Pawarrant's third ED thread - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 03-05-2018, 09:28 PM
SECDEF

Mein Auto: 2020 X3
Pawarrant's third ED thread

Ok it is time to get this started. I will be placing my order for my third ED with my CA at Bobby Rahal BMW on April 1st to reserve my September delivery date during the opening weekend of Oktoberfest again.

On my first ED, I went from Munich to Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, Mittenwald, Stelvio Pass, Lake Como, and Fussen and back to Munich for drop off. On my second ED, I went from Munich to Fussen, Lindau & Bergenz, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Nuremberg, Heidelberg, Cologne, Brugges, and Amsterdam for drop off. This time, I want to head south into Italy and drop off in Nice.

Below is the tentative itinerary I have been working on. Tentative, in that each ED so far I have employed the suggestions of those of you on this forum to tweak it to the final itinerary I end up booking. Each ED so far has been beyond a success and have been epic adventures. To give you a better idea of what I like to help with your input you can check out my reports from my last two EDs in my signature. Basically, I enjoy checking out the historical sites and love trying amazing restaurants and experiencing the local culture. Nightlife is a plus as well. As in the past, I'm looking for input on things to do or see, hotel and restaurant recommendations. If my itinerary can be improved in any way, I'm up for suggestions. I just can not extend the trip any more days. I could shorten it though.

Wednesday September 19 – depart LAS via PHL on AA using miles for business class

Thursday September 20 – arrive Munich

Accommodations: undecided

Friday September 21 – Munich - BMW delivery, Munich sites

Saturday September 22 – Munich – Oktoberfest parade

Sunday September 23 – Munich – Oktoberfest tent in evening

Monday September 24 – drive to Schwangau (1.75 hours) for obligatory Castle photo, drive to Zugspitze (1 hour) (If weather is bad drive to Innsbruck instead for lunch) , drive to Merano, Italy (3.25 hours)

Accommodations: Meisters Irma Hotel

Tuesday September 25 – Merano

Wednesday September 26 – drive to Venice (3 Hours) (ditch car outside of the city in garage and train in to city)

Thursday September 27 – Venice

Friday September 28 – Venice

Saturday September 29 – drive to Florence (3 hours)

Sunday September 30 – Florence

Monday October 1 – Florence

Tuesday October 2 – drive to Cinque Terre (La Spezia) (2 hours)

Wednesday October 3 - Cinque Terre

Thursday October 4 - Cinque Terre

Friday October 5 – drive to Nice (3.5 hours) (must drop off car)

Saturday October 6 – Nice (day trip to Eze and Monaco)

Sunday October 7 – Nice

Monday October 8 – depart NCE via LHR on BA to arrive home in LAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 06:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '16 535xi
Here are a few suggestions.

Vienna: Consider staying in the The Ring Hotel. We liked it. Fairly modern, nice, helpful staff and not too expensive. It is located near the Opera and the Hofburg Palace. So it's also near Demels and the Sacher if you are "into" pastry.

Nice: I would not dump your car on arrival. Eze is easily reached by car, although the village is pedestrian only. The view is spectacular. Monaco is also aeasily reached by car and it has extensive underground parking.

While in Nice you might also consider visiting Arles. It's about a 3 hour drive from Nice. Arles has a well preserved Roman Amphitheater. Another place that is easy to reach by car is St. Tropez - mostly yachts and beaches.

The three Corniches are also worth a drive just to say you've done it/them. The lowest will take you through all the towns along the coast, while the middle offers the best views and the top is the quickest way to get from one end to the other.

I enjoyed your ED travelogues and especially your photos. Looking forward to seeing this year's trip write up.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:25 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2017 540xi
Florence- awesome place, terrifying to drive in the city.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011
2013 X3 35i, Old Fashioned Dealer Delivery, July 2012
2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014
2017 540xi, Old Fashioned Dealer Delivery, July 2017

BMWCCA #350568
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 325
I will look forward to your trip report, I may follow part of your itinerary, at least to Vienna and Tuscany. Will try to help a little, it has been 15 years since I was last in Tuscany.

Florence, very busy city, lots of diesel smoke. I'm not really into museums, of which there a lot, but I did have a nice day walking around the city. Not sure I would stay there and parking outside of the wall was interesting.

Castellina in Chianti, this is where I stayed the whole time I was in Tuscany, I don't think the guest house I stayed in is still in operation. Great town to visit, even if you don't stay here.

Sienna, liked this a lot more than Florence, would recommend spending a day here. Great ancient city.

Dievole Winery, they had a shop in Castellina in Chianti, not sure if they still do. Did a nice tour here. Also did a BBQ at the winery one night, great time, fantastic food grill over giant wood fires. I brought several bottles of wine home from here, and I'm not a wine guy. Also the best olive oil I've ever tasted, brought some of that home too.
https://www.dievole.it/en/

Volpaia, did a tasting here, great little hill top town, everyone in the town works at the winery. Well worth a visit, wine and olive oil was a little on the expensive side. Stopped in Radda in Chianti for lunch on the way, nice little town.
https://www.volpaia.info/

San Gimignano, must see town. Really stands out in my memory.
http://www.sangimignano.com/en/

We did do one bus tour, a loop just south of Sienna. I only really remember two of the towns, not sure you will get that far south, but it may be worth a loop. Pienza, really nice town, but what I remember most is the cheese shop. Had a few small wheels of cheese vacuum packed to take home.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...a_Tuscany.html
I also remember Bagno Vignoni, we had lunch in a cafe overlooking the hot springs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagno_Vignoni
Other towns on that loop that sound familiar, but I don't specifically remember are
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montepulciano
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montalcino

This will give you the idea
http://www.florenceprivatetoursyourw...oni-3-Day.html

Can't recall anything else right now, but I will post if I remember any more. Sorry we will miss you, you will be on your way to Vienna when I arrive in Munich.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:43 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Looks good. Highly suggest you stay outside of Florence and take the train in. I wouldn't drive there ever.

Also recommend you get reservations to park the car in Venice ahead of time. When we went there ten years ago, if you didn't have reservations you didn't get a spot. May have changed.
2014 BMW M5
Retired Bimmers:
2014 BMW i3
2013 BMW 550
2009 BMW 335
Old 03-06-2018, 11:02 AM

I would not recommend driving in Florence either - but I did. I stayed in the Hotel Silla which is an easy walk to the Uffisi Gallery and close to pretty much everything else in Florence that you might want to see. I was allowed to leave my car beside a small park that was close to the hotel. If I had been a Bimmerfester back then I would have known better than to drive in Florence, but I was not even aware of Bimmerfest back then. Any way I drove to the hotel and they found me this spot to leave my car. As it happened the car was a rental (not ED) and I didn't worry about what I had just done, and it all worked out just fine.

Hotel Silla serves breakfast on an upper deck with a view of the River Arno and the city. My wife remembers the breakfast as not being that great but the view obviously colored my memory as I thought it was OK. If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive hotel that is well placed for seeing the sights, and you are not concerned about the parking arrangements you might take a look at the Silla. Also the hotel may be able to offer more secure parking if you contact them!
Old 03-06-2018, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
I remember more than few Bimmerfest members stay in Hotel Golf in Florence. It has private parking.

Viale Fratelli Rosselli, 56, 50123 Firenze FI, Italy
hotelgolf.it
+39 055 281818

map

instead of Nice - stay in VILLEFRANCH-SUR-MER or Cap-d'Ail.
Search this forum for this two places.

'18 330i Mediterranean Blue Metallic / Cognac/Dark Brown / Sport Line

Last edited by MB330; 03-06-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:50 AM
SECDEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post
Here are a few suggestions.

Vienna: Consider staying in the The Ring Hotel. We liked it. Fairly modern, nice, helpful staff and not too expensive. It is located near the Opera and the Hofburg Palace. So it's also near Demels and the Sacher if you are "into" pastry.

Nice: I would not dump your car on arrival. Eze is easily reached by car, although the village is pedestrian only. The view is spectacular. Monaco is also aeasily reached by car and it has extensive underground parking.
I was in Vienna on my first ED. I'm doing Venice this one. As far as dumping the car on arrival to Nice, the only reason is I will be at 14 days. I think BMW only pays for 14 days of insurance now? I'm not sure because I never went over 14 days. Thanks for the other suggestions. How far are the three Corniches from Nice?
Old 03-06-2018, 11:53 AM
SECDEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconley3 View Post
Florence, very busy city, lots of diesel smoke. I'm not really into museums, of which there a lot, but I did have a nice day walking around the city. Not sure I would stay there and parking outside of the wall was interesting..
Thank you and Me530, MB330, AggieKnight and Trinity for the info about Florence. I could substitute staying somewhere else. Definitely look into those suggestions. Maybe just a stop through of Florence?
Old 03-06-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawarrant View Post
How far are the three Corniches from Nice?
The three Corniches run more or less east to west from approximately cannes to Menton. The Lower Corniche is the road that is right on the the coast and goes through Nice and most of the other cities on the French Riviera. The Middle Corniche and the Upper either go through Nice and most of the other Riviera cities or come awfully close - with the Middle Corniche being a mile or two north of the Lower, and the Upper Corniche being a mile or two north of the Middle Corniche.

Youtube has several videos of the Corniches here:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rniches+france

and Rick Steves has one of his travelogues of the Riviera here:

My personal choice, if you have time for only two of the Corniches, would be to do the Lower and the Middle. I think the Middle has the best views while the Lower takes you through all the "action". The Upper is just another fast road!
Old 03-06-2018, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW X1 Xdrive
On your way from Innsbruck to Merano I highly recommend detouring for a stop in Bressanone/Brixen, Italy. The town has been Austrian at times, Italian at other times. Hence the two names. The pedestrian-only Old Town is interesting and picturesque. It was an important Medieval trading town because of the salt trade between Italy and Austria.

P1050387

P1050414

P1050382

And I second stopping in San Gimignano in Tuscany. Best gelato in the world.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red) RETIRED
2015 MINI Cooper Convertible (blue) RETIRED
2015 BMW X1 X Drive (blue) RETIRED
2018 BMW X1 X Drive (black)
Old 03-06-2018, 01:11 PM

[QUOTE=pawarrant;I could substitute staying somewhere else. Definitely look into those suggestions. Maybe just a stop through of Florence?[/QUOTE]

You could probably see most of the architecture and all of the Uffisi gallery in one full day - but it would be a really full day. If you decide to skip Florence you might consider Tuscany or Provence as alternatives. Either would fit into your itinerary reasonably well.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:26 PM

I did enjoy my day in Florence, but I have to say I'm just not a city person. The only exception I've found is Munich. I do love Munich. Perhaps you could stay close, hit Florence one day and if you feel it warrants another day leave some flexibility. I personally liked Sienna better, but that is just a personal preference.

Quote:
Thank you and Me530, MB330, AggieKnight and Trinity for the info about Florence. I could substitute staying somewhere else. Definitely look into those suggestions. Maybe just a stop through of Florence?
Old 03-06-2018, 01:31 PM

Second the gelato, it is one of the things I remember most from San Gimignano other than the towers an trying to park. There is a electronic car park, you have to wait in line for other people to leave before you can get in when it is full. That may have changed in the last 15 years...

Bressanone/Brixen sounds interesting, making a note...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluhwein View Post
On your way from Innsbruck to Merano I highly recommend detouring for a stop in Bressanone/Brixen, Italy. The town has been Austrian at times, Italian at other times. Hence the two names. The pedestrian-only Old Town is interesting and picturesque. It was an important Medieval trading town because of the salt trade between Italy and Austria.

P1050387

P1050414

P1050382

And I second stopping in San Gimignano in Tuscany. Best gelato in the world.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:43 PM
Don't be a left lane hog

Mein Auto: M2
Florence is a special city worth spending several days. But if you're not into museums or old buildings, then just stop for 1 day to check your bucket list. The area around Florence is fantastic and having a car is a great way to see it all. Check out the different hill towns that you can visit like San Gimignano, and Volterra, and bigger towns like Siena and Lucca.
E61 535xi ED Aug 31 2007- ED Report--N. Italy
E90 330i ED June 26 2006- ED Trip Report

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"- George Carlin
Old 03-06-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
maybe this post will help you - https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1235849

Old 03-06-2018, 02:17 PM
Happily Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluhwein View Post

And I second stopping in San Gimignano in Tuscany.
I third that.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i

BMWCCA #350568
Old 03-06-2018, 02:19 PM
Happily Driving

Oh yes, I notice Merano on your list. I love it there, a great town. Well worth a visit. They have an excellent botanic garden there. https://www.trauttmansdorff.it/en/th...ff-castle.html

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i

BMWCCA #350568
Old 03-06-2018, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 18 M4 ZCP Cabrio & 18 X5M
Regarding Firenze, book your David and Uffizi tickets online now. I was recently there in January 2018, and reservations were required for Ibizaswife (I passed since I have seen all the sites many times before and had the flu). Don’t recommend the St Regis Florence to stay at either, butler service is not like the US properties.

Try Villa Cora or Il Salviatino.

Plenty of winery’s in the Chianti region, thus why I would stay outside the city and explore with you BMW. Recently visited San Michele a Touri (Scandicci). Banfi has a great lunch and can be booked in advance.

One can spend weeks in the Tuscany region, it’s what your interests are.
2015 X5 50i M PCD 10/14-Rtd
2015 435 Cabrio M ED 9/14-Rtd
2011 X3 35i M PCD 6/11- Rtd
2011 335is Cabrio ED 9/2010-PCD 12/10-Rtd
2007 X3is PCD 1/07-Rtd
2007 335i Cabrio PCD 6/07-Rtd
2004 328i Cabrio PCD 3/04-Rtd
BMW Driving Experience Tracks:
Arjeplog Ice Training 2019
Nordschleife 2012 & 2018
Intensive Training for Professional Drivers 2017
Hockenheimring 2014
Advanced M VIR 2011
BMWCCA
Old 03-06-2018, 10:11 PM
SECDEF

Great stuff so far! Thank you everyone! Bressanone/Brixen looks interesting. That may be a lunch stop now on the way from the Castle photo to Merano instead of Innsbruck? I think I may heed many of your suggestions and just do a day in Florence to hit the main museums and check it off the list. What about a day in Siena instead of the extra day in Florence? On the way from Siena to Cinque Terre a lunch stop in San Gimignano and a photo stop in Pisa?
Old 03-07-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
I think I may heed many of your suggestions and just do a day in Florence to hit the main museums and check it off the list. What about a day in Siena instead of the extra day in Florence? On the way from Siena to Cinque Terre a lunch stop in San Gimignano and a photo stop in Pisa?
While you are in the Pisa area I would take a quick look at Lucca. Lucca has one of the best preserved Renaissance walls. It's also the birthplace of Puccini. An hour or two will probably be enough to get a quick look.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post
While you are in the Pisa area I would take a quick look at Lucca. Lucca has one of the best preserved Renaissance walls. It's also the birthplace of Puccini. An hour or two will probably be enough to get a quick look.
+1 for Luca! park your new car, rent a bike and drive around city on bike!

Old 03-07-2018, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW X1 Xdrive
San Gimignano is mostly about the Old Town within the city walls. Definitely doable in half a day. Besides the gelato, there are numerous shops offering free wine tastings and wild boar sausage and jerky tastings. The farmer's market is also a lot of fun.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red) RETIRED
2015 MINI Cooper Convertible (blue) RETIRED
2015 BMW X1 X Drive (blue) RETIRED
2018 BMW X1 X Drive (black)
Old 03-08-2018, 10:05 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Florence is a special city worth spending several days. But if you're not into museums or old buildings, then just stop for 1 day to check your bucket list. The area around Florence is fantastic and having a car is a great way to see it all. Check out the different hill towns that you can visit like San Gimignano, and Volterra, and bigger towns like Siena and Lucca.
Just to be clear - I'm not suggesting against visiting Florence, like Astroid I'm saying do go there. Just...don't take your car in!

When we visited, we stayed at a villa near Figlene and took the train into Florence for the two days we were there (two more days exploring countryside). Train was ~30 minutes each way.
2014 BMW M5
Retired Bimmers:
2014 BMW i3
2013 BMW 550
2009 BMW 335
Old 03-08-2018, 10:18 AM
Aviator

Mein Auto: cars with studded tires
As others have said, don't drive into Firenze! We always stay in Artimino and take the train into town. This hotel is highly recommended, as it's high zoot and low cost. Great location for day trips to Pisa, Sienna, Tuscan countryside, Firenze, etc.

http://www.artimino.com/en/hospitali...ggeria-medicea

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search