BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2003 x5 4.6is,fast blinking driver side turn signal

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ben22101 
#1 ·
Have you checked all the lights that "blink" on the driver's side (front/side/rear)? Can't tell which "blinker bulb", socket, and plug in pigtail that was replaced/changed in your post above...so that's why I'm inquiring about all of the bulbs on the side that is affected.

A fast blinking turn indicator is usually a sign that a bulb or one of the filaments in a dual filament bulb is burnt out or blown. And since front, side, and rear bulbs "blink" when the turn indicator is initiated...it could be in any of those locations. It may also require an actual "visual" inspection...especially if you have dual filament bulbs (perhaps in the front or rear) because the LCM III or LCM IV has a "replacement light" feature where it will use another bulb to replace others...and this usually involves some dual filament bulbs where the low watt filament or high watt filament's output voltage is manipulated to make an adjustment. Looking at the bulb from the exterior with the lights turned on may not reveal the failed filament...which is why you have to visually inspect the bulbs.

See less See more
#2 ·
fast blinking turn signal '03 x5 4.6is

yes ,I have done the physical walk around to verify that all other lights are working. driver side front turn signal bulb is the only one that does not work while engine is running...the components I mentioned , the bulb, the bulb socket and the electrical pig tail plug in are all associated with that left front signal... with key in number 1 position, ALL lights blink normally (front, side and rear)... in the emergency flasher mode ,ALL lights blink normally (front,side and rear)...it is only when the vehicle is started and running that I get the driver side fast blinking failure, an inspection at this point shows that the driver side / side marker, and back tail light are blinking fast, the front bulb is not even lit... I must be missing something,I just can't figure out what.

#3 ·
I’ve had a problem where I’ve had to replace both the socket and the bulb twice. Once before replacing the socket then again when I replaced the socket. Strangest issue I’ve encountered with an automobile. Had a similar issue with my tail lamp on my 530i with the aluminum seating configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.