Active Head Light Failuire - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 05-21-2020, 07:33 PM
HerbP HerbP is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,884
Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Unless they pulled your bumper cover, they were not looking at the correct modules, they were most likely looking at the igniter for the headlight? This sounds confusing, so make a call & ask what they actually looked at?

They called the AL module the AFS module, it really make me wonder what kind of shop this is? Is this a shop that mainly works on German cars, or just any car. Based on the yellow AL module reading in the tree, it makes me think that the car is communicating with the module at least some. Does the power steering work at all, or is it like driving a car with manual steering? I would take the wiring diagram of the AL module, & trace down the wires to the plug. If the plug is damaged, I would start there 1st.

I would also call the previous owner & find out where he got all of these bad parts from, & make him own up for the repairs.

I had to turn my laptop upside down to read your diagnostic form.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #77  
Old 05-22-2020, 12:02 AM
Muzzman Muzzman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 122
Mein Auto:
They are supposed to be a German Car specialist.

This is the annoying thing, power steering works fine, car actually drives like a dream. I really enjoy driving it, i just need to get rid of all these errors to get it through the MoT. With all these errors it will fail and i won't be able to get it on the road.

I'm not even convinced the steering rack has failed! I actually feel like i've been had over, why do people have to be so rubbish in their chosen career, what's wrong with a bit of pride adn wanting ot to do the right thing. Garages are rubbish, dealers are crooks.........

In regards to the headlight, i had mentioned it when i dropped it off but when i picked it up they seem to had forgotten to look into it and made an off handed comment that the module in the headlight had failed.

I'm going to look at the module under the front carpet, i looked at a US website and it said the module was on the right hand side under the carpet, is this still the case for RHD drive cars such as mine in the UK? I may find this is a reconditioned unit too.

I'm going to call the garage and email the previous owner.

Luckily i don't really need the car, i think it may be a case of parking it up and spending my time learning and fixing it myself.



Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
Unless they pulled your bumper cover, they were not looking at the correct modules, they were most likely looking at the igniter for the headlight? This sounds confusing, so make a call & ask what they actually looked at?

They called the AL module the AFS module, it really make me wonder what kind of shop this is? Is this a shop that mainly works on German cars, or just any car. Based on the yellow AL module reading in the tree, it makes me think that the car is communicating with the module at least some. Does the power steering work at all, or is it like driving a car with manual steering? I would take the wiring diagram of the AL module, & trace down the wires to the plug. If the plug is damaged, I would start there 1st.

I would also call the previous owner & find out where he got all of these bad parts from, & make him own up for the repairs.

I had to turn my laptop upside down to read your diagnostic form.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-22-2020, 05:06 AM
645/333's Avatar
645/333 645/333 is offline
Michael
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,156
Mein Auto: BMW 640i SE Convertible
There are location differences between left and right hand cars, with these cars it is often difficult to know what has been repaired and how especially if it has had 3-5 owners. Many sadly repair the cars as cheap as possible, understandably given the ridiculous prices BMW charge. I imagine if you built one with parts from BMW complete it would be more expensive than a Veyron!!!
__________________

Always said I would go back to a 6 series
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 05-22-2020, 06:21 PM
HerbP HerbP is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,884
Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzman View Post
They are supposed to be a German Car specialist.

This is the annoying thing, power steering works fine, car actually drives like a dream. I really enjoy driving it, i just need to get rid of all these errors to get it through the MoT. With all these errors it will fail and i won't be able to get it on the road.

I'm not even convinced the steering rack has failed! I actually feel like i've been had over, why do people have to be so rubbish in their chosen career, what's wrong with a bit of pride adn wanting ot to do the right thing. Garages are rubbish, dealers are crooks.........

In regards to the headlight, i had mentioned it when i dropped it off but when i picked it up they seem to had forgotten to look into it and made an off handed comment that the module in the headlight had failed.

I'm going to look at the module under the front carpet, i looked at a US website and it said the module was on the right hand side under the carpet, is this still the case for RHD drive cars such as mine in the UK? I may find this is a reconditioned unit too.

I'm going to call the garage and email the previous owner.

Luckily i don't really need the car, i think it may be a case of parking it up and spending my time learning and fixing it myself.
The LM module is not the problem, it is 1 of the 2 modules on the headlight. You need to slide the front bumper cover off & start there. As far a the AL module, run a test on everything in the module. Once you find out if it is a voltage, or grounding issue, you can work from there. I think the steering rack is ok, just something simple. Knowing what the previous owner did would be very helpful. If he changed the module for the AL module, he probably did not program it to the car. This will make it not work properly. When the steering rack was installed they might not have bled the system properly. Since it is working, that is a good thing.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 05-22-2020, 06:28 PM
HerbP HerbP is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,884
Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Here is a link with the same problem.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...php?p=12683404
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 05-22-2020, 11:30 PM
Muzzman Muzzman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 122
Mein Auto:
Right this weekends job is to get to the AL module under the carpet, i have my trusty multi meter, not show how i actually test the module.

I have found this on ebay with the same part number as shown on realoem.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333604000648

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...37#32436772742

If i do end up buying this is it plug and play as same serial number or will i have to code?

On a positive note, Eurocarparts gave me a full refund on the GTX alternator.

Last edited by Muzzman; 05-22-2020 at 11:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 05-23-2020, 07:16 AM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,445
Mein Auto: 2016 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzman View Post
Right this weekends job is to get to the AL module under the carpet, i have my trusty multi meter, not show how i actually test the module.

I have found this on ebay with the same part number as shown on realoem.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333604000648

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...37#32436772742

If i do end up buying this is it plug and play as same serial number or will i have to code?

On a positive note, Eurocarparts gave me a full refund on the GTX alternator.
it will need to be coded to the car.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 05-23-2020, 07:52 AM
Muzzman Muzzman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 122
Mein Auto:
Alright chaps.

So i took the seat, trim etc out, lifted the carpet and it is absolutely sodden underneath. To the point that if i push my fingers into the foam water drips out.

Firstly can someone please check my pictures to make sure i'm removing the right bit.

If i am how on earth do i disconnect the plugs that go into the front.

I spoke to someone that is selling a module with the same serial number as mine shows on realoem and he reckons it should be plug and play.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200523_154516_1590245447636.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	893639   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200523_150941_1590245473465.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	893641   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200523_142940_1590245491214.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	893643  
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 05-23-2020, 11:06 AM
645/333's Avatar
645/333 645/333 is offline
Michael
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,156
Mein Auto: BMW 640i SE Convertible
The connector has a slide lock or lift lock , they unlock then you remove. You just might get away with drying out the module and connector, but do it slowly!!! check for corrosion , you need to find where the water is coming in, I would go for one of the rubber seals, a smoke test will help here. Cannot say it is the correct one, have a look at the parts catalogue /TIS to verify. Either way you will need to dry the module out and stop the water seeping in!!!
__________________

Always said I would go back to a 6 series

Last edited by 645/333; 05-23-2020 at 11:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 05-23-2020, 11:36 AM
Muzzman Muzzman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 122
Mein Auto:
I was wondering if my front drainage holes were blocked as per this

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/E64/Timms_...s_Clearing.htm

Thanks for the info, i will see if i can figure out the sliding mechanism
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 05-23-2020, 11:51 AM
HerbP HerbP is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,884
Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzman View Post
Alright chaps.

So i took the seat, trim etc out, lifted the carpet and it is absolutely sodden underneath. To the point that if i push my fingers into the foam water drips out.

Firstly can someone please check my pictures to make sure i'm removing the right bit.

If i am how on earth do i disconnect the plugs that go into the front.

I spoke to someone that is selling a module with the same serial number as mine shows on realoem and he reckons it should be plug and play.

Thanks
'

I am pretty sure you will need ISTA/P to program the module to your vin number. I would try & open the module up & dry it out if possible, sometimes that works? There should be some tabs to depress that will remove the wiring.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 05-23-2020, 11:55 AM
Muzzman Muzzman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 122
Mein Auto:
Soooo i've managed to get the bigger of the two connectors out by pulling a sliding bit across. Can't quite figure out the smaller of the two.

Any suggestions appreciated
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 05-23-2020, 11:58 AM
HerbP HerbP is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,884
Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzman View Post
I was wondering if my front drainage holes were blocked as per this

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/E64/Timms_...s_Clearing.htm

Thanks for the info, i will see if i can figure out the sliding mechanism
The drains marked on the front is where you need to look. The easy way to clear the drains is to peel back the front fender wells on both side, from the rear part of the fender well.. You will see a rubber grommet on the inner backside of the firewall. Just pull the plug out, flush the drain from the top side, then reinstall the rubber grommet after cleaning it. It is very fast & easy to clean this way. You can also make the opening at the bottom a little larger to keep it from plugging in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 05-23-2020, 12:05 PM
HerbP HerbP is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,884
Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzman View Post
Soooo i've managed to get the bigger of the two connectors out by pulling a sliding bit across. Can't quite figure out the smaller of the two.

Any suggestions appreciated
Most of the modules have a tab in the middle part of the harness. Depress the tab, then slide the wiring harness connector back. They are pretty much made the same way, so look at another module connection.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 05-24-2020, 12:25 AM
Muzzman Muzzman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 122
Mein Auto:
I think the control unit looks like it may have seen better days, what do you think?

Please see attached images.

Looks like something may have burnt out.
Time to buy the second hand unit?

Next pain sounds like a new unit may need recoding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200524_082021_1590305061061.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	893689   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200524_082025_1590305085543.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	893691   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200524_082033_1590305111740.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	893693   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200524_082052_1590305137291.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	893695  
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 05-24-2020, 09:27 AM
645/333's Avatar
645/333 645/333 is offline
Michael
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,156
Mein Auto: BMW 640i SE Convertible
certainly a RIP module, that should have blown a fuse as well????

Also +1 on the drains, I had forgotten???
__________________

Always said I would go back to a 6 series

Last edited by 645/333; 05-24-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 05-24-2020, 09:59 AM
HerbP HerbP is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,884
Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzman View Post
I think the control unit looks like it may have seen better days, what do you think?

Please see attached images.

Looks like something may have burnt out.
Time to buy the second hand unit?

Next pain sounds like a new unit may need recoding.
That module is toast! We need to find you a copy of ISTA/P, try the link you had earlier to see if there is one there. Tools32 can do the job, but you will have to figure out how to use it? I agree that that much damage should have blown a fuse somewhere? This also explains why the DME module never turned green. If you have not changed the IVM, it probably has a blown fuse in it.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 05-24-2020, 10:34 AM
Muzzman Muzzman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 122
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
That module is toast! We need to find you a copy of ISTA/P, try the link you had earlier to see if there is one there. Tools32 can do the job, but you will have to figure out how to use it? I agree that that much damage should have blown a fuse somewhere? This also explains why the DME module never turned green. If you have not changed the IVM, it probably has a blown fuse in it.
I've bought the module, the guy is posting it on Monday. He seemed quite knowledgeable, worked for BMW for 20 years. He said he believes my leak is most likely to be blocked sunroof drains, need to figure out how to unblock them too.

He also said i should take all my carpet out and dry it by taking the centre console out and cutting the carpet in two, i'm just not that comfortable doing that.

Is there a chance that once i've sorted out the LM module the head lights will work to? The guy seemed to think there is a chance

As for fuses, i used my multimeter and checked all the fuses in the glovebox and the boot and they all beeped at me indicating that none of them had blow. What is the IVM?

I'm pretty sure we don't have ISTA/P in the link but i'll check again.

I feel encouraged that we are getting somewhere!

As for the old module, it looks like there's actually been an electrical fire!!!

I really appreciate everyones help!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 05-24-2020, 11:01 AM
645/333's Avatar
645/333 645/333 is offline
Michael
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,156
Mein Auto: BMW 640i SE Convertible
One of the best things you can learn on these cars is where all the drains go, I would think that given the amount of water I would look around the front windscreen area, there are many threads on the items to remove and clean the drains. As for the Contop look at the top of the windscreen pillar both sides, there is a small drain hole, there a number in the rear, you need to have the top down to look at them, , not only do the tops of the drains get blocked but also the run out points at the bottom of the car, they fill with mud etc..
__________________

Always said I would go back to a 6 series
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 05-24-2020, 11:28 AM
Muzzman Muzzman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 122
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
As for the Contop look at the top of the windscreen pillar both sides, there is a small drain hole, there a number in the rear, you need to have the top down to look at them
Hi 645/333

Mine is a coupe with a big sunroof that doesn't slide back just goes up. Not a convertible.

Do you know how to unblock the sunroof drains?

I will of course have a hunt for the answer as well

Last edited by Muzzman; 05-24-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 05-24-2020, 11:48 AM
Muzzman Muzzman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 122
Mein Auto:
IVM - i just watched a Youtube video, the fella said at 88 from BMW just change it every 60,000 miles to be on the safe side especially if your car gets wet alot. Mines done 63,000 miles, shall i just buy one?

Does the IVM contain any fuses that relate to the LM module that was fried?
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 05-25-2020, 12:23 AM
Hsurf's Avatar
Hsurf Hsurf is offline
Super Moderator
Location: East Sussex
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,759
Mein Auto: E63 645ci
If it's the standard sunroof I think the drains are in the front corners of the sunroof channel but if it's the panorama roof I believe there are drains in all four corners, I'm not 100% on that so you'll need to check but this is what I've found from a quick look.

Fuses 5 and 6 in the glove box are the LM.
I don't believe the IVM has any fuses that directly relate to the LM but it will be indirectly connected, if the IVM supplied power to the LM and had blown you'd probably have no lights at all.
The fuse list here shows none for the LM via the IVM (near the bottom of the page).

https://knigaproavto.ru/shemy/en/bmw...x-diagram.html
__________________

Neal.
_________________
E63 645Ci
Toyota Hilux Surf 3.0
Honda CBR1100XX
_________________

Last edited by Hsurf; 05-25-2020 at 12:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 05-25-2020, 04:07 AM
Muzzman Muzzman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 122
Mein Auto:
I'm so sorry, i got my AL muddled up with my LM's. I mean't once i've sorted out my AL module could my lights also start working.

So i've had a productive morning, cleared out the drains in the wings, filled up with [email protected] is an understament 100% blocked with debris, the flaps wouldn't even open. Someone has lost the leaf collectors, do you think it might be worthwhile getting a couple on ebay?

Hsurf, i've checked fuse 4 for the active steering and it is not blown

I think it's a panoramic roof, it's pretty big

Last edited by Muzzman; 05-25-2020 at 04:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 05-25-2020, 05:13 PM
HerbP HerbP is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,884
Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzman View Post
IVM - i just watched a Youtube video, the fella said at 88 from BMW just change it every 60,000 miles to be on the safe side especially if your car gets wet alot. Mines done 63,000 miles, shall i just buy one?

Does the IVM contain any fuses that relate to the LM module that was fried?
The IVM controls all of the motor & tranny functions, not the lights. The LM is a totally different problem
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 05-25-2020, 05:19 PM
HerbP HerbP is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,884
Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzman View Post
I'm so sorry, i got my AL muddled up with my LM's. I mean't once i've sorted out my AL module could my lights also start working.

So i've had a productive morning, cleared out the drains in the wings, filled up with [email protected] is an understament 100% blocked with debris, the flaps wouldn't even open. Someone has lost the leaf collectors, do you think it might be worthwhile getting a couple on ebay?

Hsurf, i've checked fuse 4 for the active steering and it is not blown

I think it's a panoramic roof, it's pretty big
The drains on the top of the fenders are 2 drains, but the one causing you problems are the ones that drain the cowl panel compartments. Pull the back of the fender wells back, & look for the rubber grommet. Pull it out, & the passenger side one will probably dump a lot of water. Once the water stops, add some water to the topside compartment, & flush it out. Once all the trash & water has cleared, clean the rubber, cut a little off the bottom of the plug so it will drain better, then stick it back in. Test it once it is back in, to make sure the water drains.

PM Shawn to see if he has the link to ISTA/P. There are no screens missing in the top compartments, they are just open. The cowl panel that holds the cabin air filter is all that should be there.

Last edited by HerbP; 05-25-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.