DAS VADER: E39 Touring Build Log - Page 5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-12-2020, 08:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
This is insane ***x1f642; The car is basically brand new now! I'm afraid to imagine how much it all cost...

I wanted to ask about the headlights though

Quote:
Lexus RX AFS projectors (custom curved shields and E30 clear lenses) were retrofitted, Osram CBI bulbs, OEM Hella ballasts were "boosted' from 35w to 43w.
Angel eyes disconnected and rings frosted, high beam bezel blacked out.
Can you expand on this? How did you fit RX AFS projectors? From my research looks like they're so much better then Evos2
https://www.m5board.com/threads/retr...lights.604656/
Where did you buy them?

Did you use lenses from E30 to put on hella e39 headlights? And how did you get the curved shields or did you buy them somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2020, 12:04 AM

Mein Auto: 00528iT 01530i 08328ic
Wow, just wow. The vision and passion matched with the money and time you have put in are unbelievable. I am an e39 and iT enthusiast and live in SD as well. Will keep an eye out for you and your masterpiece. It is un-freakin'-believable, but obviously has been done. One question, Do you treat your bicycles as well? If you need to offload the sand rear trim you swapped out or have good sources, I'd appreciate a shout. Regardless, your efforts are truly inspiring
Old 04-30-2020, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: E61
Das Vadr has been very patient as my E61 and diesel X5 have been getting all the attention but the wait is over and Vadr is cleaned and in the garage for the main phase of the build.

6MT swap
M5 clutch
E60 SSK
M5 steering Box
Zionsville cooling setup
Timing chain guides
Vanos refresh
Water pump
MAS!

Can’t wait! This thing makes a killer soundtrack and with 3 pedals it’s going to be a very slick “muscle wagon”.

V8 + Manual + Wagon = Yes Please

Once all the mechanical work is done I plan to drive and enjoy the wagon for a bit. This will also give me time to make sure everything is sorted and I can wrap up the remaining cosmetic work repairs, then the plan is to sell it on BAT buuuut we will see how much I like it.

Lot's to come!

- KW V3, RD Sport Sways, UR Strut Braces, Forgestar F14 SDC
- Manual Swap, MFactory SMFW, Spec Stg 3+ Clutch, Shiftteck SSK
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Ethanol Sensor
- N54B30, JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Y-Pipe Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB PCV, BMS OCC

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 05-08-2020, 11:07 AM

Wagon is in the garage and disassembled. I cleaned the engine yesterday, what a mess it was. Today I am going to drop the subframe and clean that as well and finally wipe down the engine bay. I am a bit stickler about having a clean work environment so getting all the oily gunk off everything was critical.

After I finish cleaning I will go through all the parts I have and with the engine out (and clean) I can see if I need to replace additional parts, gaskets, etc. I already have a small list of parts I will be ordering.

Moving forward I will probably first address the Vanos and chain guides, then proceed with the m5 steering box, manual swap, and last will be cooling setup and custom intake.

Let's start with a pic of the cargo area because, wagon.

Up she goes

Cleaning parts as they are removed

Anyone want to get tripped out by some German over-engineering look up this suction jet for the brake booster

Looks like the CCV was leaking

M60 manifold getting assembled with the M62TU CCV daiphram + distribution tube, and larger N62 throttle body

Throttle body wasn't sitting uber flush with the manifold adapter so I bored it out for MAX HP boi!
BEFORE

AFTER

Remove, plug, label, repeat

Console out

Since I was removing the engine and trans at once I removed the front clip for easier access

YOINK

Now to clean engine

Cleanliness, I salute you

Well, that's ONE way to design a manifold..... lol

An example of the small parts I will be ordering, rear coolant manifold o-rings

Engine before cleaning

During

After
- N54B30, JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Y-Pipe Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB PCV, BMS OCC

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 05-08-2020, 11:54 AM
What Speed Limit?

Mein Auto: 2003 M5
If I were you, I'd replace as many of the seals on the engine as you can with it out unless you've done it already. Specifically the rear main seal, coolant blockoff plate above it and cross over pipes.

I feel you on cleaning though. I always clean parts when I remove them as well, especially ones in the engine bay unless it's being replaced lol. Car will be very happy after it's all done. As I've said many times before. A clean engine, is a happy engine!

Sent from Uranus with Love.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:03 AM
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)

Mein Auto: 01 M5
Going to do anything about the manifolds while you're in there?

Reliable P.O.S. - 1995 Camry V6. 260k mi+.
E39 M5 - TiAg/Schwarz Nappa (M1SW) 07-18-2001 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 171,000mi and increasing daily.

Prior:
Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfs021 View Post
If I were you, I'd replace as many of the seals on the engine as you can with it out unless you've done it already. Specifically the rear main seal, coolant blockoff plate above it and cross over pipes.
I have a copious amount of gasket, o-rings, and seals for the engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
Going to do anything about the manifolds while you're in there?
Headers will stay stock. These M62/S62 really benefit from long tube headers (I had SS long tube headers on my old M5) but spending $3,000+ on a mod like that before selling a car doesn't seem like a wise financial decision. Since the M62 headers are shared with the S62 the the BMW M car tax exists for us 540i owners even though most 540is on the road are probably valued at $3,000. lol

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 06-25-2020, 05:54 PM

Time for an update!

Setting

DOHC gives it a "deep V"

Engine bay before cleaning

Subframe and 540i steering box before cleaning

Engine bay after cleaning

Subframe cleaned

Obligatory dog pics

Now with everything clean we can install stuff!
M5 steering box with misc parts which will be used to build a wiring harness.

Following in the footsteps of our forum forefathers I borrowed an electrical connector from an E38, notice the opposing channels

Easy Problem to solve with a Dremel.
Before:

After:

M5 steering installed. I still need to run the wiring to the module

Adapting the wiring to accommodate the larger N62 throttle body. The original plan was to repin the connector but I ran into issues removing some pins and soldered everything.

Now you see it

Now you don't

Aluminum pipe that connects the Secondary Air pump to the block. I am deleting this system altogether and I can leave the pipe in place and block the connection up top but I like keep engine bays as uncluttered as possible so it's easier access everything.

My plan is to chop off the ends of the pipe, cap/weld them shut, and essentially make them small discrete plugs for the block.

Piecing together the custom 4" intake. I bought an AFE intake but might go with a Dinan CAI if I can find a deal on one. If I keep the AFE I will apply some additional thermal barrier to the backside AFE's heat shield.

Time for a break...

BACK TO WORK!!!!

Before opening the engine I needed to reinstall the flywheel I had previously removed. The FW is needed to lock the crankshaft.

This also required some spacers and new longer bolts

TDC

Locking intake and exhaust camshafts

Guides were worn but I am happy to report they were not failing.

It's apparent the plastics have seen some heat as they were very fragile.

Old parts and some new parts!

Front side disassembled

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 06-25-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:54 PM

Rebuilding the vanos units with parts and press tool from Beisan Systems. Overall the process is simple: remove old rubber o-ring and teflon ring, install new rings, and press the heck out of the assembly to seal the outer lip like a soda can. I
Installing the teflon rings takes some patience to avoid damaging it; space is tight and bit awkward around the inner helical gear.

You torque the press to 100ft/lb

....and then give the bolt an additional full revolution

This is the outer lip before pressing with a 3-4mm gap

This is after.

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 07-10-2020, 06:18 PM

New drive chain and o-rings for the oil pump

New vanos distribution block gaskets

New chain tensioners

New chain guides, rebuilt vanos units, and gears installed. Timing set (vanos fully c-clockwise) and camshaft bolts torqued. For those uber observant: no, I didn't counterhold the exhaust cam while torquing the intake cam.

New crank hub seal

Lower timing cover installed

Cooling mani with new gaskets and o-rings

New dipstick o-ring

New o-ring for alternator

Took the engine off the stand and hung it on the cherry picker so I could pull the upper oil pan off and replace the gasket.

New water pump + thermostat, valve covers freshly refinished (powder coat) with new gaskets all around.

On the rear of the engine. The upper coolant plate got a new gasket and (not pictured) is a new rear main seal and gasket for that plate. This work on the back of the engine was all done prior to torquing down the main oil pan to avoid any issues, you can see what I am talking about in pic taken from under the engine with the oil pan off (3 pics above).

With deleting the SAP I wanted to trim the fat of stuff I didn't need, the aluminum pipe running along the front of the engine is one of them. I took the pipe, cut off the ends to make plugs. To cap them I took an aluminum plate and cut out some small discs that I pressed into the ends of the pipe and recessed them a few millimeters so I could fill/weld them shut with some low temp brazing rods.

I don't have much experience with metal fab and this was my first time brazing. I used a propane torch and it all worked out; the results were what I was hoping for so I am happy! Of course the plugs got fresh o-rings.

Plugs hiding under the upper timing covers

New belt pulleys and tensioners installed along with the power steering pump, dip stick, knock sensors, and manifold (with new crank case vent tube).
Whats nice is this is what the front of the engine will look like WITHOUT the aluminum pipe for the SAP and without the fan + fan clutch mounted to the water pump pulley. It should look a lot more tidy once installed.
More to come!

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 07-24-2020, 08:13 AM

I am moving into a new house and the goal was to get the E39 drivable but time got away from me and I am deep into some garage remodeling that needs to get done before I can move into the space and eventually, continue the build. A little inconvenient to hit pause on a build like this but the upside to being a slow methodical sloth when wrenching is I know exactly where I am at with the build, where everything goes, and where everything is so I expect a smooth transition when the build commences. My garage will be a better space to work in as well.

New console inlay

Modding pedal assembly

Kick down clicker removed from pedal

Vanos oil check valves replaced

Brass fork pivot, one and done!

Went to the local LKQ to get some small parts and not only were there 3 E39 wagons, they were in a row, jackpot!

Headers and oil filter installed

When removing the engine the space was real tight between the steering box and headers, in efforts to make my life simple I tried a new installation method:
- completely drop subframe
- hoist in engine and trans
- loosely bolt in trans support for rough alignment
- bolt in subframe
- lower engine onto engine mounts
- tighten trans mount and remove hoist,
....it was still a tight fit but worked well considering the engine, trans, and headers went in as one unit

With the engine in place I installed the radiator support and temporarily the Zionsville radiator which allowed me to test fit my AFE intake and "custom" 4" piping. fits like a glove between the exp. tank and the cam sensor. I am still on the fence between the AFE or getting a Dinan CAI. If I keep the AFE I will add some extra foil/heat shielding to the current heat shield/air box.

Currently she is a rolling chassis with functional steering and brakes, the engine is in for good but trans will come back out for clutch and flywheel installation. Nonetheless I am pumped to see the build coming together.

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 07-24-2020, 06:32 PM
What Speed Limit?

Mein Auto: 2003 M5
Coming out great. Almost makes me want to do the same thing to my M5 and rebuild it. But I don't have the time, tools, or space...or patience lol.

And did I spot an m-par wheel on your wall turned into a clock?

Can't blame you for being excited. You've been at this for awhile now. Definitely want some sound clips of this beast when it's all done. Freaking awesome work man!

Sent from Uranus with Love.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search