Well, sh*t.. - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X1 xDrive35i
Like hearing your updates kevman2, I'm in the same boat with an 80 mile round trip daily. 2.5 years and the X1 is paid off, I won't mind driving it as much for work as well as pleasure/road trips.

My e90 328i has 146k now, I did a lot of maintenance to make sure it lasts to at least 225k. It needs the VCG, still sitting in my garage until I get a free weekend day to do it. I drive it hard and RWD sometimes feels faster than AWD, though I know it isn't.

My X1 35i is sitting at 67k now, and it gets 6k oil changes and will get a diff/transmission fluid change around 80. Plugs changed so far, but that is it other than the bolt on mods to make it rocket fast.

Agree with Yukoner, these are all still luxury cars. I do all the work I can myself or I'd never own one even making decent money. People like to complain about a 'cheap car' that was and may never be cheap.

Last edited by mcdanielvzw; 12-28-2019 at 05:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2019, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 xDrive35i
Side note, anyone else use the maintenance log to see exactly what they've spent on their car/home/etc? I started and it's interesting to see. Purchase price and monthly payments not included of course, but my 09 was bought cash for $8400 at 116k miles June of 18.

Maintenance costs to date *including* all mods
2014 X1 - 941.19 (occ, dp, used old charge pipe from my wrecked 2015)

2009 328i - 3377.70 (inflated because I bent 2 rims on a berm... bought used coupe rims... 2 tires and 2 rims were effed so I had to replace tires, true/weld rims + purchase 1 new rim...) Does not include roughly $150 to replace every. dang. bulb. in the car on purchase.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
It had no metal mud in it like I saw in My Mazda RX8
Wooooooooooo, I used to have an RX8. Hated the exterior colour, but honestly really liked the car and how it drove. Definitely not cheap on the maintenance tho (especially those damn ignition coils). Pic attached below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanielvzw View Post
Agree with Yukoner, these are all still luxury cars. I do all the work I can myself or I'd never own one even making decent money. People like to complain about a 'cheap car' that was and may never be cheap.
That's the problem. People equate the value of the car with what THEY paid, used. An E90 is, depending on features and trim and model and all that, ~$60K brand new. THAT is the value of the vehicle, and it is the basis for what all replacement parts cost. A $900.00 water pump ? Yeah. A replacement crate engine for $35K ? Yeah. Again, basing all of that against the ORIGINAL cost of the car. The issue is that people don't do that, they only value against what they paid used, which is usually a significant depreciated value. It's really hard to explain to people, TBH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170811_0819217.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	876819  

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2019, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
Yeah, RX8 and X1 s28i are both low mileage cars, and great shape.

It's kinda interesting that I paid approx $33k ttl for the 07 RX8, and by the tine I put BHR ign coils and fuel pump, and Bilstein B12 kit the price became what I paid for 14 X1 s28i.......$35k.

X1 s28i only needed some front 12mm spacers to make the handling work for me.

Here's a funny for ya!

"Sometimes I feel like some torque, sometimes I don't."

"X1 has torque......RX8 DON'T!"

Last edited by 0w40X1; 12-29-2019 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1
Welp.. sorry to 'necro' my own thread but I have updates.

Very impressed by others that have had good luck with things, that's great. Typical Yukoner is dogging on me as usual I see
- December was busy for me and family
- I did take it to an authorized BMW dealer as well
- $6K is more than most maintenance within 4 months on other cars
- sorry if you think I'm 'unreasonable' about it.

After complaining to the dealer, they took it back to repair the timing chain. They are splitting the cost with me, so my part is $2000.

I was going to come back to this forum to see if anyone thought that keeping it after this incident might be a good idea. Looking forward to any *helpful* replies.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: X1 2.0L xdrive
I think you did really well only paying $2000 for new chains out of warranty. Now you have almost nothing to worry about (knock on wood) that could toast the car.

As an aside, was there any lead up indications of this failure coming before the check engine light came on? It would be helpful for others to know what to look for and be pre emptive and fix before the chain breaks and destroys the engine.

Good Luck
Old 01-30-2020, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the good luck wish

No, there was nothing. I had tried listening to the engine while idling with the hood up. There were recordings somewhere of what the timing chain 'going out' would sound like. However, I freely admit I am not 'a car guy' but more than a little interested in learning. When talking with a mechanic that works on BMWs (post-purchase inspection within return period from dealer) he wasn't even aware of the timing chain thing being an issue so I chalked it up to me just fretting for no reason. I only learned of the issue myself when getting on here to find out about the engine auto start/stop.

So, yea, it happened without warning. Fortunately I was driving less than 30mph on a residential street and was able to stop almost immediately.

It's my hope that the 'limp' mode the engine put itself in saved it somehow and as long as oil galleries are/were not clogged then the engine and turbos would still be ok. I also don't mind saying that I eye it with caution now and got me wondering if I naively made a mistake in buying.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooferorg View Post
Typical Yukoner is dogging on me as usual I see
Yeah, because your expectations were unreasonable and you're the exact example of what we see on these forums all the time, someone buying a BMW who doesn't understand they own a luxury vehicle and the costs associated with that. If you didn't have the $6K to fix the vehicle, then I don't know if you have any business owning the car. Therein lies the issue - used BMW buyers don't have the maintenance cash lying around.

Anyways, that said, I'm glad to hear the dealer agreed to split costs with you. That's good of them, and good to see that dealers can still be worked with in an amicable fashion As I said earlier on in this thread and many others, being pleasant and patient goes a long way most of the time.

As for whether you should keep the vehicle - I'm going to say no, I think you should sell it. I say that because your next failure is going to end up in the same scenario, you posting a thread about how much this car sucks. You're going to have a $2K turbo failure. You're going to have a $500.00 ignition system overhaul. You're going to have a $1K valve cover gasket failure. These things happen. These things are known BMW maintenance points. Unless you're prepared for those costs (and willing to part with your money for those costs), I wouldn't suggest you keep the car. Just to be clear - I'm not trying to be a jerk to you here. I'm just giving you my honest advice based on what you've experienced thus far and your attitude towards it. I don't think you're going to be happy with this vehicle long term, unless you resign yourself to what realistic maintenance is going to cost you.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
I don't think you're going to be happy with this vehicle long term, unless you resign yourself to what realistic maintenance is going to cost you.
I am wondering about that too. Very good things to think about. Thank you for responding.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:22 AM
kevman2

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, x28i
155k still runs like new. Oil changes, brake pads at 100k, on 3rd set of tires. Couple of air filters. Thats it. Best car I ever owned.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
I would keep it, at least for a couple of years. As has been noted, the major potential issue with the engine is now resolved. I've had mine since new in 2013 and it has been trouble free, only requiring normal maintenance.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:02 PM

I don't disagree that the one single "major" concern with this engine has now been dealt with. However, that doesn't mean you can't ignore maintenance. You're going to need to do things like:

- Coolant flush
- Brake fluid flush
- Engine oil changes
- Power steering fluid flush
- Differential fluid change
- Transfer case fluid change
- Transmission fluid change

Now, some of these aren't necessarily required within the next 3 months or anything like that, but they do need to be done. Ignoring maintenance is a quick way to cause medium to long term issues with the vehicle.

Old 02-15-2020, 09:40 PM

As an update and close this 'chapter', I will report that the car is back in my possession. Drove it back from Chicago to Indy. My part was $2000, on a $5000 repair thanks to the recency of my purchase from the dealer and their willingness to step up and help. They had picked it up from me at the start of the year. Since they were helping me out I wasn't concerned about the amount of time it took. End result was it got done.

What they did:

Removed and replaced timing chain and guides etc.. Removed and replaced with new the valve cover gasket, crankshaft oil seal, engine oil cooler seal, vacuum pump seal, power steering drive belt, alternator drive belt. Obviously an oil change with that too. Their work is warrantied for parts and labor for a year they told me. So that's nice to have in mind as well.

With all that work done and the good drive home I'm looking to get the transmission drain/fill done and then see about the other maintenance things - things I was planning to do anyway before the timing chain failure. I was never expecting maintenance free, just hoping it wouldn't have had such a failure so soon after purchase. The timing chain thing being an issue was not known to me at purchase time so there was no way I could 'prevent it'. I'll likely keep it as a daily driver going forward and just try and show it some love.

Thank you for all the comments and help. It isn't possible to 'like' people's posts on here, so I wanted to say that I appreciate the thoughts.

Last edited by dooferorg; 02-15-2020 at 09:58 PM. Reason: thanks
Old 02-16-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
With all that work done and the good drive home I'm looking to get the transmission drain/fill done
I'm doing this on my X1 this year. It's a damn expensive item, ~$1,500.00 USD at the dealer. That's about ~$600.00 USD more than an E90. The reason, I'm told, is the fluid is much more expensive (different fluid as the transmission isn't the same as the E9x). Sucks, but you'll realistically only do it once or twice in the lifetime of the vehicle.

Old 02-17-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
I'm doing this on my X1 this year. It's a damn expensive item, ~$1,500.00 USD at the dealer. That's about ~$600.00 USD more than an E90. The reason, I'm told, is the fluid is much more expensive (different fluid as the transmission isn't the same as the E9x). Sucks, but you'll realistically only do it once or twice in the lifetime of the vehicle.
Interestingly a local shop that specializes in BMWs and Mercedes told me it'd be $375 ($210 for the fluid) using the ZF fluid like the stuff found here: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/lif...r-s67109031201

Just wanted to mention it.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Interestingly a local shop that specializes in BMWs and Mercedes told me it'd be $375 ($210 for the fluid) using the ZF fluid like the stuff found here: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/lif...r-s67109031201

Just wanted to mention it.
I'm guessing it's the filter. FCP is showing me $300.00 + $120.00 shipping for the non-Genuine kit. So I'm betting at least double that price for the Genuine kit

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search