A/C Bearing replacement - is this possible ? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Sedan M Spec
A/C Bearing replacement - is this possible ?

Hi All

My X5 2007 4.8l has been making some noise which was diagnosed to the AC, when we removed the belt we could feel that the pulley was quite difficult to rotate and felt notchy which leads me to believe itís the bearing. The A/C works very well and has been re-gassed not long ago.

Iím assuming from the lack of information on the web that either these bearings cant be replaced or they are difficult.

Can anyone confirm if this is achievable or even better someone who has changed out the bearing.

Thanks

Dyll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
A/C compressors are commodities and not worth repairing, else there would be shops making money doing it.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 06-14-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:55 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadyllo View Post
Hi All

My X5 2007 4.8l has been making some noise which was diagnosed to the AC, when we removed the belt we could feel that the pulley was quite difficult to rotate and felt notchy which leads me to believe itís the bearing. The A/C works very well and has been re-gassed not long ago.

Iím assuming from the lack of information on the web that either these bearings cant be replaced or they are difficult.

Can anyone confirm if this is achievable or even better someone who has changed out the bearing.

Thanks

Dyll
Hmmm

1. Are you 100% sure it is the AC bearing?

2. You have 'regassed' the AC? Why? IMO if it has been losing gas, even very very slighly and currently is "blowing cold', you might as well replace it.

3. They dont sell bearings

4. You might replace the bearing (assuming such a thing is possible) and the thing fails in 3 months....

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
A/C compressors are commodities and not worth repairing, else there would be shops making money doing it.
I understand your point Doug but if a 25 dollar bearing and some elbow grease can fix the problem VS an extremely costly fix 1500 to 2500 then it may just be worth repairing or at least looking in to.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Hmmm

1. Are you 100% sure it is the AC bearing?

2. You have 'regassed' the AC? Why? IMO if it has been losing gas, even very very slighly and currently is "blowing cold', you might as well replace it.

3. They dont sell bearings

4. You might replace the bearing (assuming such a thing is possible) and the thing fails in 3 months....
Hi Ard, to answer your questions

1. A = No not 100% but between my mechanic and I this is what we have diagnosed as the most probable.

2. A = Yes it has been recently regassed as noted in my first comment. There is no problem with the Air conditioning so Iím not sure if this question is applicabale. It is only when the AC is not engaged spinning in free mode which relies on the bearing (which has partially ceased up = lots of noise and potential for the belt to snap and cause other problems).

3. A = Correct they do not sell the bearings but this does not mean you cant have it matched, pretty easy to take it to a bearing supplier to have matched.

4. A = Possibly true, but look it from the other side it could last 5 years and see me out, I estimate a bearing and labor around the 100 to 250 mark, for a new genuine compressor and installation I'm looking at around 2500 AUD.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:24 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
welp....sounds like a no brainer....Go get the bearing replaced for 100-250.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 06-14-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
welp....sounds like a no brainer....Go get the bearing replaced for 100-250.
I'm hoping its possible, could be made in a way that they cant be pulled apart.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: E70 X5 35d
This guy seems to have it done already:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-30-3-0si.html

BMW not likely to sell bearings, but there are plenty of manufacturers out there.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 X5 xDrive 35i Premium
It would be better to rebuild the compressor or have it rebuilt over just replacing a bearing but it might not be cost effective when they are available over the counter Check out www.rockauto.com you can get a remanufactured compressor for $330 or new for about $450. They also have a compressor kit that comes with the compressor, expansion valve and receiver drier desiccant element for $490

For those that like visuals... http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....434848&jsn=377

You may want to consider having a shop do it after seeing the video as you likely don't have the AC tools necessary to do a proper job. Maybe do the physical replacement then take it in for the rest.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: E70 X5 35d
That person in that thread has saved time and money taking the whole compressor off the car, thus not refiling the system. The price of a new bearing is nowhere comparable to using new or refurbished components. My only concern would be how reliable that bearing is since some might seem physically like a proper fit but will fail quickly. Also that work of hammering new bearing in place seems a bit wrong to me.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:50 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor2k View Post
Also that work of hammering new bearing in place seems a bit wrong to me.
Hammering a bearing is always wrong. That is what bearing presses are for, pressing the tight race into place. If one is too cheap/lazy for a bearing press then sunshine-warmth and dry-ice cold work.

I caught a guy hammering a 15-inch outer diameter, angular contact, really big Noise Tested 3 $50,000 bearing into place. Thereafter the bearing went into an induction oven in an oil bath, and the shaft was wrapped in dry-ice for 24 hours. The particular motor had three such bearings.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 X5 xDrive 35i Premium
Quote:
That person in that thread has saved time and money taking the whole compressor off the car, thus not refiling the system. The price of a new bearing is nowhere comparable to using new or refurbished components. My only concern would be how reliable that bearing is since some might seem physically like a proper fit but will fail quickly. Also that work of hammering new bearing in place seems a bit wrong to me.
When a bearing goes in a component like an AC compressor, alternator etc it's not always just the bearing that gets damaged. I understand the labor saving expense of not removing the unit and not disconnecting it and replacing a bearing in it with it in place. I just know from 40+ years of experience the cheap quick fix is most often a short term fix that ends up being added expense in the long haul.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:08 AM
Nuclear engineer

Just so. There is never time to do it right the first time, but always money to do it over.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
This guy seems to have it done already:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-30-3-0si.html

BMW not likely to sell bearings, but there are plenty of manufacturers out there.
Thanks Victor2k

Thats exactly what I'm looking for

Much appreciated !!
Old 12-29-2016, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i, 2008 X5 4.8i
Bearing size for the N62 AC compressor clutch

Well despite the naysayers I'm up for giving this a shot too. Did you determine the correct bearing size/type for the replacement?
Old 12-30-2016, 06:34 AM
BMW CCA 69606

Mein Auto: '15 435i '10 535i '08 X5
The link shows a clutch bearing, not a compressor bearing failure, so replacement is simple, compressor doesn't need to be disassembled and refrigerant circut doesn't even have to be opened. Replacing the compressor to fix this problem would be incredibly stupid. I was under the impression however that BMW had eliminated the clutch on E70's so I'm surprised to see this. Denso had come up with a way to reduce compressor displacement to zero thru a control valve in the compressor that eliminated the need for a clutch.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_beck View Post
Well despite the naysayers I'm up for giving this a shot too. Did you determine the correct bearing size/type for the replacement?
Hi Peter

We tried to remove the clutch from the compressor while still mounted to the engine but it was to ceased, I gave up trying to remove this due to coming into the hot period and leaving the wife and kids without aircon.
But it's certainly all achieve able, you just need to take it to a bearing place and get them to match.

Cheers

Dyll

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search