AWD vs. RWD on X3 28i- NC - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)

X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
The second generation X3 added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 07-02-2020, 02:55 PM
Once Red

Mein Auto: 2017 sDrive X3
AWD vs. RWD on X3 28i- NC

Please ehlp me with a few more questions:
Seems like there's recent RWD cars coming off lease in 2017 vintage cars. Mileage between 27K-38K. RWD is $1500-2500 less on front end. Haven't had RWD since 9 years ago in a 528. (I know big difference). And oh do I remember my Mustang GTs.....
What are peoples' thoughts on this? I'm mostly on highways in Southeast USA.
SLAINTE'

Last edited by CymruNC; 07-02-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2020, 03:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
We got xDrive because we're eventually moving to the foothills of the Smoky's, and we'll be living on top of one of those hills. Charlotte doesn't get nearly as much snow. Going with sDrive (RWD) will avoid expensive transfer case and front driveshaft replacement costs in the future. The DSC will use the rear brakes to make "posi-traction" when your need it even with sDrive. sDrive will also get you about an extra one or two MPG.

BMW finally started building 2WD SUV's specifically for the sunbelt market in the U.S. Looking on BMW of Bubbaville's website, over 75% of their new SUV's in stock are sDrive.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:32 PM
Once Red

AWD VS RWD in SE

Thanks for comments. And hope you enjoy "the hills" of NC as we have.... coming from Illinois. Good point on long term maintenance for front wheel parts. May think more on the RWD.
I read somewhere that the sDrive is now FWD on 2019-2020s?? Not enough $ for those.
Slainte'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CymruNC View Post
Thanks for comments. And hope you enjoy "the hills" of NC as we have.... coming from Illinois. Good point on long term maintenance for front wheel parts. May think more on the RWD.
I read somewhere that the sDrive is now FWD on 2019-2020s?? Not enough $ for those.
Slainte'
The current generation X1, the X2, and the 2 Series Gran Coupe are based on FWD architecture. On the 28i xDrive versions, torque is only sent to the rear wheels when wheel slip is detected. I'm not sure about the M35i versions, though.

My family's from western NC. The Putzer homestead is on US-129, just a few miles from The Tail of The Dragon. But, it's too cold there in the winter for me, and I don't want to buy the NC state government a new BMW or two by paying state income tax on our 401(k) distributions. So, we're moving to the Tennessee side of the mountains and staying in the foothills.

Eric Rudolph, the Atlanta bomber, worked part time on the Putzer homestead. He was probably hiding under that porch for a while. The FBI and ATF would storm in on the Putzers still living there for several years, looking for Rudolph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	putzer homestead mit m3.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	899065  
Old 07-02-2020, 04:42 PM
Once Red

NC foothills

What a history. Hope no family members were injured during a raid from stormtroopers. I remember reading about the Rudolf guy. He really went to the ground for months, nobody could catch him. I don't remember how it happened, but he was caught.
I'm looking at a RWD nd FWD tomorrow for comparison.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
What a history. Hope no family members were injured during a raid from stormtroopers. I remember reading about the Rudolf guy. He really went to the ground for months, nobody could catch him. I don't remember how it happened, but he was caught.
I'm looking at a RWD nd FWD tomorrow for comparison.
He was supposed to be some great "mountain man," able to live off the land, bla, bla, bla... But, they caught him dumpster diving behind a grocery store.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:19 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: e39, e60, f25
personal opinion

awd bmw's dont drive at all like Bmw's

bmw have been and always shall be REAR WHEEL DRIVE...

the allwheel drives feel bulky and clunky,

you should have no problem in the rain or even snow with a RWd, ive been ripping bmw's as winter cars for years... Its always fun to see the look on peoples face's when you drift by them in your pos bmw thats suppose to not be able to go in the snow...

15486372<-----
Old 07-03-2020, 01:46 AM
Once Red

thanks

going to drive awd and rwd today for reference
Old 07-03-2020, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 06 525xi Monaco Blue
Charlotte here previously from WI. When it does snow here it's melted by noon. Ice is the major problem if it does happen(rarely). When snow is forecasted(it's not snowed yet) the schools are immediately closed and everyone runs to the grocery store and buys all the bread and milk as if this will be a Donner Party situation(it never is).

Basically you shouldn't go out on the roads here until it's melted if it snows. And we really only get a couple of snowfalls a year. The most I've seen in 5 years here was 4 inches and that closed the public schools for 3 days.

And yes, coming from WI it gives us some good laughs. However, you have to recognize they don't have the snow removal and salting equipment here. It's simply not needed. They have started brining the roads before snowfalls here. So they are getting better.

RWD should be fine here if snow is what you are worried about. Because snow is not a concern I've never seen more Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, Ferraris, Aston Martins, Lamborghinis and all manner of RWD cars out on the road in my life.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:59 AM
Once Red

X3 RWD owner-Happy Independence Day

I drove both styles yesterday, and went with the RWD. A bit less $ than AWD, but also less potential problems/parts to need repairs. Thx 235301 and Burning2nd. Looks like the factory went to the parts room and put everything on that fit. Not sure if I'll need many items, but glad they're there if I ever sell it. Details in a few days after I pick it up, but basic: Deep Sea blue, Harman/Kardon radio, 19" GY Runflats(taking off for standard non-rft)Saddle brown seats, off lease. I'm sure I missed things
Thanks for comments. Please be safe during pandemic. Everyone's actions affect someone else's(as in regular life). And please enjoy our nations independence in a good way. Remember those who helped form the Constitution,, live it, and enforce it when necessary.
Now; who has a 19" space saver spare laying around........

Last edited by CymruNC; 07-04-2020 at 04:04 AM. Reason: spare
Old 07-04-2020, 05:13 AM

Quote:
I drove both styles yesterday, and went with the RWD. A bit less $ than AWD, but also less potential problems/parts to need repairs. Thx 235301 and Burning2nd. Looks like the factory went to the parts room and put everything on that fit. Not sure if I'll need many items, but glad they're there if I ever sell it. Details in a few days after I pick it up, but basic: Deep Sea blue, Harman/Kardon radio, 19" GY Runflats(taking off for standard non-rft)Saddle brown seats, off lease. I'm sure I missed things
Thanks for comments. Please be safe during pandemic. Everyone's actions affect someone else's(as in regular life). And please enjoy our nations independence in a good way. Remember those who helped form the Constitution,, live it, and enforce it when necessary.
Now; who has a 19" space saver spare laying around..........
Here's a link to a temporary spare. The alloy rim is lighter, but more expensive. But, they're on sale. Don't forget a BMW jack, too.

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-F25-X3...ergency_Spare/

Tires are perishable. I had an eight year old donut fail the first time I tried to drive on it. So, I now replace my donuts every six years. If you pay more for an outside wheel and tire, you don't end up with an unsafe, overage spare tire and or sending a completely unused tire to the landfill. The downside is that a full size tire is ~10" wide, where a spare is ~5" wide, hogging up less of the cargo volume.

BMW owners' manuals for older cars/SUV's often say "BMW does not recommend rotating tires." That has a different meaning that "BMW recommends not rotating tires." Also, they've changed their minds on this. The newer BMW owners' manuals conceded that rotating tires will extend their lives.

If you decide to get a full size spare, think about getting a matching outside wheel and tire when you ditch the run-flats. With a matching, full-size spare you can do a five-tire rotation pattern. That will make a set of 40k-mile tires last 50k miles. If getting that extra 10k miles out of a set of tires lets you avoid buyinig another set of tires, you'll be money ahead.
(My goal is to always sell my cars with either worn or almost worn out tires.)

Last edited by Autoputzer; 07-04-2020 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:25 AM
Once Red

Thx Autoputzer-Spare

Good advice on age of spare tires. I findmany friends of older vehicles have 8-10y/o dated spares on second and 3rd line cars in family use. And rarely check air pressure even in 2-5 y/o cars used in everyday use. Many of the Jeepers that have hang-on spare don't realize sidewalls are cracked, or no pressure. I think NHTSA suggests discarding tires 10 years and older.
Thx for spare lead too.

slainte'

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search