Evan's E61: Twin Turbo Build Log - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 04-21-2016, 10:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E61
Evan's E61: Twin Turbo Build Log

Some members were inquiring about some of my current projects so I figured it would be best to share a build log on this forum.

A little background on my style: Aesthetics are important to me but not at the expense of function so I do my best to achieve both, if there is a conflict, function wins. "Clean" is always the goal. I love details; details, details, details. Now that I have a garage I do all of my own work, I really enjoy the challenge of solving problems and figuring things out so a late model BMW keeps me busy on this front. When the wagon is broken, I fix it, when it is running 100%, I look for something to modify or break, I am sure many of you can relate. I love to retrofit things and "make them work." I also love having a 550awhp wagon that can run with pretty much anything on the street, while carrying mountain bikes, a dog, and groceries. Function!

Day 1 of the build (September 2013) up to (February 2016) can be seen in the first 30 pages of this thread: http://5series.net/forums/e61-tourin...ve-all-135223/

This thread will continue where that one leaves off.

For those inclined, my Instagram handle is "hoburger"

Evan

Here is a couple introductory pictures of my wagon in current trim:

- KW V3, RD Sport Sways, UR Strut Braces, Forgestar F14 SDC
- Manual Swap, MFactory SMFW, Spec Stg 3+ Clutch, Shiftteck SSK
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Ethanol Sensor
- N54B30, JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Y-Pipe Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB PCV, BMS OCC

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2016, 10:50 AM

About a month ago I blew my motor and currently I am in the middle of doing a pretty epic garage build including an engine swap (replacement), a 6AT-6MT conversion, and an AWD-RWD conversion with full M5 spec drivetrain. I already have M5 brakes and "hybrid" M5 suspension so the drivetrain will be a nice addition. Chronologically I am pulling this info from other posts/threads so there may be some holes and/or overlap, feel free to ask any questions.

I will not be offering a formal DIY for any of this stuff, my threads tend to be pretty detailed with info and pictures so hopefully that is useful.

With the rotor off you can see the business end of my rear suspension:
- KW V3 + oem Air
- M5 brakes + SS lines
- M5 front upper guide arm
- M5 integral link
- Oem wishbone (same as M5)
- Bullet-nosed studs, LOVE studs

For my manual conversion I sourced the pedal assembly from an E60 M5, the first unit I bought (with 2 pedals on the left) was damaged during shipping and the mounting location for the clutch return-spring was broken. The second pedal assembly I purchased (right) was supposed to be complete with clutch pedal and master cylinder but as you can see it was brake pedal and sensor only. Luckily between the 2 assemblies I was able to piece together a fully functional unit.

I am a big fan of machined pedals, I ran some on my old M5 and this will be my second set for the E61. I went with a brushed aluminum finish and it looks absolutely **** and should blend into to my interior well.
Oem vs. Brushed

Drilling holes to mount the pedals

Old pedal (raw Al cut for grip) bottom brushed up top

Pedal assembly ready for install

Here is the DIY for stuff like this: Bentley Manual and Google

Picked up a transmission jack for the differential, transfer case, and trans. Test fitting the M5 LSD here

In position

Fits into the non-M subframe without issue

Huge heat-sink wraps around the rear of the subframe

Test fitting with my custom 3" exhaust, close but I will trim the heat stink to give a cushion for diff movement

The E61 has these huge pull rods which connect to the brace my LED reverse light is bolted to and run to the jack points in front of the rear tires. The heat sink will need to be trimmed to accommodate these as well. There are some different pull rod combos for the M5 sedan, M5 wagon, and 535xi wagon, I feel what I currently have is the strongest setup so I will make them work.

I used a Sharpie to mark the heat sink that will be trimmed, all of the black areas will be cut off. I don't plan to track my wagon much if at all so I think the trimmed heat sink will still be fine for my application.

Up next was comparing my 535xi driveshaft (top) to the M5 shaft (bottom). I was originally going to have the M5 shaft customized to mate with the N54 but I want to explore the possibility of configuring a hybrid driveshaft: front half 535i and rear M5. The downside of running a hybrid is the M5 6MT output flange, guibo, and bearing will all be smaller compared to a full M5 spec driveshaft setup. The upside it is would be a bolt-on solution and save some coin on custom fabrication costs. The difference in diameter between the non-M and M5 output shaft and guibo is under around 5% or less so rather insignificant big-picture. It is a long-shot but the M5 bearing may be compatible with the non-M front 1/2 of the driveshaft, once I get the halves separated I can confirm.

M5 knuckles dwarf the non-M

Notice the inner diameter of the bearing, pretty close! This is one reason why I think there may be chance to run a hybrid setup

Comparing bearing diameter

Here are some comparison pics of the non-M AT axles compared to M5

- N54B30, JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Y-Pipe Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB PCV, BMS OCC

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 04-21-2016, 11:08 AM

The M5 LSD needed some modification and after testing fitting it with my exhaust and pull rods I knew what to cut off. It was a balance of removing enough material for adequate clearance, with leaving as much as possible for cooling, while making it look as good as possible. I am pretty happy how it came out.

Evan

Oem M5 heatsink

...aaaaaaaand it's GONE!

Pretty hacked up after the cutting

After some more grinding and sanding

535xi and M5 top, modded M5 bottom

Prepped the axles for install, the threads had been hit with some anti-rust coating which needed to be cleaned

Had to pull out the motor for the telescoping wheel function, the bolts were very hard to reach and I am not looking to putting them back in.

Paddle shift steering wheel and control module removed along with the console and electronic gear selector.

Hole punched out for manual shifter :banana

Didn't have the special tool to lock the flywheel/starter in place while the FW bolts are removed so this was my solution.

One hurdle to clear will be the transmission support and bracket. According to RealOem I have compatible part numbers but that is not the reality, the mounting points for where the bracket connects to the trans are different since my trans was sourced from an e9X 335i. The E6X support, bracket, and bushing combo is monstrous compared to the E9X setup. I really like the design of the E6X bushings where it allows the upper bracket to reside inside the bushing, it makes a lot of sense and IMO the design better suited for high torque than the 335i mount.

My goal is to use the E60 support and either modify the top bracket have one made to make the mounting locations work. Not sure which direction to go yet.

Bare trans
[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Qxwgq0aijtc/VxL3zmmpXkI/AAAAAAAAnvA/u3TuD***R_kBRUKUUUm-9DtfzVqF7xtKgCCo/s800-Ic42/IMG_6151.JPG[/IMG]

Trans with 335i bracket (holes align)

535i bracket (improper fit)

E6X vx E9X

Showing how the E6x bracket feet mount inside the bushings

Bushing (bearing) comparison

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2016, 11:10 AM

Engine Teardown(s)

Incident: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37846
Build Log: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36899

Finally pulled my motor and was able to take some better pictures of the damage to the block. Engine is still being torn down, I will add pics once the valve cover and head is off.

For those familiar with engine internals and failures, if you would like some specific pictures to help in the diagnosis please let me know. This is my first experience inside an engine and am not sure exactly what to look for.

One question I have is, can we extract any assumptions of the failure based on the way the con rod is bent/snapped? Interesting how it is twisted like that.

I rolled the dice a bit on a replacement engine yesterday, went out to Fontana to inspect it in person and had it delivered to my house last evening.
Donor car was a 2011 335is with 35k, I bought the engine for $800. It was complete minus turbos but many of the bolt-ons were damaged from rough handling, thankfully the HPFP and index-12 injectors are perfect! I can refurbish and sell the fuel system for nearly the price of the engine.

The oil pan was cracked from the accident and there has been some dirt contamination into the pan and oil pump but there appears to be no major damage, the oil pump on my engine is fine so that can be swapped anyway. The valve cover is also cracked but again, mine is perfect so it shouldn't be an issue to swap. The donor engine should have a perfect block and head which is what I need.

I am still tearing down both engines to confirm their internal condition but my plan is to use the head and block from the 335is, add my valve cover and oil pump if needed, and purchase a new oil pan. Then outsource the rebuilding to a professional so they can properly clean, reassemble, and test the engine before I install it. We can address any issues during the rebuild as they arise. Does that sound like a sound plan?

With the mis-matching of engine segments there are not any obvious compatibility issues that stand out to me. There are some subtle differences which include: 8-bolt vs 6-bolt flywheel, the 335is block has additional cooling channels around the cylinders, and the oil pan + suction tube have a different orientation.

More to come,
Evan

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 04-21-2016, 11:11 AM

I love this shot, I feel it accurately depicts the amount of carnage.

A look at cylinder 3 from the bottom

Here is the potential diamond in the rough 335is engine. The turbos oil/cooling lines, fuel system, manifold, TB, and some other components already removed.

Parts removed

Hot side

Crack in valve cover

Oil pan damage

Inspecting and cleaning the 335is engine

One thing I found interesting is how yellow/gold the bearing ledges (and internals in general) were compared the 335is engine.
535xi engine

335is engine

A look at the top

Valve springs

Oil pump gear is damaged, notice the stress cracks

You can see gouging from the chain, since the marks are drawn through the metal it looks like this oil pump damage happened during the accident when the engine was running

Timing chain and gears

You can see the dirt, grime, and debris.

More contamination

Oil pan removed

A look around from the underside, sorry it was hard to get decent photos

All cylinders look like this, REAL clean!

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 04-21-2016, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Awesome thread. I'm hooked. M5 driveshaft and axles are pretty serious.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:37 PM

Mein Auto: Sputnik
What up Evan. So you figure out exact what caused the rod to stick it's head out the side of the block?

E60
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access
-FBO, custom Cobb E45 map, Fuel_it Stg2 LPFP, Performance Gearing LSD.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto:
Awesome work! Subscribed!!
Old 04-25-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETNSandman View Post
Awesome thread. I'm hooked. M5 driveshaft and axles are pretty serious.
Just think the E60 M5 makes about 330rwtq from the factory and has that drivetrain, prior to this conversion I was making 510awtq through the "little" drivetrain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaazaa View Post
What up Evan. So you figure out exact what caused the rod to stick it's head out the side of the block?
Still not exactly sure, engine internal and failures are uncharted territory to me so I am just offering up info to the forums and letting experts get their eyes on it. If I had to take a stab at it the con rod may be snapped from the engine over revving from a trans misshift. But what is more likely is inadequate fuel distribution into the cylinder and may have triggered detonation. Not sure, maybe once the head is off of the old block we can collect some more info. Since I don't have logs of the actual incident (only shortly before) we may never know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboat View Post
Awesome work! Subscribed!!
Thanks!

Evan

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 04-25-2016, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Looks like the rod just bent, it could be from detonation or just weak rod. If the piston failed, rod would not ventilate the block like that. What kind of fuel did you run?
Old 04-25-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaane View Post
Looks like the rod just bent, it could be from detonation or just weak rod. If the piston failed, rod would not ventilate the block like that. What kind of fuel did you run?
E35 blend

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 04-25-2016, 07:47 PM

was rest of it 91 octane?
Old 04-25-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
was rest of it 91 octane?
Yes

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 04-25-2016, 08:02 PM

I'd say probably detonation due to ****ty 91 octane.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:06 AM

Bought a manual M5 steering wheel to replace my SMG unit with those silly paddle things. eBay find from a M5 with 72k, it was pretty dirty but cleaned up well.

Even though my E61 is more M5 than 535xi, I don't feel there is any need to have those "M" badges sprinkled throughout the car so, just as with my previous M5 wheel, I will run it with the non-M trim. I also happen to think it looks better.

I also snagged the rear aux panel from the center console, mine only had cigarette outlets so the aux input was a welcomed addition. The panel is also prepped for rear seat heater buttons which is nice since I plan to retrofit those down the road. My car was interestingly optioned with the ski pass and heated steering wheel but no "cold weather package" and ultimately no heated rear seats.

Evan

BEFORE

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Gm76bcqb0cE/VyYv_2c996I/AAAAAAAAoTQ/zX8R2KgT3AIzE-_y0***GMXCvn7A0vxUgCCo/s800/IMG_6556.JPG[/IMG]

BEFORE/AFTER

AFTER

Aux Panel

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 05-01-2016, 11:48 AM

What did you use to clean the steering wheel? It looks amazing!
Old 05-01-2016, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
^^
I was wondering the same thing!

Old 05-01-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
What did you use to clean the steering wheel? It looks amazing!
Chemical Bros leather cleaner, a toothbrush, a horse-hair brush, and a microfiber towel. Spray, gently agitate, and wipe. Repeat until clean.

Evan

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 05-01-2016, 06:38 PM

This one? http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-...eather+cleaner

or this one? http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-...eather+cleaner
Old 05-01-2016, 06:45 PM

That one, although I bought a larger quantity.
http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-...iglink20339-20

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 05-01-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:11 PM

Here is one of the "detail" mods I finally got around to installing. I purchased a rear door handle insert for my driver door which functionally is a key-hole delete. It worked out as I had hoped, there was no fitment issues and the actual locking cylinder didn't need to be removed, the cover simply sat on top of it.

CLEAN!

Evan

Before

After

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 05-02-2016, 09:56 PM

1 of the multiple orders of parts I am waiting on arrived, this one included primarily a bunch of goodies for the engine rebuild.

Timing chain, cogs, crank hub and bolt, turbo return lines, serpentine belt, oil pan hardware, various seals, and clutch switch wiring.

E39 540iT:
- OEM Style 167, KW V1
- E38 Contour Seats
Old 05-03-2016, 12:10 AM

Mein Auto: 05 545
Evans - amazing work as usual, and sorry to hear about your motor going out like that.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
I has wanting to do a keyhole delete as well. That looks great.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Aside from the excellent, detailed work you post, the images are extremely clear and clearly shows the awesome end results. Well done sir...well done...

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search