Steering wheel shakes when braking - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-31-2017, 11:26 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 328i
Steering wheel shakes when braking

When I start braking the steering wheel starts to shake until I come to a full stop.

Before this happened I had to change my brakes but the rotors were not changed, ordered wrong rotors so shop had to cut them.

I'm think it may be the rotors causing the problem.

What do u guys think?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2017, 11:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 328i E92
I think your front rotors are the problem. Sometimes you can try to machine them if they are not too bad, but it seems like it's warped pretty badly so I would just replace them. Always replace in sets.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:03 AM

Mein Auto: 07 525xi E60 N52 automati
It's always cheaper to replace rotors now a days anyway. Years ago having them cut was easy but I find it cheaper now because look what you have to go threw now again... the guy I got my car from did same thing right before selling to me and the past few weeks I have noticed mine are warped aswell. I'm starting to feel the vibration in the peddle and a little in the steering wheel. I'm actually questioning how many wear sensors there are on the car. I have a 07 E60 and I think there are only 2 one in front and one in rear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 02:32 AM
Aleks

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstylz01 View Post
When I start braking the steering wheel starts to shake until I come to a full stop.

Before this happened I had to change my brakes but the rotors were not changed, ordered wrong rotors so shop had to cut them.

I'm think it may be the rotors causing the problem.

What do u guys think?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
You need new rotors. Or more unlikely wheel bearings. If it was the bearings you would feel it while accelerating as well.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Engineer

Mein Auto: 2006 325i Sport Package
Likely your rotors, the back rotors can also cause vibrations to seem to be coming from front and you could feel it in steering column and/or break pedal feedback.

Turning heat soaked rotors will make them look good on the bench but when they heat up in use they will be not only useless but possibly dangerous.
Don't skimp on brakes or tires.
Here is my rotor story.

I purchased a used 2006 325i sport package, with 117K miles, in great shape. When purchased it had subtle a wup-wup-wup-... noise that would be more pronounced at some speeds, and on some days almost non-perceptible.

Local (Chapel Hill, NC) BMW stealer who did the bumper to bumper pre-purchase inspection reported no problems, reported all bearings and brakes were good and suggested it was one or more tire out of balance or out of round. The tires had lots of tread and were in excellent shape so I decided to just drive on them. (In reality the stealer missed several obvious non-related issues I found after I purchased the car which any competent mechanic should have found.)

I Drove the car for about 5K miles, and the noise started to get more pronounced on hard breaking. Then I started to get bad shuddering on hard braking, more pronounced when in a right turn.

BMW stealer again inspected and reported no issues with the brakes, but wanted way too much for tires so I used Tire Rack and had local shade tree garage mount and balance tires ($900 for top of line Michelin). No Joy, still wup-wup noise and shuddering on breaking. Proactively Replaced front rotors and pads. Still noise. Finally replaced rear rotors and pads, which had been verified by both BMW stealer and shade tree mechanic as being good, and problems all went away.

Further inspection of parts by mechanic reported the rear rotors looked OK and were balanced and flat but had been "heat soaked" so that when they were heated up they would warp significantly but at cooler temperatures they seemed OK.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Rotor Runout Measurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstylz01 View Post
When I start braking the steering wheel starts to shake until I come to a full stop. Before this happened I had to change my brakes but the rotors were not changed, ordered wrong rotors so shop had to cut them. I'm think it may be the rotors causing the problem. What do u guys think?
I think:
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...dial+indicator

and/or
https://www.harborfreight.com/multip...ment-5645.html

are needed to measure runout (lateral motion of disc/rotor) at each wheel to be sure.

Best SWAG is certainly rotor replacement (axle set).

BTW, did you/your shop make sure the rotors were >minimum thickness spec after turning? I assume rotor diameter varies between models and minimum thickness is dependent upon diameter of rotor installed?

Anyone have a good method for rotating rotor to test runout on AWD/XDrive models? Just jack both fronts and rotate opposite tire after wheel removal on tested side?

Thanks,
George
Old 06-01-2017, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335is CAB w/DCT
Oddly enough. I just replaced the front and rear brakes on my GX470. Had the pulsing issue when braking. Did rear first and still had pulsing issue. Did front but could not remove the bolts for the caliper. So I swapped out the pads and left the rotors. Problem solved. The rotor is a brembo rotor and has a very small lip. So lots of life left. I'm surprised the pads alone solved this. Will take to Indy when the front pads wear to add new pads and the rotors in my basement. Still wrapped in the plastic bag.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:10 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto:
+1 for new rotors. In the rare event that it would be your wheel bearing, driving would feel choppy or possibly even squeaky. Good luck!

Find BMW Carbon Fiber Parts | Web: www.rwcarbon.com
email: [email protected] | Facebook | Blog | Instagram
sales/customer service: 714.328.4406
Old 06-02-2017, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335
I have never had a problem with warped rotors on a BMW because I change the rotors at each pad replacement. Before I got my first BMW 20 years ago, I never had a car that didn't have problems with warped rotors. You can get the rotors turned to straighten them out, but the problem will return faster because you are taking more metal off the rotor. Rotors warp due to heating and the lack of enough metal to act as a heat sink to dissipate the heat. BMW front rotors are very large and can handle the heating.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
I am going to provide a counter possibility instead of just agreeing with everyone here

Many of us may accelerate quickly and have some WOT fun in our cars but how often does that result in braking hard like a maniac for anything more than a couple seconds? I am convinced we do not heat up our large, thick rotors going to work and the grocery store enough to get them so hot they want to change shape.

Instead, I will suggest the opposite is true in many cases. Especially for all those that love to complain about brake dust and want to order after market pads that are harder. We don't use ours brakes hard enough.

If you have brake pulsing try this before you replace the rotors. It is called "bedding in" and is the same procedure you may read about when you get new pads. Note that when you get new pads the process of bedding in is to get your pads and rotors really hot on purpose! A lot hotter than driving around the city day to day and no one expects to "warp" their rotors bedding in new pads.

I won't list the details because you can google that on your own but the point is to actually get your pads and rotors hot enough to clean off the pad surface and micro deposits that are stuck to the rotor.

You got nothing to lose trying it. If it doesn't help then you are still buying new rotors anyway.

This can help brake pulsing you feel in the pedal but if the steering wheel is moving then in my opinion there is another contributing factor. Bushings, control arms, ball joints, etc.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search