Door latch recall - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: Florida
Door latch recall

I Recently took my 2008 BMW E66 to dealer for recall correction on door locks. Both front and rear left side displayed symptoms of door not closing or locking properly. It took the dealer 2 days to correct the issue but when I got the car two things I noticed. First the alternator/generator/battery light was flickering. The service advisor said that the proceedure did no involve the generator. Second was that the softclose was not working. The service advisor said that that was not covered under the recall and gave me a copy of the recall notice and suggested that I would need to make an appointment to have that matter resolved. When I got home and read the invoice it stated the "soft close will not work as before". The service advisor did state that it was the first time handling this recall.

Since that time the battery/alternator light flicked several times until one day the battery went dead at a service station and would not start with a jumper. On attempting to replace the battery with a good one to start the car we found that both battery cables were loose. Since swapping the battery back all is well.

Also a few days earlier I dropped the remote in a driveway and had to get the metal key to open the trunk as I believed I had locked the remote in the trunk. It opened the trunk but the remote was not there. When I tried the key in the drivers door lock it turned but did not open the door lock. I believe something was not reconnected properly.

The rear driver door inside handle also no longer springs back when used. I believe the same issue. Not reconnected properly.

The courtesy light at the bottom of the rear passenger door no long works. Possible something not reconnected properly.

To top this all the drivers door is still experiencing the original door close problem When ever it manifest itself we have to "slam the door about 4 to 6 times viciously to get it to lock."

This is rather annoying.
I have called the service manager several times and had no response and BMW customer relations claims that they have reached out to him/them via email and still no response.

Also
Does anyone experience any these issues after having the recall done.

Are the recall service required to be done by certified techs. Will BMW be responsible for any accident or injuries resulting from this negligence Or this is a dealer issue.
Should I be trusting this to be corrected by this dealer possibly with the same tech working on the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2019, 02:40 PM
Sick Puppy Motorwerks

Mein Auto: BMW 850Ci
When I had this recall done, they broke the soft close on all 4 doors of my B7, and when I made them aware of it, they claimed it was like that when I brought it in and that they can "fix" it to the tune of $1250 per door latch - no thank you!. I also had strange battery/alternator issues for the same basic reason - the idiot tech didn't follow through with making sure everything was put back the way it was supposed to be. I made several calls to BMW North America to ask what we can do here, but they are even bigger no-action losers than the dealerships that they oversee.

Mineral White Metallic 1993 850Ci
Alpine White III 2008 B7
Old 03-01-2019, 09:52 PM

Update
fixed the door lock and soft-close problem. And also the light and inside door handle and found that the window blind was damaged. The front door key issue was the key pin was not fitted back properly into the door latch. When I returned to the dealer the advisor told me that the barrel had to be changed. Right. What an incompetent tech. I don't even want to know what the stealer would have charged to fix all of these issues that they caused.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 318i; 745i; 750Li; Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandash View Post
Update
fixed the door lock and soft-close problem. And also the light and inside door handle and found that the window blind was damaged. The front door key issue was the key pin was not fitted back properly into the door latch. When I returned to the dealer the advisor told me that the barrel had to be changed. Right. What an incompetent tech. I don't even want to know what the stealer would have charged to fix all of these issues that they caused.
Could you explain a bit more of what you did and post pics? I had the recall done last month and my left rear passenger door isn't operating as it should. The soft close motor runs, but doesn't actually finish closing the door. Does that sound familiar to your issue?
Old 08-13-2019, 09:40 PM

I replaced the door latches with ones I got from local auto graveyard. I guess I was lucky to get good ones. I did not do pics but you can look up E65/e66 on youtube I followed this .
Old 08-15-2019, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto:
Just to offer my experience in this recall. I had the work done last week. Took 7 hours as they claimed they had to reprogram the entire car. I used to have an airbag light on the dash, its gone now. Other than that, everything else is fine. Soft close still works on all the doors.

But, just to add, in the paperwork i received it stated that checking the CA (soft close) was the very first thing they did before even starting the work. If the CA wasnt functioning properly they were supposed to notify you before even starting to work on the car.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search