Front License Plate Mount = No Sale? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:10 AM
Tommy Gun Angel

Mein Auto: 2005 330i ZHP, Two Pedals
Front License Plate Mount = No Sale?

In narrowing down my list of Z4M Coupes to consider purchasing out of state, I find myself crossing cars off the list that have had the front bumper drilled for the license plate bracket. In Texas you're supposed to have a front license plate, but I've never had one, and my aversion to them is partly aesthetic and partly political.

I did some research on other forums, and this seemingly trivial topic seems highly divisive, with some people refusing to take delivery of cars that had the front bumper drilled against their explicit, written instructions, and other people aghast that someone would use such a trivial criterion for rejecting a car, especially when it involved deliberately refusing to comply with state law.

Any opinions on the aesthetics and/or politics of having the front license plate bracket mounted on a Z4M Coupe?

Old 06-01-2010, 04:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: Z3, 528i, M5, X5, Jetta
It doesn't matter to me in the slightest anymore. I used to care about such things, but after several fines for not having a plate, the expense and inconvenience got in the way. Just put the plate on and drive.
2016 428xi coupe
2018 M2
Old 06-01-2010, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 Z4 35i- Estoril Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHB View Post
In narrowing down my list of Z4M Coupes to consider purchasing out of state, I find myself crossing cars off the list that have had the front bumper drilled for the license plate bracket. In Texas you're supposed to have a front license plate, but I've never had one, and my aversion to them is partly aesthetic and partly political.

I did some research on other forums, and this seemingly trivial topic seems highly divisive, with some people refusing to take delivery of cars that had the front bumper drilled against their explicit, written instructions, and other people aghast that someone would use such a trivial criterion for rejecting a car, especially when it involved deliberately refusing to comply with state law.

Any opinions on the aesthetics and/or politics of having the front license plate bracket mounted on a Z4M Coupe?
Put me in this camp bolded above. My first Z, we decided to abide by the law and get it drilled after about a year and several warnings. My current Z has not been drilled. You can buy colored plugs if the car you buy has already been drilled. To use this as criteria to reject a possible buy doesn't make sense to me. It's hard enough to find the Z4 MC that you want without this deal killer. Good luck.

ED July 2016 - Redelivered September 2016
35i Estoril Blue / Beige Kansas Leather, M Sport, Premium Sound
CWP, Technology Package, PDC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 05:17 AM
Official Bangle Hater

Mein Auto: '01 X5 4.4i, '00 M5
I guess it's up to you. Here in CT they are very strict about having a front plate. Most local town cops will pull you over if you are missing one. As much as I hate it, it's not worth the hassle of a ticket.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: Z4MC AW/IR
You should not be crossing those cars off. Getting a car that already has holes in the front bumper will relieve you of the guilt of drilling the holes. You can blame it on the previous owner and then drive around legally with a front license plate and a clear conscience. So I would consider those cars a plus, not a minus.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:29 AM
your average JAMF

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 M Coupé,'16 Golf R
Ridiculous to reject a car for this reason.

I understand people not wanting a front plate. But if it's the law in your state, why be a scofflaw? What's the point? How many high-end European cars do you see in Europe with no front plate? ZERO. It's the law, and they obey it. I have yet to see a single European whining about it. Completely different attitude. And some of the "solutions" available for mounting a plate temporarily so as not to drill one's precious bumper look absolutely hideous.

Just bolt on a plate and be done with it. If the plate is there, then it's no big deal that there are holes. If you move to a state later that doesn't require a plate (as I did 6 years ago), you can always tidy things up with a set of bumper plugs. Or put some cheeseball Dallas Cowboys front plate on it with a picture of Jerry Jones and a giant star.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:32 AM
DO IT YOURSELF.

Mein Auto: 98 M Roadster
You could always get those holes filled in when you get the bumper re-sprayed. I certainly wouldn't use that as a deciding factor in buying a used car. Now, if I had ordered the car new from the dealer, and it showed up drilled, against my instructions, I would make them replace the bumper before accepting delivery. That's a pretty significant difference in purchase price, though.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: '07 X3, '03 Z4
If you are buying a used Z4 chances the front bumper needs refinishing..negotiate this in the selling price and then do this after the holes are filled and painted
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...54&postcount=3
Old 06-01-2010, 09:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Llave
Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 & 93 Civic
what is weird is that here it supposed to be highly enforced but its not. I got my civic ticketed for the first after having no plate in the front for like 4 years and I have been driving my Z4 without a plate but no ticket. I asked one of my cop friends if cops cared for it and he said "only if the cop was bored he will pull you over." Also I guess here most of the luxury cars doesn't have the plates in the front so...yeah.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Tommy Gun Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Ridiculous to reject a car for this reason.

I understand people not wanting a front plate. But if it's the law in your state, why be a scofflaw? What's the point? How many high-end European cars do you see in Europe with no front plate? ZERO. It's the law, and they obey it. I have yet to see a single European whining about it. Completely different attitude. And some of the "solutions" available for mounting a plate temporarily so as not to drill one's precious bumper look absolutely hideous.

Just bolt on a plate and be done with it. If the plate is there, then it's no big deal that there are holes. If you move to a state later that doesn't require a plate (as I did 6 years ago), you can always tidy things up with a set of bumper plugs. Or put some cheeseball Dallas Cowboys front plate on it with a picture of Jerry Jones and a giant star.
The bolded text above explains the political diminesion. I'm not scoffing at the law, I'm flipping the law off. I miss the smell of tear gas in the morning. "The law is an ass," to quote Mr. Bumble in "Oliver Twist."
Old 06-01-2010, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: '07 X3, '03 Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llave View Post
what is weird is that here it supposed to be highly enforced but its not. I got my civic ticketed for the first after having no plate in the front for like 4 years and I have been driving my Z4 without a plate but no ticket. I asked one of my cop friends if cops cared for it and he said "only if the cop was bored he will pull you over." Also I guess here most of the luxury cars doesn't have the plates in the front so...yeah.
I have been driving my Z4 for 4 years with no front plate--pulled over twice once for expired inspection and nothing said about the plate--My other car nailed for no front plate and tinted windows ..
Old 06-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
This is akin to not wanting to have hot, meaningless sex with Scarlett Johanssen because she's not a virgin anymore. And this isn't Scarlett from "The Spirit" but the Scarlett from Iron Man 2. With the leather clad and all.

$120 for color matched bumper plugs. $500 for the bumper to be filled and repainted. $900 for a new bumper painted to match. I don't know why ANYONE would let that be a hang-up especially considering that finding an MZ4 Coupe without some front-end rash or driveway rash is like finding a needle in a haystack...Finding one in that condition PLUS no drilled bumpers? Good luck. I mean IF I really can't stand having hot, meaningless sex with SJ unless she's a virgin? There's also hymen reconstruction surgery as an option.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0i Sport
Just get the rash on the bumper fixed, fill the holes, and get a different bracket like the one from gominigo that uses the tow hook and enjoy the car.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:05 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '16 BMW 550i xDrive
I don't have a front plate on my current car and did not have one on my last car, despite the fact that it was required by law.

to address your questions:

Would I be upset if I ordered a new car and told them not to install the bracket but they did it anyways? Yes! I would be very upset that they did not do what I asked.

Would I turn down a clean used car because of it? No. At that point, I would not turn down a really nice 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. year old car because of something this silly. I have a say when I am buying a new car fresh from the factory, but I wouldn't let it bother me that much when buying a used car. Plus, like mentioned above, if it bothered me THAT much but the car was otherwise nice enough I could always pay to refinish or replace the bumper.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 06-01-2010, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0i
Not something to worry about here.

But not buying a car because it's drilled for a front plate????????????????

Now what I can't stand is those cheesy dealer plates they put on the front at some places.

If you want me to be a rolling advertisement, you have to pay me.

Last edited by Trajan; 06-01-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:29 PM

Send a message via MSN to RufusKing
Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
... If you want me to be a rolling advertisement, you have to pay me.
I totally agree. I wont even let them add their "Stick On" logos to the rear deck. I figure it is worth a cool 1000.00 USD and then i would keep it on for two years max.

2009 BMW Z4 sDrive 3.0i

I call her weezey

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster - Sold and I miss her.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
I live in Texas and have been driving around with a German Front License Plate for about a year now without a single warning.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4M Coupe IL Blue
I just bought a z4m, had plates on the front, and didn't think twice about it. Having spent months looking for a very clean car, I can tell you that the front plate didn't even cross my mind when I saw how perfect the car is otherwise. Not many z4m's out there, and fewer less that are in excellent condition.

my two cents.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Tommy Gun Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
This is akin to not wanting to have hot, meaningless sex with Scarlett Johanssen because she's not a virgin anymore. And this isn't Scarlett from "The Spirit" but the Scarlett from Iron Man 2. With the leather clad and all.

$120 for color matched bumper plugs. $500 for the bumper to be filled and repainted. $900 for a new bumper painted to match. I don't know why ANYONE would let that be a hang-up especially considering that finding an MZ4 Coupe without some front-end rash or driveway rash is like finding a needle in a haystack...Finding one in that condition PLUS no drilled bumpers? Good luck. I mean IF I really can't stand having hot, meaningless sex with SJ unless she's a virgin? There's also hymen reconstruction surgery as an option.
OK, I'm convinced, I'm being an ass, but I feel even worse about not even having the faintest idea who Scarlett Johanssen is, and worse still about not wanting to have meaningless sex with a woman clad in leather who was featured in a film called Iron Man 2. JHC, I must be getting old, but not so old that I don't long for a virgin bumper, among other things that have yet to be defiled.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:14 AM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4 3.0i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psygnosis View Post
Just get the rash on the bumper fixed, fill the holes, and get a different bracket like the one from gominigo that uses the tow hook and enjoy the car.
x2

When I bought my '07, no holes drilled (yet) for a plate mount, so I went that route. Looks good, doesn't damage the bumper, and eliminates one more trivial worry.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 07 Imola Red/Black MCoupe
Put me in the camp that considers front license plate holes as a damaged front bumper (much moreso than a little air dam rash). Flame on.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC, Porsche 928S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermy1304 View Post
I live in Texas and have been driving around with a German Front License Plate for about a year now without a single warning.
Why is a German front plate more acceptable than a State front plate?

EB
Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Tommy Gun Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
Put me in the camp that considers front license plate holes as a damaged front bumper (much moreso than a little air dam rash). Flame on.

Thank God somebody understands. It must be a Texas thing.

I remember when Texans were sporting bumper stickers that said "You can have my Roadie when you pry it from my cold, dead hand." For those of you who don't remember, a Roaidie is a beer you drink while you're driving, and it used to be legal in Texas to drink and drive as long as you weren't intoxicated, and I think you had to be blowing a .3 or so to be considered intoxitated. Those were the days. It isn't like that here anymore, but it should be.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebruder View Post
Why is a German front plate more acceptable than a State front plate?

EB
+1
I don't get that one at all.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 Z4 35i- Estoril Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHB View Post
Thank God somebody understands. It must be a Texas thing.

I remember when Texans were sporting bumper stickers that said "You can have my Roadie when you pry it from my cold, dead hand." For those of you who don't remember, a Roaidie is a beer you drink while you're driving, and it used to be legal in Texas to drink and drive as long as you weren't intoxicated, and I think you had to be blowing a .3 or so to be considered intoxitated. Those were the days. It isn't like that here anymore, but it should be.
You are giving Texans a bad name. Drinking while driving is a bad idea whose time is long gone. If you want to go back to the old days of drinking and driving, ride a horse.

One thing I have found is that bigger metro areas (Dallas and Houston) don't hassle you about the front plate. I guess they have bigger things to worry about. I drove through El Paso and rural Austin and got a warning each time. The wifey wants to put the plate on like we did on our first Z, but I have resisted the temptation on my new Z and my 5er.

ED July 2016 - Redelivered September 2016
35i Estoril Blue / Beige Kansas Leather, M Sport, Premium Sound
CWP, Technology Package, PDC

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search