Do you get attention and compliments?? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Another day in Paradise

Send a message via Yahoo to gokartmozart
Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 M Coupe - LM08697
Funny, the only strangers who have came up to me and voiced admiration were young women. Being a happily married man, I usually say "Yeah, my wife loves it too!"... they never see me sweat!

2008 Z4 M Coupe (Alpine White/Imola Red/Carbon Leather) - CDV delete, stubby antenna
2005 530i (Silver Gray/Black The wife's Daily Driver
)
2003 Z4 3.0 (given to son)
1993 525iT (gone), 1993 325i (gone), 1983 320i (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2009, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
I've actually got quite a few compliments since PICKING THE CAR UP this afternoon... Two Evo guys, a guy in an STi, one guy just walking in the parking lot, a 'vette guy, and a guy in a 964.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d / 2011 335i
Yep, all the time. Its a giggle when you consider what its worth, the older Z4s are in civic money territory. I guess its just a striking car and most people appreciate a 2 seater, its a dreamy/freedom/wind in the hair thing I guess. Ofcourse a good color combo like gray on black (!), and always spotlessly detailed makes it pretty hard not to notice!
1991 VW T3 Caravelle Syncro (South Africa - RHD)

Gone but not forgotten
2012 X5 35d ZAP; 2011 335i M-Sport 6MT;
2008 M5 6MT; 2004 545i ZSP; 2003 Z4 2.5i 5MT ZSP;
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD; 1996 Mercedes C220 Classic; 1996 VW T3 Caravelle 2.6i ; 1995 VW Jetta III CLX ; 1989 VW Jetta II CLI exec ; 1961 Auto Union (DKW) 1000S
Old 07-25-2009, 08:26 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A-220K-traded
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpire View Post
I had to put very dark tint on my wife's Z because she got a few too many thumbs up and compliments.
To each his own.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: 96 Z3 08 Mini Clubman S
My car starts rumours too!

I was talking with a friend at work this week, somehow the conversation shifted to my Z, (I just got her this spring). She said that yeah she'd heard about it from someone else who knew I must have gotten a big raise 'cuase that car cost 40K. Someone else questioned that price as too high as they knew I'd acquired it used. The response was no, they're 60k new.

I love my car but I'd prefer the raise that would enable me to just go out and spend $40,000 on a car.

Last edited by Scubapiper; 07-26-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: '07 X3, '03 Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwulffusa View Post
Yep, all the time. Its a giggle when you consider what its worth, the older Z4s are in civic money territory. e!
Most people are surprised that mine is an '03----because this model generation has looked the same for 6 years. The '03's are a bargain and mine has been super reliable. A good detail job makes our 6 year old Z's look new..and its fun.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:17 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Dinan 3, Z4M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubapiper View Post
Ever been to Stone Mountain Games? Hope to make it down there sometime to compete.
When I first moved here I went one time to see what American Highland Games were like. It was a little different from say Braemar, to say the least. Pipers are good here. My aunt used to work at Sabhal Mor Ostaig on Skye so I've heard the best....

'03 Ford Explorer "the big girl"
'6 330i "the Major"
'06 Z4M Coupe "Strider"
'07 Dinan 3 "little blackie"
Old 07-26-2009, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 96 Z3 08 Mini Clubman S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dug01 View Post
Most people are surprised that mine is an '03----because this model generation has looked the same for 6 years. The '03's are a bargain and mine has been super reliable. A good detail job makes our 6 year old Z's look new..and its fun.
Mines a '96 and still looks great. Will look even better when I take care of the few small paint chips on the front.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Old Timer

Mein Auto: 2017 LSB F80 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpire View Post
The NSX definitely gets more looks, but the coupe leaves it like its got the parking brake engaged.

The NSX stereo is a nightmare to upgrade/replace and there are all kinds of things that need fixing.

However, so far so good.
The thing I hated the most about the NSX is/was that it reminded me of a Honda Accord on the inside. Not a great feeling for spending the extra $$$ for a "super car".
Old 07-28-2009, 08:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Llave
Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 & 93 Civic
yesterday when I was at the downtown area parking area this woman came up to me and said "nice car" and I thanked her. She was i think in her 40's. Yay MILFS FTW!
Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
Yes, I get thumbs up and people yelling nice car!!
Old 07-28-2009, 09:09 AM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
Got all kinds of complements on my '01 Z3 3.0 roadster. When I lent the Z3 to a friend (and fellow bimmer nut), he was frustrated at how many complements he got. He called my Z3 "old n' busted", because it wasn't his new '04 330i. That was sweet revenge

I've only had the Z4M for two weeks, and I've received several comments. Met some of my neighbors for the first time at a block party. Every one of them said "oh! you're the hot car guy!". Last weekend I was on a military base at the commissary. When I came out, there was a family of four sitting in their car eating a quick dinner. The dad said they parked right next to mine so they'd have some scenery while eating.

But in the end, I didn't buy my car for others to oogle. I bought it because I enjoy it
Old 07-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Meinkugelschmerzen

Mein Auto: 1983 320i 1998 540i Sport
I am always getting compliments and drawn into conversation because of this car. I have yet to hear a negative comment. We just came back from four days driving through the back roads of Virginia and visiting some of the historic sights around Charlottesville. This is a fantastic car for those back country roads. There were no fewer than 4 Zed cars visiting Montpelier on Saturdaywhile we were there. A green Z3, another Merlot Red Z4 (like ours, but tan/tan) and a silver Z4.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Autofabricationilizer !

Mein Auto: BMW's,Syclone,Turbo Datsu
I thought of this thread last week when this occured.......a pretty brunette in a late model Miata cruises up beside me on the highway....and words>" THATS A FLIPPIN GORGEOUS CAR"...her mouth just hanging open,lol.

I laughed and waved to her. She was all around me in traffic for miles...I felt stalked somewhat,lol.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
You know I get alot of snude remarks asking if my mommy and daddy bought the beemer for me when I'm filling up too. When they ask me that I tell them actually the reason I drive a Z4 is because i was forced to be financially independent from a young age, and because of that I have worked for tons of nice things by a young age(20). Of course, you could NEVER tell I got this car for only $15k! I feel like a robbed a bank. Love the Zed4!
Old 07-28-2009, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Z4, 77 Porsche, 11 528
Rare indeed

On at least a dozen occassions, I have walked up to my Z4 Coupe and found people walking around it and admiring it. Even BMW owners often ask what it is. In the two years I have owned it, I have only seen two other coupes on the road. Of course, we flashed and waived, especially since one was identical to mine. All this in a metro area of 2mil people. Maybe I should get out more...
Old 07-28-2009, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: z4 2.5i roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
But in the end, I didn't buy my car for others to oogle. I bought it because I enjoy it
Yeah, You bought it so you could oogle at it! God damn people!
Old 07-28-2009, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
I get thumbs up and comments all the time too. I love the car and am glad that others seem to appreciate it. The other day I gave a co-worker a ride home and he couldn't believe how fun it was just to ride in the car. He said "Ahh, that's why you like these little Bimmers so much!". My wife and Daughter convinced me to get a convertible several years ago (a 328i) and I've been in love with open top driving ever since. The Z, being such a nimble car, only heightens the open air experience. The car is such a blast to drive, the look on the driver's face is infectious and people can't help but to smile back at you.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto:
A couple weeks ago a guy in a GT3 RS gave me a thumbs up. I had a stupid grin on my face all day after that.

At the tire place a month ago, I was waiting for them to load up my Z4MC, and nobody seemed to care. Then an old dude who wouldn't know a wrench from a piece of tree bark shows up in a yellow elise and all the employees gathered around to gawk. Earlier that year, I got my smog check, the test guy was like 'for a second I thought you had a lotus, oh well'. .

Driving around San Diego I've had quite a few interesting encounters, too many to count. Several times I've gotten people giving me the shaka while driving. Almost every BMW motorcycle that's driven by has reacted with a thumbs up. Lots of people have filmed and taken photos.

A lot of children seem to take interest in my car now that I have this on it:

Speaking of children, every god damned evo that drives by tries to egg me on to race.

What always amused the crap out of me though are the people who stare, then quickly look away when I turn my head... like as if it's rude to look or something?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:26 AM
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to ///McQ Send a message via Yahoo to ///McQ
Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster
My M Roadie broke down with a bad thermostat, in a tiny little town, 100 miles from home, and the closest BMW shop. While waiting for a flatbed (also from 100 miles away), we hung out at a convenience store, for about 5 hours, total. We drew quite a crowd, including the local sheriff, three hog hunters, a young ricer, and several shade-tree mechanics. They all asked questions about the car, commented on it, offered diagnostic advice, and several kept us company, until the tow truck came. The sheriff lent us jackets, and stayed even after his shift was up, just to make sure things turned out okay. I guess we were entertainment, to such a small town, and they made a long, cold night tolerable. I wonder if our reception would have been different, in a more common-place car.

Matador, Texas....great folk.

2000 M Roadster
1993 Miata
1999 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Old 07-29-2009, 06:40 AM

I once had a kid in a Camry 4 door With the Autozone tin can muffler follow me (very closely) trying to engage me in some spirited driving--I just cruised 5 over the speed limit much to his displeasure. At the traffic light he yelled over "Is that your Wifes car?" (she was with me)--I said yes, Is that your Grandfathers car?--Judging By the way he drove away I think he was Pi$$ed... Ha Ha too bad. The "Rice Racers" Don't have a clue.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:29 AM
Still Cruisin'

Mein Auto: 2003 325xi, 2001 Z3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dug01 View Post
I once had a kid in a Camry 4 door With the Autozone tin can muffler follow me (very closely) trying to engage me in some spirited driving--I just cruised 5 over the speed limit much to his displeasure. At the traffic light he yelled over "Is that your Wifes car?" (she was with me)--I said yes, Is that your Grandfathers car?--Judging By the way he drove away I think he was Pi$$ed... Ha Ha too bad. The "Rice Racers" Don't have a clue.
Commonly known as a "fart muffler"

I've had a few of them act like they want to drag me, and mine is just a 3.0 Z3, not an M. Doesn't seem to matter to them.

I just laugh at them and tell them with age comes wisdom, and that includes what you want to pay in insurance premiums.

I get compliments here and there, but Z3s are not as common around here as in some areas. In LA this car is just dime a dozen.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
In LA this car is just dime a dozen.
Doesn't make it any less fun to us owners/drivers!
Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubapiper View Post
Back in the early days when the BMW's you'd see were 2002's, Bavarias, 3.0 CS's etc. we all used to flash our lights at each other. Haven't had anybody to that to me in years, though the '73 2002 is currently out of service.
We were waved at by a plum Z4, that color is so rare!!
Old 07-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingdog View Post
I tend to wave to anyone who's driving a convertible. My attitude is that if you're driving a convertible you're probably proud of your baby. Saw a beautiful 'vette convertible the other day. Don't know the year but I'm guessing late 60's by the shape. Gave the thumbs up and got the same in return.
I do that too; its amazing how many people drive with the top up on a nice day.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search