2003 2.5i noob questions - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Llave
Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 & 93 Civic
2003 2.5i noob questions

Sorry, but I tried to search 3 different forums and other outlets but I can't seem to find some of the answers I was looking for. Just have some questions.

1)Burning Smell?
I drive my car once or twice a month, when I do it sometimes smells like it is burning after driving. I changed the oil late March and hasn't driven much after that. I thought it was excess oil or a small oil spill that is burning off but it wont go away. I thought the coolant was low but i just put more in.

2) Reset Service?
I tried the guru's tutorials, looked in the manuals and everything but the thing wont reset. If someone can simplify it for me or make a short YouTube tutorial then that would be great.

3) Brakes?
Again since I don't drive my car before I drive when I reverse and hit tap on the brakes it makes a screeching noise. I'm guessing the fluids need to move around after settling since after driving 15 minutes or so It goes away. But I am changing the pads and oil drain.

4)Side Mirror?
Does anyone have an extra driver side mirror or know a cheap place to get one? Some biker or car hit my driver side mirror and now it's dangling by it's wiring. Everything is still perfect, the housing, the mirror the wires. I just need the skeleton of it.

5) Picture Frame Adhesive?
Anyone used this to put up their license plate because they didn't want the plate drilled on the front end? I was thinking of using the Picture Frame Adhesive to temporarily place my license plate when I go to SoCal since I heard cops there are more anal about it than here in NorCal. i wanna know if it holds up fine.

6)Restoring headlights?
My headlights are kind of fogged up and I want it to be restored. Anyone know a good method of doing it? Also i want brighter headlights if someone can post something that is really good brand please let me know.

I will post more questions when I figure some more stuff out. Thanks in Advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
Where are the replies to these questions? I just bought a 03 Z4 and have been looking for a cowl cover (rubber at bottom of windshield) diy replacement. A burning smell is part of the deteriorating rubber problem of either the cowl cover or the piece below in the engine area. I have seen postings well explained on other BMWs but none on Z4 or Z3. A main point was the gear puller for the wiper arms cap. The point I am unsure of is when buying the cowl cover part it says gasket sealer not included. I have no idea what that means unless the rubber part is sealed to windshield with a gasket sealer.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: '03 2.5L Z4
http://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15283
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 97 Z3 1.9 - RIP 12/10/12
The 3M kit is excellent, if you don't mind using a drill that close to your paint. I used the Rain-X kit on my Z, which doesn't require a drill. It's a lot slower to do it by hand, but it works well as long as your lenses aren't too far gone.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: M Coupe
1 and 3

I don't know what it is, but I think the burning smell after you haven't driven the car after a while is normal. I recall this happening in all of my cars that have not been driven for a week or so.

After not driving for a while, the brake rotors will also oxidize. This oxidation can cause some unpleasant squeeching sound when you first brake. The sound should go away after you brake a couple of times. Of course, it could also be something else, but the symptoms you tell us (it goes away after 15 min or so) leads me to believe it's just the oxidation.

Good luck.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search