My e92 got rear ended - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-11-2017, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
I always keep my e92 in excellent condition until yesterday morning I got rear ended by a pick up on a jam packed NJ Turnpike. Boom! Trunk lid gone, bumper cover gone, left tail light gone and a potential frame damage since I see the metal behind the bumper cover is bent. I'm physically fine tho, just heart broken.

Any one have experience on this kind of situation? is it going to significantly decrease the value if I am going to sell it? The shop I bought my car to told me it's not a frame damage but I'm still worry because to my knowledge frame damage basically equals totaled......

I was planning to keep my car for a while, but selling it comes into my mind despite the fact that I just spent 2 grand to replace the water pump, t-stat, vcg and ofhg last month

Here are some pictures

Last edited by Egusiseed; 12-15-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2017, 11:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 323i
Looks cosmetic, the way you were describing it I thought the rear window would be smashed. The rear fenders look decent. Did the door jams get jammed or anything? If not no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2017, 11:32 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Not an expert but it looks a lot more than just cosmetic to me? The way boot lid has been pushed up like that is not good and the rear bumper is going to need to be replaced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben22101 View Post
Looks cosmetic, the way you were describing it I thought the rear window would be smashed. The rear fenders look decent. Did the door jams get jammed or anything?
Both doors are fine, I checked the fenders seem no damage. The trunk lid could open and close but just a little harder than usual. Hopefully just cosmetic like you said. Have to wait until they take off the parts to see carefully to determine though
Old 12-12-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
Not an expert but it looks a lot more than just cosmetic to me? The way boot lid has been pushed up like that is not good and the rear bumper is going to need to be replaced?
That's exactly what I'm worrying about because I see the trunk behind the plastic bumper cover is actually bent. The shop is going to inspect and hopefully nothing is related to the frame.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:08 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Be sure your amp and battery are not damaged .
Make sure the its water tight when repaired.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Be sure your amp and battery are not damaged .
Make sure the its water tight when repaired.
Thanks for reminding the water tight. I did check the amp and battery and they look alright, at least I don't have any lights/codes related so far. I guess it's because the collusion was slightly off to the left side.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 F33
I had an Audi which was rear ended the day I picked it up. When I traded it in for my current BMW, they ran a carfax and deducted $2,000 because of the accident (which was expertly repaired).

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 12-12-2017, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Can't see your pictures but unless you substantially contributed to the cause of the accident the other party's insurance company will be responsible cover repair costs, replacement rental, etc.

You should also notify YOUR insurance company so they can handle the subrogation. You should have your BMW inspected & repaired (if that's the route you go & if the car is deemed 'repairable') by a BMW EXPERIENCED & QUALIFIED SHOP - not all cars are created equal and I'd NEVER expect an autobody shop (no matter how 'qualified') that spends 95% of their time fixing Fords or KIAs to know the nits and bits of a BMW.

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir, but YOU can choose / decide where your car gets fixed - DON'T let an insurance company adjuster tell you otherwise. The Adjuster's JOB is to reduce the costs borne by the insurance company - his/her job is NOT PROTECTING YOUR INTERESTS.
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

SPAM links removed. Not permitted on Bimmerfest
Old 12-12-2017, 10:59 AM
Breaking in the Pony

Mein Auto: 19 Mustang GT / 05 Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egusiseed View Post
Any one have experience on this kind of situation? is it going to significantly decrease the value if I am going to sell it?
Yes and yes.

The car will be fine. The metal behind the bumper is a separate replaceable piece. Mine was bent and cracked through. Didn't impact the overall body, however.

Here's the info on when it happened to mine:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=620070

Over $10k all in (repairs + rental) and 8 weeks in the shop. Came out looking and driving as though it was new. Did lose a good chunk in sales value, though. In light of the age of the car, prepare for a spitting contest with the insurer over using OEM versus aftermarket parts.

Here's the "after" thread:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=631375

Prior 44 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette / 1981 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion / 2009 BMW 335i xDrive E92 / 2015 BMW M235xi xDrive F22

Last edited by Zooks527; 12-12-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpickoff View Post
I had an Audi which was rear ended the day I picked it up. When I traded it in for my current BMW, they ran a carfax and deducted $2,000 because of the accident (which was expertly repaired).
$2000 damn!! How was the market value of your Audi back then?
Old 12-12-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi524td View Post
Can't see your pictures but unless you substantially contributed to the cause of the accident the other party's insurance company will be responsible cover repair costs, replacement rental, etc.

You should also notify YOUR insurance company so they can handle the subrogation. You should have your BMW inspected & repaired (if that's the route you go & if the car is deemed 'repairable') by a BMW EXPERIENCED & QUALIFIED SHOP - not all cars are created equal and I'd NEVER expect an autobody shop (no matter how 'qualified') that spends 95% of their time fixing Fords or KIAs to know the nits and bits of a BMW.

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir, but YOU can choose / decide where your car gets fixed - DON'T let an insurance company adjuster tell you otherwise. The Adjuster's JOB is to reduce the costs borne by the insurance company - his/her job is NOT PROTECTING YOUR INTERESTS.
Thanks for the suggedtions. Seems like I will have a battle with the insurance company......
Old 12-12-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Quote:
Any one have experience on this kind of situation? is it going to significantly decrease the value if I am going to sell it?
Yes and yes.

The car will be fine. The metal behind the bumper is a separate replaceable piece. Mine was bent and cracked through. Didn't impact the overall body, however.

Here's the info on when it happened to mine:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=620070

Over $10k all in (repairs + rental) and 8 weeks in the shop. Came out looking and driving as though it was new. Did lose a good chunk in sales value, though. In light of the age of the car, prepare for a spitting contest with the insurer over using OEM versus aftermarket parts.

Here's the "after" thread:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=631375
I feel much better after reading your post especially you mentioned about the metal piece behind the bumper is replaceable.

I have told the shop I would demand for OE parts ONLY but they said it's really up to the insurance company. He also said for BMW usually they will end up using OE parts since aftermarket parts are not so common. I'm not so sure about this since I saw tons of aftermarket parts on eBay, well bumper covers at least.

They said the whole repair process will take about 2 weeks, 8 weeks sound a bit excessive to me. They hooked me up with a Mustang V6 rental tho, but still can't be compared to my beloved e92......

Btw, we will do a F34 ED next March, saw you did a ED with your E92 : )
Old 12-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Breaking in the Pony

Mein Auto: 19 Mustang GT / 05 Tacoma
Quote:
They said the whole repair process will take about 2 weeks, 8 weeks sound a bit excessive to me. They hooked me up with a Mustang V6 rental tho, but still can't be compared to my beloved e92......

Btw, we will do a F34 ED next March, saw you did a ED with your E92 : )
Probably half of the 8 weeks was my shop fighting to use OEM, losing, getting the aftermarket part, proving to the insurance company that it didn't fit, then getting and fitting the OEM (and charging the insurance company for the trouble ).

You'll have a blast on the ED. Try to spend a night at the Hotel Mueller in Hohenschwangau. My wife and daughter loved it.

Prior 44 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette / 1981 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion / 2009 BMW 335i xDrive E92 / 2015 BMW M235xi xDrive F22
Old 12-14-2017, 11:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
I always keep my e92 in excellent condition until yesterday morning I got rear ended by a pick up on a jam packed NJ Turnpike. Boom! Trunk lid gone, bumper cover gone, left tail light gone and a potential frame damage since I see the metal behind the bumper cover is bent. I'm physically fine tho, just heart broken.

Any one have experience on this kind of situation? is it going to significantly decrease the value if I am going to sell it? The shop I bought my car to told me it's not a frame damage but I'm still worry because to my knowledge frame damage basically equals totaled......

I was planning to keep my car for a while, but selling it comes into my mind despite the fact that I just spent 2 grand to replace the water pump, t-stat, vcg and ofhg last month

Here are some pictures

Yep. Same thing happened to me. $27K to fix it. Insurance wouldn't total it. I now have 116K miles on it and still running like new.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Probably half of the 8 weeks was my shop fighting to use OEM, losing, getting the aftermarket part, proving to the insurance company that it didn't fit, then getting and fitting the OEM (and charging the insurance company for the trouble ).

You'll have a blast on the ED. Try to spend a night at the Hotel Mueller in Hohenschwangau. My wife and daughter loved it.
Just got a call from the shop, they are going to use all OE parts except for the plastic bumper cover, I hope when they try to put it on, it won't fit so I can get the OE bumper cover but seems like the chance is pretty low

Hotel Mueller, noted
Old 12-15-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
Yep. Same thing happened to me. $27K to fix it. Insurance wouldn't total it. I now have 116K miles on it and still running like new.
$27K woo , if they need this amount to fix my car, they will 100% total it since it worth way less
Old 12-15-2017, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335
I was rear ended by a corolla a couple of years ago in my e92. At first GEICO just said they could use a heat gun to smooth out the bumper cover. I told them the cover was punctured by the license bracket bolts and they gave in and authorized a new cover. I also pointed out the metal plate behind the cover was bent and they authorized a new plate to replace the bent one. The shop was able to match the paint, even though the car was 8 years old, but it is garage parked, so there isn't of changes to the paint. Also my trunk floor and trunk lid weren't bent. It looks like your trunk pid is bent. They can probably straighten it out.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
$2000 damn!! How was the market value of your Audi back then?

It had 102,000 miles so the value was $18,000, best they could do was $16,000 on the trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 12-15-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
I was rear ended by a corolla a couple of years ago in my e92. At first GEICO just said they could use a heat gun to smooth out the bumper cover. I told them the cover was punctured by the license bracket bolts and they gave in and authorized a new cover. I also pointed out the metal plate behind the cover was bent and they authorized a new plate to replace the bent one. The shop was able to match the paint, even though the car was 8 years old, but it is garage parked, so there isn't of changes to the paint. Also my trunk floor and trunk lid weren't bent. It looks like your trunk pid is bent. They can probably straighten it out.
I guess that Corolla should be totaled

They are going to replace the trunk lid instead of straighten it out, my trunk floor should be fine
Old 12-15-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpickoff View Post
It had 102,000 miles so the value was $18,000, best they could do was $16,000 on the trade. Bimmerfest mobile app
ahh that sucks, btw $18K for a 102,000 mile Audi, it must be an A8
Old 12-27-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
ahh that sucks, btw $18K for a 102,000 mile Audi, it must be an A8

A5 convertible

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search