2019 X4 Haters - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X4 F26 (2015 - Current)

X4 F26 (2015 - Current)
The X4 is a baby X6 and shares a platform with the F25 X3. The F26 X4 is the ultimate combination of sporty and sports utility.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 09 Z4
2019 X4 Haters

I recently bought a fully loaded 19 X4 MSport 30i that my wife and I really like a lot. My wife who is very picky about a cars styling, and is always drawn to the sportier cars, fell in love with the X4.
I'm perplexed as to why all the reviewers and comments are so overwhelmingly negative regarding the styling. Personally I love the fact that it's not the typical square box like 90% of the other SUV style vehicles on the road, nor am I concerned about a few inches of rear headroom or a few cubic feet of cargo space. Why so much hate for such a great car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 12:43 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
#FakeNews click-bait
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Beauty and ugly are in the eye of the beholder.

We need the rear headroom and vertical space in the cargo area. So, we got an X3.

The X6 sells like hotcakes in Russia, India, and maybe the Middle East. The new X4 will likely do the same. The X2 is a hit with people who like a hatch, more head room, and don't want to get tagged as an SUV-driving hausfrau.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: Glacier Silver X4 M40i
I find the original post interesting. Personally, I would probably drive anything BMW produced, i.e. admitted Bimmer-fan-boy gearhead.
When it came time to replace my last 5-series (E60) a couple of years ago, I started working on my wife. Happy wife = happy family so I felt it was worthwhile to get her on board with the next Bimmer. We test drove a 4-series Grand Coupe and I was so-so about it. She hated it. On the way home, she reminded me of the red X4 we had gawked over two years prior at the Welt. That must have been in 2014 when the F26 first came out. Bingo, changed gears and went looking for an F26. Ended up with the custom ordered M40i in the sig file. About a year later, her E83 was getting old and I found her another F26 (2.8i) and bought that slightly used.
My point is that for some reason, woman seems to dig the X4's rather unique styling. I am OK with it too, but find the X6 to be too clumsy looking.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: X6
On my second X4M, 2017 first, NOW 2019. DEFINITELY improved and worth it. I also had 2 X6's.

This will be a keeper for awhile.

BTW: i just had a STEALTH HITCH installed. NICE product, invisible. Took a mechanic ~4.5 hours to complete.

Peter
Old 03-20-2019, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post
I recently bought a fully loaded 19 X4 MSport 30i that my wife and I really like a lot. My wife who is very picky about a cars styling, and is always drawn to the sportier cars, fell in love with the X4.
I'm perplexed as to why all the reviewers and comments are so overwhelmingly negative regarding the styling. Personally I love the fact that it's not the typical square box like 90% of the other SUV style vehicles on the road, nor am I concerned about a few inches of rear headroom or a few cubic feet of cargo space. Why so much hate for such a great car?
Yep. X4 (M40i) fits the ticket for us. Enough of an SUV for Utah snow and back-road exploring plus a fun car to drive. Was looking at the X3 to replace our 330i Sportwagon, but my wife liked looks of X4 better. The more I looked at and compared to X3, the better I liked. (Slightly wider track, lower center of gravity, same road clearance......) For us the advantages outweighed the reduced cargo capacity and we haul people only out to dinner. We don't haul big things and when we travel we want everything under the cargo cover anyway. I get it that the looks of the car are divisive, but I think it's underrated. So, according to the Genius folks, our X4 M40i Phytonic is supposed to be completed tomorrow. Probably 3 plus weeks yet before delivery. Can't wait.

--------------------------------------
2019 X4 M40i
2017 330i M Sport Wagon
Old 03-21-2019, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 09 Z4
Congrats!! I wish I could justify the extra $10k for the inline 6, but we still love our turbo 4 X4!!
Old 04-08-2019, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by winecracker View Post
Yep. X4 (M40i) fits the ticket for us. Enough of an SUV for Utah snow and back-road exploring plus a fun car to drive. Was looking at the X3 to replace our 330i Sportwagon, but my wife liked looks of X4 better. The more I looked at and compared to X3, the better I liked. (Slightly wider track, lower center of gravity, same road clearance......) For us the advantages outweighed the reduced cargo capacity and we haul people only out to dinner. We don't haul big things and when we travel we want everything under the cargo cover anyway. I get it that the looks of the car are divisive, but I think it's underrated. So, according to the Genius folks, our X4 M40i Phytonic is supposed to be completed tomorrow. Probably 3 plus weeks yet before delivery. Can't wait.
Doing the same. Walked into the dealer thinking X3 M40i but ended up with X4 instead. Less common in my area and definitely better looking. Picking up Saturday.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc1 View Post
Doing the same. Walked into the dealer thinking X3 M40i but ended up with X4 instead. Less common in my area and definitely better looking. Picking up Saturday.
Less common everywhere, evidently, according to the sales numbers. SUV coupes are hard for some people to get their arms around unless you need/want an SUV but don't either want or need a station wagon SUV. For us, with no kids, no dogs and no big-item hauling needs, the X4 is more practical given its slight driveability advantages. Of course, some just hate the look; personally, I like the looks better. To each their own, I guess (which is why BMW has so many model choices.) Congrats on your new X4. I pick mine up Wednesday.

--------------------------------------
2019 X4 M40i
2017 330i M Sport Wagon
Old 04-08-2019, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: E84
Quote:
Less common everywhere, evidently, according to the sales numbers. SUV coupes are hard for some people to get their arms around unless you need/want an SUV but don't either want or need a station wagon SUV. For us, with no kids, no dogs and no big-item hauling needs, the X4 is more practical given its slight driveability advantages. Of course, some just hate the look; personally, I like the looks better. To each their own, I guess (which is why BMW has so many model choices.) Congrats on your new X4. I pick mine up Wednesday.
Thank you. We also considered the 3 series wagon as we had a couple of them in the past but we like the ground clearance and easier ingress/egress. It's perfect height for us.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto: X4 M40i
Quote:
A perfect explanation of why I bought my X4 M40i last year. Coming from an X5, I was really surprised that the inside roominess of the latest X4 was very close to what I had on my X5 and the lower, wider stance with more HP just called to me. To say that it has some "slight improved drive-ability" is IMO an understatement. This thing is SO MUCH more fun to drive. I just put my 20" performance tires back on and got rid of the snows. For me, it really did put the fun back into driving for me.

Uncommon, yes, but I've noticed that my local dealer can't seem to keep any X4's on his lot for more than 1-2 week and they're gone. Best kept secret maybe?
Old 04-11-2019, 04:11 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw x1
It looks a bit odd from certain angles. There are chat rooms where everybody likes it and are impressed the first time they see it, others where all hate the way it looks ***x1f644;
I just bought one and the salesman and the delivery manager said it looks stunning ***x1f642;
Old 04-11-2019, 05:27 AM

Quote:
A perfect explanation of why I bought mine. Coming from an older X5, I just couldn't justify the way the latest X5(like many other models) continues to grow in size each year; much more than I need with my lifestyle today. The latest X3 is now about right, but just looked like a smaller,"meh" boxy version of what I had been driving for years. Plus the wife can't tell the difference between X3's and CX5's.

The X4, with interior room almost indistinguishable in size from my X5, it's longer, lower, wider stance and sporty roofline, along with more HP (M40I), that sleeker look just called to me. One test drive and I was hooked. WOW, does the new X4 put the fun back into my driving.

Different for sure but I will note that my local dealer now can't seem to keep any of the 2019 X4's on his lot for more than 1-2 weeks and they're gone.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:41 AM

Quote:
That's a perfect explanation of why I got my X4M40i. That lower,wider track than the X3's along with the wonderful 6 cylinder engine makes for, IMO, a perfect blend of utility and fun driving. It looks much smaller and sleeker on the outside than my older X5, but inside it feels like I have the same amount of room. Sport seats and the (greatly) improved I-Drive are a big plus. Goodbye to the boxy look for me.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4 V8
X4 M40i

Hi, had my M40i since July this yr. Flaminco Red ,21" wheels and all the M sport bits. What a car ,just love driving it. Talk about go its unreal! Done 6000 kilometers now not had one fault with it! Just a perfect size and not had a rear passenger complain about lack of headroom as some of the car magazine reporters go on about. I love the red color and note that almost all the advertising material use Flaminco Red in them!
Old 12-04-2019, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto: X4 M35i
Ahhh!! A topic close to my heart...

So many idiots out there that hate on SUV coupes, most without even owning a SUV (coupe or otherwise). Ironically they always compare them to the full SUV siblings.. (x3 vs x4, x5 vs x6, GLE/GLC SUV vs Coupe variants, on and on)... after 3 years of owning an x4, which I LOVE TO DEATH, I have an educated opinion on the topic (please keep in mind, this is from my perspective as an x4 + GLC non-coupe owner).

The facts

1) People buying SUV coupes, arent comparing them to traditional SUVs.. they compare them to traditional sports sedans, I owned 5 (yes, five) different 3 series (e46, e90) living downtown Montreal, probably the worst roads in a North American metropolis. I always enjoyed the thrill of thrust, i love feeling the car push me into my seat... I red line multiple times a day, every single day... but I still wanted a comfortable ride, where I don't need to worry about bending rims.

2) If you dislike them cause you think money vs value, you're not getting this... and in the words of sean combs, if you're a jealous mother ****er, you're just a weak mother ****er.

3) Those "rich" ****ers buying SUV coupes, aren't UPS drivers.. I don't give a **** about the size of the trunk, I care about how comfortable my ass feels... and yes, to laugh at lambo owners that can't go faster than 50km/h without scraping their stupid carbon bumpers with completely impractical ground clearance. My **** does 0-60 in 4.4 ALL YEAR ROUND... wearing Pirelli super sport summer rubber or Nokian Hakka 9s. I laugh at supercars in my town.

Again, if you are comparing a x3 to an x4, or a x5 to an x6... you don't know **** about cars! That's ok, but don't start judging things on perspective you don't understand!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1743.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	874517   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2948.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	874519  

Last edited by spucktacular; 12-04-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:12 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Iím strongly considering getting one. Probably a CPO. One question is the breaks. These have the m breaks. Iím wondering about the extra weight and break life.

What the average cost of replacing m breaks vs standard. I have an older 2011 335i sport coupe and have not had the privilege of this service. Iíve owned it for 3.5 years. And just now am I getting close to rear break replacement (according to the I drive). Iím not hard on my car and donít thrash it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2019, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: Glacier Silver X4 M40i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess22 View Post
Iím strongly considering getting one. Probably a CPO. One question is the breaks. These have the m breaks. Iím wondering about the extra weight and break life.

What the average cost of replacing m breaks vs standard. I have an older 2011 335i sport coupe and have not had the privilege of this service. Iíve owned it for 3.5 years. And just now am I getting close to rear break replacement (according to the I drive). Iím not hard on my car and donít thrash it.

"The weight of the brakes" - really? If you track your car, that MIGHT be of interest. But since you "don't trash it" the weight of the brakes is immaterial.

If you drive modern Bimmers moderately, the rear brakes do in fact wear out faster than the front - at least in my experience. Labor to change the two brake types would be the same. Additional cost of materials, also pretty close. Guessing $100 difference max (but too lazy to look it up, which is something you should do if $100 over 30,000 miles make a difference to you).
Old 12-07-2019, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
It was Just an inquiry if anyone had insight or experienced cost.

I meant the extra weight of the SAV as it relates to brake wear. I suspect M brakes have softer material (much like performance tires.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4 V8
Brakes on X4

Hi , my X4 M40i I don't think has very soft brake pads . I seldom get bad brake dust on the rims as I have on previous cars , and I have towed my 23 ft caravan at times with it. Never any hint of brake fade either. In fact a perfect car !!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X4 F26 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search