Now non garaged - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320kplus View Post
I see. Question; Does it need to be clay barred first before any of these products are applied? Just wondering if since now it will live outside, if that is the jumping off point...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Need to be clayed? No. Claying the paint will give you a better surface for applying whatever protection you choose, allowing it to last longer. Depending on the hardness of the clearcoat, you may need to polish to remove any marring after using the clay bar.
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2019, 01:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 e39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
Need to be clayed? No. Claying the paint will give you a better surface for applying whatever protection you choose, allowing it to last longer. Depending on the hardness of the clearcoat, you may need to polish to remove any marring after using the clay bar.
Roger that. Thanks again

Old 11-15-2019, 06:51 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2017 750ix 2019 X3 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320kplus View Post
I see. Question; Does it need to be clay barred first before any of these products are applied? Just wondering if since now it will live outside, if that is the jumping off point...

Claying would depend on the condition of your paint before application. The better the condition the better the coating will be. This is true for any coating, from wax to ceramic. Certainly the car needs to be absolutely clean but prep could be polish as opposed to clay. You will want to do this indoors or if outdoors on a day when there is little or no wind to blow stuff around. Having a good detailer do it won't cost that much more than the cover you were thinking about. My new G12 just got Xpel ceramic and it is guaranteed for four years, so if you do the division, the annual cost is not that bad.
'19 G01 X3 30
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: 3 (F31, others), 5 (E39, E61 and F10), 7 & 8 series (twice!) BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, Alfa Romeo GTV, MGB, Toyota Celica, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo, Audi A6, A4, and others (even a Nash Rambler)(yes I am old )

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department
Today's Posts Search