Build Log: M57 X5 - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E61
Here are a bunch of pics from my Holiday road trip.

Duck Creek Village, UT.
Cargo box was a life saver...

Zion National Park, UT

Zebra Slot Canyons, UT.

Bryce Canyon, UT

Sedona, AZ

Free car wash in Sedona
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/St...=w1304-h978-no

Terrible pick but proof I was in Flagstaff, AZ as well!

Lake Havasu City, AZ

- KW V3, RD Sport Sways, UR Strut Braces, Forgestar F14 SDC
- Manual Swap, MFactory SMFW, Spec Stg 3+ Clutch, Shiftteck SSK
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Ethanol Sensor
- N54B30, JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Y-Pipe Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB PCV, BMS OCC

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Love that your furry buddies were part of the trip.
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions
Old 01-24-2020, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Agreed with FredoinSF - awesome pictures and the best trips always include pups!
Old 01-24-2020, 07:34 AM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp + E30 325
Are you a fellow Gaucho E70 owner?

Cool pics!

No-Haggle/Internet Special Pricing NEW BMW SALES email me for a quote: [email protected]
Old 02-03-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shafer View Post
Are you a fellow Gaucho E70 owner?
Yessir, I had the pleasure of attending UCSB and played volleyball there, graduated 2007.

Evan
- N54B30, JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Y-Pipe Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB PCV, BMS OCC

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 02-03-2020, 08:55 AM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp + E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post
Yessir, I had the pleasure of attending UCSB and played volleyball there, graduated 2007.

Evan

Nice! Class of '83 here Evan.. UCSB FTW!

No-Haggle/Internet Special Pricing NEW BMW SALES email me for a quote: [email protected]
Old 02-03-2020, 09:08 AM

After the winter road trip I picked up a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S tires. 295/40/20. I will run these as an temporary solution as I am still going back n forth with keeping a 20x11 square setup or going to a staggered 20x10F 20x11R. With the snow tires and cargo box removed I was curious to see what kind of MPG gain there would be. It's hard to get pure highway MPG figures that don't get diluted with my aggressive city driving.

I was able to get some clean highway runs in, only ~40 miles total but the drive was an out and back on the same stretch, average speed was 65mph and the return was 35mpg, nice!

I became fond of the looks, strength, and weight of the Camaro ZL1 wheels and didn't see putting the Style 612Ms back on so they were sold

Mountain bike! \M/

20mm spacers were replaced with 30mm for flushness in the rear

Before

After

Installed my 3" QTP exhaust valve. These slip on clamps made installa breeze and I am happy with the results. I still need to mount the switch in the cabin.

Front suspension is now completely refreshed, new OEM top hats, bushings, sport bump stops, KYB struts, and H&R 1.2 springs.

With the rear suspension things are a bit more complicated...

Researching on RealOEM and on other sites I heard that the rear struts for non-air equipped E70s have longer struts and taller (cupped) strut mounts, in a particular photo where someone was comparing the air vs non-air rear struts it looked like the sturt body was the same but the stanchion was longer on the non-air. So my though was to install the non-air struts and mounts on my X5 which, based on my info at the time, would allow 2" more suspension travel before the bump stops came into play, allowing better ride quality when lowered. However after ordering 2 sets of new rear struts (both air and non-air) it became apparent the 2" length difference is 100% in the sturt body so my plan fell apart.

Non-Air TOP vs Air BOTTOM

Here is the 2" difference in the strut mounts. Air=Flat Non-Air=Dome

Another X5 owner was brainstorming with me and he had the idea to run the shorter "Air" rear struts with the domed non-air mounts; the idea being with domed strut mount would allow the strut extra room to move on a lowered vehicle and hopefully allow for proper strut function at a lowered ride height. I gave this a shot and after about 1 week or testing I came to the conclusion that this combo also wasn't ideal, ths strut was operating at essentially full length. If the sturt only saw compression this is probably OK and better than having the sturt working while significantly compressed however, knowing that the suspension will articulate and extend periodically I could see this damaging the strut when if it was topped out.

To conclude what really needs to happen is to take these 2" taller non-air struts mounts, have 1" of material removed, and have them welded back together. This should allow the strut to operate in an acceptable range on a lowered vehicle.

With the short strut + domed mounts installed I knew the strut might perform better at an even lower ride height to I adjusted the rear down another 3/4". With the strut bolt removed you can see how the strut at full extension sits in relation to the control arm.

I raised the rear back up and reverted to the shorter air strut and flat strut mount. Ride quality isn't as good as it was with the taller mount but I know won't be potentially damaging the strut.

Check this out. A tuning company is pushing the limits of the M57 motor with their 335D. I can't imagine it staying together long at this power level (and 50% nitrous) but these numbers are crazy for a STOCK engine and STOCK turbo M57. Just nuts!

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 02-04-2020, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Wow, those power numbers are impressive! That's big HD pickup territory with 6.6l turbo diesels!
Old 02-17-2020, 07:46 AM

I had a chance to execute the 3.15 rear end swap, I will be making a separate thread on this but will add some cliff notes here. For those who have done diff swaps, the change from 3.64 to 3.15 doesn't offer any surprises. Install was straight forward. The downside is acceleration from a dig isn't as dramatic but normal daily driving benefits from the gearing as the X5 has a lot of torque and has no issue moving itself along. The real benefit of this comes at highway speeds, I did some stretches at 60-65mph and it was returning ~35mpg which is what the 3.64 mustered. 65-80mph is where the 3.64 would fall apart and MPGs would drop down to the low-mid 20s, with the 3.15 at 70mph the X5 was still returning 35mpg. I still need to do some testing at higher highway speeds, 80+mph, but the X5 is definitely not as affected by the added speed. I will be swapping in the front diff to complete the gearing conversion and recommend this mod to others who value highway MPG and a less dramatic driving experience overall.

I was able to get a drive from San Diego up to Orange County, just under a 200 mile round trip, mainly flat with some rolling hills. On the drive up I was able to get 32.2mpg and this included 10 miles of urban driving to a shop. On the way home I got 35.1mpg highway only. Unfortunately I wasn't able to hand calculate the figures, this is based off cluster read-out and mine is usually 0-1mpg optimistic so take it for what it's worth.

Big Ass Wrench

If you recall I was playing around with running the shorter rear-air struts with the taller (2" taller) upper strut mounts from a non-air X5 and the goal was to get proper strut actuation while lowered. the air strut with the air mount was too compressed and the air strut with the non-air mount was too extended so I made some 1/2" and 3/4" spacers out of plastic cutting boards which are used to space the taller non-air mount down bring the strut into normal operating range.

To accommodate the spacers I needed to replace the OEM M10 studs with longer versions, after some research I found that ATVs run M10 wheels studs and with all the crazy modding that is going on in that industry, some companies make extended wheel studs to accommodate spacers. I found some that gave me an extra ~20mm of usable thread length.

Old studs out

Extended studs

Building spacers

I made 2 sets of 1/2" and a pair of 3/4" so I can space the mounts as needed between 1/2-1"

What's interesting is how little stanchion travel BMW allows before the bump stops come into play on the rear struts. There are 3 OEM bump stop options: short, medium, and long with the short being sport, long being for 3rd row, and medium for X5s spec's in the middle.
Looking at the meidum bump stop install you can see there is only about 10mm of travel before the bump stop is activated, this is why most X5s ride so poorly when lowered, most are riding on the bump stops, literally.

Here is the medium BS in the back and the sport (short) bump stop installed.

Here is a sport trimmed.

I installed the medium bump stop and paired with a 1/2" spacer which positions the strut in an acceptable operating range but closer to the "extended" side of the spectrum as opposed to "compressed." I know I am still mis-matching the dampening characteristics of the strut with squished air bags but this is a step in the right direction, more testing to do.

I got around to installing the switch for my QTP exhaust valve. I ditched the huge/ugly/hard-to-operate switch QTP supplies for a sleeker momentary switch I bought off eBay, I wanted a more OEM look and easier operation. The goal was to mount the switch in an easy to access location that was also a bit out of sight, and I wanted to mount the switch into a panel or piece of trim that could be easily replaced if I wanted to revert back to stock. Very happy with how everything came together.

With the dark theme of the X5 the taillights and their bright red bothered me a bit so I got some Lamin-X smoked film. This is the lightest they make and offers the "dark-cherry" look I was going for. I also used some knifeless tape to cut the film so that it was only on the red and the white/clear sections have no film.

As a lighting nerd this is a step in the wrong direction in terms of illumination and safety so I had to offset that. I upgraded the rear turn signal and brake light bulbs to Diode Dynamics LED bulbs, I also coded the light module to do a double hazard flash. The bulbs are significantly brighter and combined with the instant-on flash of LEDs the turn signal more effective now than it was in the OEM configuration, even with the tint.

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 02-17-2020, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
I am in awe of your mechanical skills. Where do you find the time though?

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions
Old 02-18-2020, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto:
WOW!!! great pictures and what a travel trip you had!!
Old 02-21-2020, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 97 alpine white m3 sedan
Evan, I was always a huge fan of your wagons. You continue to impress with your X5!

Question for ya, for the QTP cutout. How you plan to route the wiring for the switch, and where will you mount it?
Old 02-21-2020, 01:53 PM

whoa, just realized that's my 1st post on this forum. I picked a sweet thread to do it in, lol
Old 02-21-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan View Post
Evan, I was always a huge fan of your wagons. You continue to impress with your X5!

Question for ya, for the QTP cutout. How you plan to route the wiring for the switch, and where will you mount it?
I posted a pic of where I mounted the switch in my last post, look above. I ran the wiring along the left size of the vehicle under the carpet and lower door mouldings.

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 02-21-2020, 02:58 PM

wow, right above the hood release. that looks so clean

(sorry I missed it, I def scrolled too fast on that one)

1 more qtp related question for ya. did you have to drill any holes to run the wiring from the rear / exhaust area and into the cabin?
Old 02-24-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
1 more qtp related question for ya. did you have to drill any holes to run the wiring from the rear / exhaust area and into the cabin?
I used rubber grommets that already existed in the rear muffler area

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 02-24-2020, 08:49 AM

I was able to get the X5 on some dynos, both a Mustang Dyno and a Dynojet.

Mustang was 317whp 504wtq
Dynojet was 370whp 520wtq

For those that don't know Mustang dynos use load and typically read lower. In general Mustang dynos should be more accurate but it's hard to say since it all comes down to proper calibration. Dynojets are more common for "big stick" comparisons amongst enthusiasts as dynojets are simply and measure power based off how quickly the vehicle can spin a drum, less variables to manipulate the numbers.

The dynojet operator was starting the pulls at way higher RPMs then he should have, shame on me for not picking up on this but he was going WOT between 2,500 and 3,000 rpm (seriously) and the M57 makes peak TQ around 2,950 so for my observant BMW diesel enthusiasts you may notice the Dynojet TQ numbers seem low, this is why, with a clean pull TQ #s would likely be ~550wtq.

On the Mustang dyno I was able to compare my custom inlet to the OEM airbox and although the data isn't perfect since the engine was getting a little heat soaked, it looks like the intake does flow better and offered more power, roughly +10hp +10tq. I am patiently waiting for the shop to email me the overlaid graphs.

On the Dynojet I did 2 pulls with my custom intake and 2 with just a 3.5" velocity stack mounted on the MAF. The pulls are so chaotic and the data so sloppy it's hard to discern what's going on but there was no measurable difference between the two.

Mustang session

Dynojet session

Custom Intake

Velocity stack

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 04-28-2020, 11:03 AM

It's been a while but this update is a good one!

I finished building and installed my Brembo big brake kit, which uses F10 M5 front calipers and rotors along with Porsche Panamera rear calipers with F85 rotors. 6-piston front 4-piston rear monoblock Brembo calipers.
I posted details on the BBK here: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...1#post13318321

Here are some pics of the finished product.

In other news I also got around to installing my Provent 200 OCC. It's a bit of a pain to install given it's huge size but I am happy with how it came out. Time will tell if I need to make revisions because some people have had issues with hoses becoming compromised over time from oil, leaking fittings etc.

I built a block off plate out of some 1/4" aluminum. I hacked it up with an angle grinder, a drill, and Dremel. Surprisingly it came out pretty good! I also bought some adapters from Australia via eBay that step the HGUE 1" hose bungs on the Provent down to a more manageable 19mm 3/4" hose. This offers many more hose options and the smaller hoses are easier to work with. I built a bracket for the Provent out of another bracket I had laying around (LED light bar IIRC) and some aluminum stock.

I also chopped down my dipstick, it was obnoxiously high as it was designed to have the engine cover and large air intake box installed so I cut it down so it's still functional but out of the way, this also freed up some room for more direct Provent hose routing.

For vacuum source I use the OEM plastic pipe that runs along the valve cover, I bored it out so a 10orb to 12an adapter could be threaded in. I am happy with this as it can be removed and the system can 100% be reverted to stock relatively easily, I don't plan to do this but it's nice having the option.

I modded the Provent as others have done to regulate the strong vacuum on the system. You can also see the clear hose in the background which I use for my drain, it's plugged a ziptied away by the transmission splash shield. Some have ran this back into the dipstick but I prefer to drain the oil myself so I can see how effective the system is.

While I really wanted the OCC to be out of sight, given it's size and the layout of the engine bay I couldn't find a decent solution even while exploring relocating items like the HVAC coolant lines and valve. Where my Provent has a fairly prominant location, it is very accessible and it does visually block some unsightly vacuum and fuel lines just behind it. This location also allowed for fairly clean and direct hose routing.

With the X5 in the garage for a bit I also repaired the boost leak on my ATM intercooler up pipe

Installed X6 OEM black grills

Replaced the cabin air filter

Clay-barred the paint

....and cleaned the leather
BEFORE

AFTER

Here are some additional pics!

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 04-28-2020, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xdrive35d White
Been seeing you on FB groups as well Evan! I find a lot of helpful stuff on there in addition to here. Nice updates!!!
Old 04-28-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010xdrive35d View Post
Been seeing you on FB groups as well Evan! I find a lot of helpful stuff on there in addition to here. Nice updates!!!
Happy to hear that, thanks.

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 04-28-2020, 01:13 PM

those brakes look so mean!

may I ask how you came about using panamera calipers in the rear?

I am on the hunt for something that fits on f25 x3's and our choices are slim. If I could find a way to source parts off other cars (like panamera's) it would open up a new world for us f25 guys

looking real real clean, inside and out. have you ever looked into synthetic clay bars (clay mitts) at all? I was able to clay my entire f25 2x if not 3x faster than using traditional clay.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
those brakes look so mean!

may I ask how you came about using panamera calipers in the rear?

I am on the hunt for something that fits on f25 x3's and our choices are slim. If I could find a way to source parts off other cars (like panamera's) it would open up a new world for us f25 guys

looking real real clean, inside and out. have you ever looked into synthetic clay bars (clay mitts) at all? I was able to clay my entire f25 2x if not 3x faster than using traditional clay.
I haven't looked into the synthetic clay bars. If it is a mit I am not sure if would fit my hands, I am bit of a big boy at 6'8" with a 7'2" wingspan, size 17 feet, and hands are lovingly referred to as banana hands.

If you click on the link to my thread on the brakes there is a link in there which is where I learned about the Porsche calipers. Essentially it comes down to making sure the measurements are compatible and then at some point you need to take a caliper and mock it up to confirm it CAN work, and of course then build custom brackets to make it work but first things first you need to rotors will fit on the vehicle and that the calipers/pads are at least compatible. Of course there is brake bias and other concerns with the hydraulic system which should be in spec but AFAIK all these brake retrofit kits start with someone researching and then taking the plunge to test fit.

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 04-28-2020, 02:31 PM

you sir are a very very large person .... lol

the next best thing to try are the clay towels. I currently have this one in my amazon cart:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...E7U53NWQ&psc=1

tip = buy the one from "amazon warehouse", I would say 9 times out of 10, USED items show up NEW but albeit in a beat up box.... which doesnt bother me

much respect on the brakes, so much research and rest fitting involved. and my hats goes off to those who have the ability to fab up their own brackets and mounts *salute*
Old 04-28-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
much respect on the brakes, so much research and rest fitting involved. and my hats goes off to those who have the ability to fab up their own brackets and mounts *salute*
Thanks but to be clear I didn't fabricate the brackets, they were premade for this application.

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 04-29-2020, 07:53 AM
2010 BMW X5 35d

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5 35d
THANK YOU so much! I have really enjoyed reading and studying the pictures/details you have posted. I have 3 X5 35ds with the JR 2.8 tune and love the power/torque and fuel mileage. You have really given me more incentive to get back in the garage and work some more and at 73 years old, and some days I need your ideas that you have shown just for some more boost. I have added flared fender wheels, staggered wheels and larger tires and really like driving my X5s and even drive them more than the M3. I do have my oldest highest mileage 35d that has thrown a reduced power mode code several times and need to get the intake off and check injectors, vacuum lines and a few solenoids just to cure that problem too. THANK YOU again and keep posting when you do more improvements or have time! Jim in TN

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search