2008 BMW 328i serpentine belt broke!! - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-16-2018, 08:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by neohip View Post
Thanks George!
At this rate it is definitely not adding up to spend more time with these crooks (dealers) or on the car. The trade-in value of the car is around $4K. So, now the law of diminishing returns is taking effect
In any case, I have bigger fish to fry and don't wanna spend more of my time with these low lives. But yeah, there is a part of me which hates the fact that they are getting away with this. I will do my best to smear bad reviews over all the online boards that I can find. I am actually looking forward to dumping this car and get a tesla
Make sure to include Yelp, and when you do your reviews, throw back at them their claim, that the belt was damaged by oil. Make sure to mention that during their multi-point inspection, they were so incompetent, that they failed to notice a belt in such bad shape, that it failed 5 minutes after leaving the dealership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2018, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335
According to the OP--I've never had the belt breaking and had replaced the belt a few months back."

If the belt was replaced a few months back, it seems to me that whoever replaced the belt has some responsibility under the warranty for the failed belt. They may deny responsibility for consequential damages, because any warranty usually is limited to replacement of the defective part and nothing else.

I don't see any liability for the dealer, unless the OP can prove negligence in the other repairs caused damage to the belt. I think that's an impossible burden to carry, and it's the OP's burden, not the dealer's. If the dealer denies responsibility, then take the car somewhere else.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto:
Got it towed back to my mechanic. The belt is completely dry and there are no signs of oil damage. My mechanic is a honest guy unlike the crooks (dealers). If he thinks its due to his mistake he will replace it for free. He has also given me a 1-yr warranty on the repair. Meantime following up with BMW NA and Munich, but so far they have mentioned that the dealerships are independently owned and operated and they would not be able to intervene on my behalf
Old 08-17-2018, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
The belts aren't the problem on these (unless they have oil on them)
Its the tensioner spring getting weak. Mike Miller old school schedule recommends
replacing them every 60k. Wish there was some kind of objective tension
test for them. The seat of the pants test is them creeping over the edge of the pulleys.

Last edited by ctuna; 08-18-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto:
The belt and tensioner were both replaced a month back before taking it to the dealer to do the recall work. This is clearly a case of negligence but one which is hard to prove, I guess
Old 08-17-2018, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i E92
Quote:
Got it towed back to my mechanic. The belt is completely dry and there are no signs of oil damage. My mechanic is a honest guy unlike the crooks (dealers). If he thinks its due to his mistake he will replace it for free. He has also given me a 1-yr warranty on the repair. Meantime following up with BMW NA and Munich, but so far they have mentioned that the dealerships are independently owned and operated and they would not be able to intervene on my behalf
So your mechanic was the one who replaced your belt and tensioner?
Old 08-18-2018, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto:
Finally, some good news!! Mechanic replaced the belt and cleaned up the engine compartment. No debris in the engine and its running fine now (fingers crossed)! He's only charging me for the belt and no labor. What a relief to find some honest people left in this world
Old 08-18-2018, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
Finally, some good news!! Mechanic replaced the belt and cleaned up the engine compartment. No debris in the engine and its running fine now (fingers crossed)! He's only charging me for the belt and no labor. What a relief to find some honest people left in this world
Congratulations!!!

KUDOS to your mechanic!!!

Under the heading: "No good deed goes unpunished," I want to make sure you realize this is NOT an act of "honesty" on the part of your mechanic. It is an act of empathy with YOU and wanting to help YOU deal the the negligence of the Dealer Tech (for which your mechanic is in NO WAY responsible). Your mechanic is in NOT admitting he did anything wrong in replacing the belt & idler WEEKS/MONTHS before the belt got shredded, NOR SHOULD HE.

The belt shredded within 3 miles (or less) of the dealer tech performing the recall procedure. I attach a photo from the RCRIT previously cited, which shows a tech accessing the Breather Heater or "Angle Connector" after removal of the Alternator. Note the belt in lower center of the photo, under the top radiator hose.

Like BMW-North just stated in another thread:
"Really there's only 2 things they can screw up here: 1- is not re-installing the alternator correctly and ensuring the correct serpentine belt tension (very important)."
Your mechanic is a "Keeper." Please promote the business of the good guys who do good deeds based upon "Principle" rather than $Principal$.

George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breather Heater Access.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	813648  
Old 08-18-2018, 12:03 PM
Kostspieliger Spaß Quandt

Mein Auto: e46;e92;f30;e83, AMv8v
I just read through this thread Neohip. Glad you got her back up and running without any major damage. From what I've read in this thread, I'd agree with George's assessment that your mechanic had installed the belt correctly 3 months earlier, the slip had nothing to do with his work nor oil contamination but that the most probable reason was during the recall work the BMW Dealer Tech did not replace the belt correctly. I think we'll see many similar occurrences as this recall campaign expands. That and misfire/lean conditions resulting from cracked PCV tubes as the BMW techs wrangle 7-12 year old plastic tubes trying to fit in the new PCV heater under the intake.

Kudos to your mechanic. Give him a plug - there might be folk who read this looking for an honest local indy?
Old 08-20-2018, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Thanks guys!

I mentioned all the points while talking to the service manager and specifically why they did not mention about any belt damage. Their reply was that because of oil leaks the belt can slip and get damaged at any point of time. Also, since they did not replace the belt and tensioner they cannot vouch for the job and are not responsible for any damages to that part. They also said that they have followed the recall procedure by the book and they have done many such recall fixes and never saw any issues.

Its hard to argue beyond a certain point if they are not willing to admit even a possibility of error on their part because they are the authority on this and I'm a nobody even though I am presenting detailed technical aspects about the repair!

@gbalthrop

I am located in San Jose, CA. I will prepare a letter and present it to the dealer but highly unlikely that they will sign it! I can just handover a copy of it to them even if they are not willing to take a look at it. Probably will mail it in to them as well.

Btw, do you guys have the contact for BMW NA ? I called up the number on this link:

https://www.bmwusa.com/contact-us.html

But the guy who picked up the phone told me that the dealerships are independently owned and operated and they cannot do anything about it. Who is the right person to talk about this in BMW NA ?

That’s what they say now when you call in. They no longer back up their cars. Absolutely worthless to even still have this department.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 08-20-2018, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: E93 335i, somewhat mod
Quote:

That's how we generate loyalty. Who is that guy; what's the company name? I say we make him famous....!
Old 08-21-2018, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
I feel bad for all you folks that have dealers that operate in a non-honest way. I consider myself super lucky that I've had nothing but great experiences at my closest dealer.

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Old 08-21-2018, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto:
Turns out my mechanic was very much interested in buying my car since I had told him that I'm planning to sell it soon. Its lower than KBB value, but I'm still going ahead with the sale, at least it will be in the hands of someone who will take care of the car I'll put a plug for him soon!
So, its goodbye to my beloved BMW, it was fun while it lasted!
Need a bigger car and I'm inclined towards the outback. Surprisingly, the test drive was good and it has a nice european feel to it even though its a big car!
Old 08-21-2018, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
...I've had nothing but great experiences at my closest dealer.
Well Yukoner, in Whitehorse, YT, shouldn't that be "least-farthest dealer."

George
Old 08-21-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Well Yukoner, in Whitehorse, YT, shouldn't that be "least-farthest dealer."

George
Fair enough

I'm headed there in a couple weeks, actually ! Annual servicing time, and 3 recalls being performed

Old 08-21-2018, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: E93 335i, somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
Fair enough

I'm headed there in a couple weeks, actually ! Annual servicing time, and 3 recalls being performed

Better double-bungee yer gas cans for that trip - don't you go to Anchorage?
Old 08-22-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY TRE View Post
Better double-bungee yer gas cans for that trip - don't you go to Anchorage?
Yep, Anchorage. It's not THAT far, TBH. About ~800 miles. I can get ~450 miles on a single tank of fuel. Gas-up point is in Tok, AK. I might gas up another time if I want to, but I don't need to. The only bad part about the drive is the lack of cellular service for about 80% of it. I've got free towing as a CAA (AAA) member, but calling the tow truck would be an issue if I had to.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:15 AM
Kostspieliger Spaß Quandt

Mein Auto: e46;e92;f30;e83, AMv8v
On both my visits to Whitehorse as well as Anchorage I noted almost every vehicle had cracked windshields - even my rental SUV - Folks there told me insurance companies won't even insure windshields. Is the windshield on your e90 xi cracked?

Last edited by BMW-North; 08-22-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335is 6 speed
Wow happy that belt did not cause more issues. Happy you did not get F that bad.

Gotta say belt shredding is scaring me now lol.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightNarwhal View Post
Wow happy that belt did not cause more issues
Engine was running fine after fixing the belt, but dont know if it caused any more issues. Anyways, I dont care anymore coz I sold the car. Wow, I feel so stress free now that I sold the BMW!
Old 08-22-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
On both my visits to Whitehorse as well as Anchorage I noted almost every vehicle had cracked windshields - even my rental SUV - Folks there told me insurance companies won't even insure windshields. Is the windshield on your e90 xi cracked?
Sigh. Here are the pics. The second pic you can see a horizontal crack / split near the bottom of the windshield. First pic is right next to the rear view mirror.

One of the maintenance items at the dealer this year is to get the windshield replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180822_194712_1534992615257.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	814583   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180822_194724_1534992656018.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	814585  

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search