Rodents ate my TPM wires - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-16-2018, 11:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335
Rodents ate my TPM wires

Last week, I kept getting a TPM malfunction light on my e92. I tried resetting the TPM multiple times and nothing worked. The TPMS sensors were replaced 2 years ago, so I didn't think they were the problem. We took the car to our mechanic, who found rodents had eaten away the wires in the left front wheel well. They replaced the wire and fixed the problem. They recommended moth balls in the wheel well to deter the rodents. DIdn't think I had anything that desperate in my garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Another trick i use on any car that is gonna sit I put the blue rat poison. Never had anything chewed through. They got straight for the bait bc it smells like food and leave you wires alone. They chew them looking for food so if poisonous food is around they go for that then they go home and die donít stink up your car. Use double sided tape to hold it inside both inner fenders that way it stays n place. Also position it so it fit horizontally with the ground put it on the flat section right in front of the wheel. U will have to take the inner fender loose to put it on the inside u will have to do the same with moth balls. Iíve never heard of that trick. Iím gonna look into it.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2018, 01:09 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91 mobile beach locker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
Last week, I kept getting a TPM malfunction light on my e92. I tried resetting the TPM multiple times and nothing worked. The TPMS sensors were replaced 2 years ago, so I didn't think they were the problem. We took the car to our mechanic, who found rodents had eaten away the wires in the left front wheel well. They replaced the wire and fixed the problem. They recommended moth balls in the wheel well to deter the rodents. DIdn't think I had anything that desperate in my garage.
Had the repair done TWICE within one (1) month!

The Evil Woodland Critters may be stupid enough to think BMW wires are a delicious snack, but they aren't stupid enough to forget where they found the snack.

However, I was stupid enough to park the car in exactly the same spot.

Honda sells a rodent repelling, hot pepper flavored electrical tape. (From your Honda dealer ( PN 4019-2317), or cheaper from Amazon ($29.95).)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	823433   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	823435  
2008 E91 32K miles, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, V-1 inside rear headrest, Cocomats (with beach sand), $10 clutch stop mod, go-flat tires, plug kit and air pump.

Others include: 1998 Volvo V70 T5 5-speed 220K, original clutch.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Thatíll do it. Totally forgot about that tape. Seems like it should be standard equipment on all wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2018, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 09 328xi, Benz, Corvette
Guess what, If you have Comprehensive Insurance coverage, the rodent damage is a valid claim. I'm a retired licensed insurance adjuster and worked for one of the major companies for 20 years. I've handled a dozen or so. Not sure how extensive the damage/cost was, but consider making a claim post repair. Invoices from the repair shop should be enough to get paid less your deductible and the claim is a non chargeable type. Hope this helps offset the cost.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search