Screw won’t screw back into place - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-15-2017, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 335i
Screw won’t screw back into place

Hello I have replaced my kidney grills and I had to remove the 4 screws on the bumper. Now I have to screw them back into place but one of the screws won’t screw in. I tried to screw the other screws and same thing the screw just pops back up. Any suggestions or anyone that could relate?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2017, 10:20 AM
///Member

Mein Auto: 2014 335i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by boost335 View Post
Hello I have replaced my kidney grills and I had to remove the 4 screws on the bumper. Now I have to screw them back into place but one of the screws won’t screw in. I tried to screw the other screws and same thing the screw just pops back up. Any suggestions or anyone that could relate]
Sounds like the screw got stripped.

'14 Porsche 911 Turbo S, Jet Black Metallic, Leather interior in Black/Bordeaux Red, Sport Chrono

'14 BMW 335i xDrive Sport Line, Jet Black, Black int, Premium / Cold Weather / Nav Pkg - MPPK/MPE

'16 BMW X1 xDrive28i, Glacier Silver Metallic, Black int, Premium / Cold Weather / Luxury Pkg

RETIRED:
'13 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line, Jet Black, Black int, Premium / Cold Weather / Nav Pkg

SOLD:
'10 328i xDrive, Jet Black

'07 328xi, Black Sapphire Metallic
Old 11-16-2017, 12:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335
If none of the screws will hold, whatever you are placing the screw into is stripped to the point where there are no threads or not enough material to hold the screw. If it's a sheet metal type screw, get a larger one. If it's a machine threaded screw going to a threaded opening, you can try to tap out a new set of threads and go with a larger screw. Or you can forget it and depend on the other 3 screws to hold. It's always possible the factory stripped the opening. I have found that even if your cross thread a screw or bolt it will usually hold unless you way over tighten the screw or bolt or you need a high level or torque. Just be patient in the future and hand tighten or loosely tighten until you are sure you are lined up and the the opening is allowing you to turn your fastener easily. Sometimes it's hard to do that if you are attaching a new part and the openings don't line up forcing you to insert the fastener at an angle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2017, 03:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328ix
Take it back out and see what the issue is.

As noted above, either stripped hole, or maybe there is a clip that fell out. Never taken mine out, so don't know what the part looks like, but it has to be something simple.

If it is stripped, you can always get a slightly larger screw, or maybe build the hole back out with some epoxy, etc.

Was looking for something else, and stumbled across this on the Pelican site
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm

Last edited by Davein; 11-16-2017 at 03:42 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search