beemers suck. Anyone else agree with me?
Old 02-24-2019, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyeh74 View Post
So why do you not see too many of these on the road compared to Porsche Cayenne Turbos or Range Rover Sports? All are over $100k yet the BMW is the most rare (at least in CA) even though it's the cheapest out of the bunch.

I did do a quick test drive at the dealer today. I must say I am not used to the artificial electric steering. I put everything in sport mode and then sport plus mode. The transmission seemed to have longer than usual shifts, almost a long lag, which I wasn't used to. My E70 shifts quicker and smoother (albeit a lot slower car performance-wise) The steering at the sport plus mode still didn't feel as responsive as my E70. It felt a little tightened over the comfort mode but it's still not like how I'm used to. I guess I'm used to the heavy steering. I've read owners mention that first they enjoyed the hydraulic feel of the older X5s but as you drive this car, you get used to the light electric feel and it is actually more precise. I have yet to understand what they mean by that. Maybe I need to test drive a E70m?
I hope you are being sarcastic here. I owned an E70 for 3 years and now own an F85. On the F85, the shift points are 100% faster! The transmission is way better and adjustable and now has 8 speeds. Not to mention the steering which is on another level. The E70 and F85s dont even compare IMO. The F85 is light years better in function and form. The only thing I can say about you seeing more Cayenne Turbos is it's probably where you live because I would say it is the opposite here in the PNW Seattle area.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2019, 03:49 PM
BMW CCA #505303

Mein Auto: '15 650 '13 X5 '13 Raptor
Having owned (and loved) several E70's, I have to agree here 100%.

My 2015 F85 is and has been flawless. I have the Donnington Gray with Siverstone full merino leather, all options including night vision (which works awesome but I wouldn't recommend it at $2300).

As for options, pretty much everything is the same on a 2015 as it is on a 2018 with the exception of the latest iDrive version, which to be honest is a novelty that you'll play with a couple times but isn't why your buying this vehicle.

Performance wise, it is hands down superior to anything out there today (IMO).

I had read about the 'clicking' noise but it seems like a hit or miss issue, similar to any other 'issue' a vehicle would have. Mine has never had it.

The brakes are performance BMW brakes and are going to squeak, my E70 used to squeak as well.

Again, having a 2015 BMW X5M (F85), purchased new, I have no complaints about this performance vehicle whatsoever.

You can drive it as a daily driver without any issues or concerns and then if your feeling sporty, no need to change vehicles.

I still recall the dealer calling me last year asking if I wanted to 'upgrade' to a 2018 X5M. We had a good laugh together as he couldn't tell me why I would want to spend the money for literally the exact same vehicle (with the exception of an updated iDrive).
Old 02-10-2020, 11:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to SS Send a message via Yahoo to SS
Mein Auto: 650iC/X5 4.8/545i/330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrenay View Post
I hope you are being sarcastic here. I owned an E70 for 3 years and now own an F85. On the F85, the shift points are 100% faster! The transmission is way better and adjustable and now has 8 speeds. Not to mention the steering which is on another level. The E70 and F85s dont even compare IMO. The F85 is light years better in function and form. The only thing I can say about you seeing more Cayenne Turbos is it's probably where you live because I would say it is the opposite here in the PNW Seattle area.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I completely agree! I, too, had the E70, and now have the F85, and the transmission shifting and steering are MILES ahead! The transmission does hold the gear if in Sport Mode, or if on a level above the first, of course. But, in normal mode, it shifts flawlessly and without hesitation. Also, the steering and suspension can be adjusted. I'm wondering if the poster simply has not yet learned how to do all the adjustments?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X3 M, X5 M, X6 M, Z3 M & Z4 M > F85 X5 M and F86 X6 M (2016 - Current)
Today's Posts Search