BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Instrument Cluster Hidden Test Functions

45K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  super19021902 
#1 ·
Not sure if this has been posted here before. Just came across this video:

#3 · (Edited)
I believe it's the last 5 digits of your VIN (in your case, with a VIN of "23456" the total would be 20. you add the 2+0 again for a code of "2" (note: it might have been "20" but i think I added the last 2 digits again to come up with a single digit number). Below is another description someone posted months ago. I used it to reset my mileage cal factor from 1000 to 1045 (Car used to over-estimate my mileage by 4.5%). I'm now within .1 mpg of the actual value....

Trip computer true MPG adjustment
Does your trip computer over estimate your true MPG?
If so, I found this piece of information on another forum that could help:
You could if you wanted use the correction factor in the hidden menu to make the quoted MPG the same as the actual MPG.
here's how:
1. Hold down the odometer reset button and turn the ignition on by pushing start/stop button.
2. Release the odometer reset button, and you should see a menu of 4 items on the dashboard. From here on, use the odo-reset button to advance to the next entry through a short press, and to select through a long press.
3. Choose the one that says Unlock through the above, which will take you to a passkey screen. Your passkey is the sum of the last 5 digits of your VIN. Increment the two-digit number until you get to it, and with the long press of the odo button, select it.
4.then scroll down to correction factor and modify it from 1000 to whatever you require

My car claimed more mpg than it was actually delivering by about 6%. I changed the 1000 to 1060 and it now seems about right.
It did take me a few goes at getting it right , but I much prefer seeing the correct MPG displayed.
If your trip computer reads higher than true figures worked out, make the correction over 1,000. If your trip under reads (very rare!!!), make the correction number under 1,000

#7 · (Edited)
Digital Intrument Cluster

Hey guys,

This is really helpful, but unfortunately its not working for me. I have a 535 2013 model which has an upgraded cluster instead of the normal analog i have a Multifunctional digital cluster display. There when I hold the button it gives me all the information but does not allow me to unlock it to get further details about the status of the car. Is there a different procedure I have to go through in order to get to unlock it with the use of VIN?

#8 ·
Hey guys,

This is really helpful, but unfortunately its not working for me. I have a 535 2013 model which has an upgraded cluster instead of the normal analog i have a Multifunctional digital cluster display. There when I hold the button it gives me all the information but does not allow me to unlock it to get further details about the status of the car. Is there a different procedure I have to go through in order to get to unlock it with the use of VIN?

Some models require you add the last 5 digits not 6 to unlock the hidden features
ie if your last 5 digits of VIN is 260251 you enter 8 to unlock

#9 · (Edited)
Returning to older post, I have the same problem, mine F10 530d xDrive (2015) has digital cluster & hidden menu can be accessed by long pressing the odometer reset button without entering any code. Some data are shown in engine speed indicator area, but I think there are much less of them than in analog cluster. I had a E60 530d xDrive and there was much more options there.
Does anybody know whether there is some other datas to be shown after entering the unblocking code. I do not know even where to enter the code in my digital cluster...:dunno:
Thanks for any ideas....

#14 ·
I have a 2016 year 530d with multifunction / all digital display. I, too, cannot find where the 'Unlock' menu item is, so I can't enter the "sum of last 5 digits of VIN" and can't see any data on battery voltage.

Did anyone ever know how to access the hidden menus on cars with multifunction display?

#12 ·
I don't think so. In the coding forum I found that other models have a setting to correct the speedo (which reads 3-5% over by design) but it doesn't apply to the F10. You could use taller tires, like 45-series instead of 40-series, which would correct the speedo but then underreport the odometer and alter the handling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.