Used Soft Top Installation - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5
Used Soft Top Installation

The rear soft top glass window on my 2003 Z4 was broken during a storm. The glass and soft top are an integral unit. Insurance (Statefarm) says they are only required to provide used parts (replacement top). Of course I disagree as a convertible top is a part the is subject to degradation with age (not quite like pulling off a fender). I am pretty sure you would all agree, just posting for support and confirmation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2020, 09:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
You have my support, and I think your argument is valid. The "used parts only" offer should only hold water if new parts are NLA (not the case here). It might be wise to dig up your policy and read the fine print. If language is not specific, it wouldn't hurt to call a lawyer. Often for the nominal cost of an email or cover letter from the attorney may get them to change their tune pretty quickly.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4, 2009 Nomad mc
Slight twist on Andyz4ís reply....

Agree with reading the fine print on your insurance. If replacement only is required... offer to pay difference between new/used if not too great a difference. The cost to have a lawyer write a letter to dispute is going to have a cost involved and should be used to reduce that difference in your calculations. At that point you determine if new vs used is worth the adjusted difference.

The install costs are still going to be covered by insurance company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4, 2009 Nomad mc
Afterthought.... a used top has to be the same or better condition than your present top.

Make sure you document the condition of your top.... pictures and dealer assessment will be required for your discussion with insurance company.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
Slight twist on Andyz4ís reply....

Agree with reading the fine print on your insurance. If replacement only is required... offer to pay difference between new/used if not too great a difference. The cost to have a lawyer write a letter to dispute is going to have a cost involved and should be used to reduce that difference in your calculations. At that point you determine if new vs used is worth the adjusted difference.

The install costs are still going to be covered by insurance company.

This.

The top canvas is not that expensive. It's the labor to install it. Unless you have an attorney as a personal friend who will do the letter probono it will cost you as much for the letter as it will to split the difference with the insurance company on a new top canvas.

https://www.autotopsdirect.com/BMW-2...04-e85-004.htm
Old 05-21-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
This.

The top canvas is not that expensive. It's the labor to install it. Unless you have an attorney as a personal friend who will do the letter probono it will cost you as much for the letter as it will to split the difference with the insurance company on a new top canvas.

https://www.autotopsdirect.com/BMW-2...04-e85-004.htm
Do you have anhy experience with he fit and performance of third party tops?
Old 05-22-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingRick View Post
Do you have anhy experience with he fit and performance of third party tops?
I have this exact top on my car. Fit, finish, and quality is every bit as good as the OEM top. I installed it in January of 2016. Still looks great.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
I have this exact top on my car. Fit, finish, and quality is every bit as good as the OEM top. I installed it in January of 2016. Still looks great.
Did you replace the tension ropes or any other parts while doing the top? Did you encounter any issues in a DIY job?
Old 05-22-2020, 12:40 PM

My tension straps were still good so I reused them. I replaced the headliner, and while I had the top assembly off the car I had the lift cylinders rebuilt.

I made a DIY on it you can find here. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...&postcount=114

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...&postcount=118

Here's a DIY on replacing the top canvas without removing the top assembly from the car.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...&postcount=129

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search