00 740iL - Lots of white smoke - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 04-26-2010, 10:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 740AiL
Exclamation 00 740iL - Lots of white smoke

Hi, this is my first post and I'm about to lose my mind. I've had problems with white smoke from my tailpipe off and on since I had this car. The dealer told me it was the cyclone separator filter. At that point it was going to be about $2500 to replace the filter, but they advised (after calling the factory) to change the oil and add a quart of ATF to clean the filter. We did that and things were fine. I periodically continued to do it and everything was great. 2 years later...same problem, but I also seem to be losing oil like crazy. My wife said the check oil level light was on (ahd been for a couple of days) so I checked the oil and added 3 quarts last night. By the way, just had an oil change about a month ago. Anyhow...the dipstick was nearly dry tonight and the smoke is billowing out of the tailpipe like crazy. She said it was also riding rough on her drive home...slightly hesitating as it has been doing in low gears. We've also been replacing the #1 spark plug as it has been oily and had carbon build up. Any suggestions? The closest dealer to us is 60 miles and we've been leery of going to dealers other than the one we trust..who is now 400 miles away since we moved. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: Black BMW 728i Tiptronic
Sounds like you might be losing coolant into the exhaust system, I think you might find if you are losing oil aswell that your headgasket might be on it's way out. If you get stuck at the side of the road if it overheats, take the thermostat out and you will be able to drive it for 1000's of miles with the headgasket gone and it wont overheat but you wont have any heat in the car.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:12 PM

Talking White Tailpipe smoke cure!

The head gaskets were replaced a month or two ago. I finally got in touch with my former mechanic back East and he said that the 1999-2000 e38 engine will typically have this problem at least once. Apparently there is a tube in the intake manifold that either gets cracked, clogged or totally disconnected from the PCV valve assemble. When this happens the intake manifold fills with oil and is burned off which is why you get so much smoke coming from the tailpipe that you would think a pope had been elected! The remedy is to replace the tube and valve as well as check and maybe replace the spark plugs if they are fouled as well. Hope this post may help someone else in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 04:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97' 740iL
With that white smoke... I would check the intake gaskets as well. These are all routine maintenance repairs for these cars. I did mine last year as I had white smoke driving from San Diego to Tucson.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:20 AM

Talking

That's exactly what it was...in addition to a bad pcv valve. I've had both replaced and that problem is solved. It's also been running horribly rough but through this process I found out that my coils are shot as well. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97' 740iL
Good to go! Lets keep em' rollin'!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 745li
Are you using Mobile 1 oil? Only use mobile one. Sounds like a big problem.
Or blown head gasket. I would not drive it anymore till you figure it out.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Nathan Leroy Phenicie

Mein Auto: 330i bmw
White Smoke Solution

I own a 95 740iL and live overseas. The car ran great when I bought it but then started to put out billows of white smoke.... It was so bad that I couldn't drive it anywhere because people driving behind me would not be able to bear it. The car was also burning a lot of oil so I look through this forum and found posts saying it was an OSV (Oil Separator Valve). I bought it for around 100$ and had it installed. Immediately, the check engine light went off, the smoke stopped, and the car stopped burning oil.. it runs like a dream now and I wanted to thank everyone who is part of bimmerfest for their outstanding posts and information that they share with other!!!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)
Today's Posts Search