Added DIY video for replacing tension struts/thrust arms - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 3.0si
Added DIY video for replacing tension struts/thrust arms

I added a DIY video for replacing the tension struts/thrust arms on a 2007 X5.
This is a common failure point in the suspension where the ball joints fail and make noise.
The hardest part is removing the 27mm star nut from the bottom that has a lot of torque applied when tightened. I basically had to use my whole body and get leverage to undo these, but I was able to do it with a closed end wrench.

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2020, 04:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5d 2011, 530e
Thanks for the video! I am just in the middle of the project. I am lost with which torque to use - can somebody help? I have 27 mm wrench which I used to undo the start nut at the bottom part of the thrust arm. I guess I am not able to use torque wrench as for the 18 mm nut at the top?

Also, I understand that I need to torque when the suspension is under load. I have the car on two stands and the jack under the front jacking point. Can I just use bottle jack under the suspension to load it?

Thanks!

Ultimate Towing Machine - towing Jayco 28DSBH (2017)

We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:37 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanar200 View Post

Also, I understand that I need to torque when the suspension is under load. I have the car on two stands and the jack under the front jacking point. Can I just use bottle jack under the suspension to load it?

Thanks!
Get some wood or concrete blocks and lower the car onto the blocks. Be like sitting on th ground, but you can get under....

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2020, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: X5d 2011, 530e
Thanks, good idea! Unfortunately, wood or concrete blocks are not that common in my neighborhood Looking for these torques - I believe I should be here

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...mounts/4Pz8zV2

If I read correctly, the upper nut spec: Jointing torque 100 Nm, Angle of rotation 90 , the bottom nut: 80 Nm

What does it mean "angle of rotation 90 ? Should I torgue 100 Nm and then additionally move wrench 90 ?

For the bottom nut, I do not have 27 mm socket for my torque wrench. Is there any trick not to overtorque 80 Nm?

Ultimate Towing Machine - towing Jayco 28DSBH (2017)

We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:39 AM

Mein Auto: X5 e70 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanar200 View Post
Thanks, good idea! Unfortunately, wood or concrete blocks are not that common in my neighborhood Looking for these torques - I believe I should be here

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...mounts/4Pz8zV2

If I read correctly, the upper nut spec: Jointing torque 100 Nm, Angle of rotation90 , the bottom nut: 80 Nm

What does it mean "angle of rotation 90 ? Should I torgue 100 Nm and then additionally move wrench 90 ?

For the bottom nut, I do not have 27 mm socket for my torque wrench. Is there any trick not to overtorque 80 Nm?

Yes 100Nm and then 90 deg more. Indeed you cannot acces the nut with regular torque tools, so the only option is to torque at the bolt.

No there is no trick that get close enough on that 80Nm nut. Go get a socket.

Ramps or blocks is good for getting to ride hight as ard said. I marked the shock/shock cover edge before jacking the car up, and used that as reference for compressing the suspension again. Its tricky as that lifts the car off the jack stands. Put some additional security in place, and dont get under!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search