HELP | Just Bought a e66 2003 BMW 745Li (BEAUTIFUL) but loads of Engine Errors - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745 Li
HELP | Just Bought a e66 2003 BMW 745Li (BEAUTIFUL) but loads of Engine Errors

Hi Bimmerfest! My wife and I are happy to now be a part of the Bimmer family (first BMW ever)

We recently purchased a nice 2003 BMW 745Li in and out quite clean, 50k miles, all electrical stuff inside seems to work (except the trunk which I'll get to soon), but it has a lot of engine code errors. I got if for $2300 cash.

I have quite a small budget, and I am willing to do everything DIY. Any help would be SOOO appreciated!

SYMPTOMS:
- engine light, park brake light, seat belt lights on
- idle when driving is a bit rocky sometimes, not all the time, when I put in park it calms down
- infrequently white smoke blows from the exhaust, especially when reversing
- when pressing gas a bit hard, "Engine Malfunction increased engine loads may damage catalytic converter" message comes on. If I drive under 2k RPM no message ever comes up
- sluggish acceleration
- trunk opens and closes electronically but will not stay open

JOBS DONE SO FAR:
- replaced both CCV (symptoms persisted)

ENGINE CODES:
*I am using FOxwell NT510 to diagnose*

274E - DME misfore
2747 - DME misfire cylinder 3
27CD - DME tank leak diagnosis
2760 - DME secondary air system bank 1
2761 - DME secondary air system bank 2

5D5C - ARS pressure build up, rear axle faulty
5D66 - ARS predrive check

6030 - EMF mechanical travel
6043 - EMF DSC enable abort
6046 - EMF DSC enable

9EBC - SMBF rapid heating field seat cushion
9EBE - SMBF residual heating field seat cushion
9EC6 - SMBF active seat pressure switch

9E66 - SMFA active seat pressure switch

9C64 - IHKA automatic recirculated air control AUC sensor

A158 - PM battery disconnection (closed circuit current)

9ACC - SFZ control unit fault

9D14 - SNE emergency siren

Any suggestions on how to clear any of these codes? I love the car and would be willing to put in the sweat, but if the majority advises to just sell it, I will.

Thank you again! All the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 11:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 730i E65
Even before seeing the codes I would have guessed on cylinder misfire. And your codes confirm this. This can be because of may things but most likely would be that changing spark plugs and or ignition coils will do the trick to get the engine running good.

I would check first how the spark plugs that misfire looks. If it is covered in oil that could be a cause for them failing. This was the case in my 730i. And when I changed the plug and coil the car ran fine again.

A misfire can be due to some other issues as well unfortunately like low fuel pressure or bad compression so not 100% guarantee.

One easy way to diagnose that is to switch around the plugs and coils and see if the codes follow.

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbelito View Post
Even before seeing the codes I would have guessed on cylinder misfire. And your codes confirm this. This can be because of may things but most likely would be that changing spark plugs and or ignition coils will do the trick to get the engine running good.

I would check first how the spark plugs that misfire looks. If it is covered in oil that could be a cause for them failing. This was the case in my 730i. And when I changed the plug and coil the car ran fine again.

A misfire can be due to some other issues as well unfortunately like low fuel pressure or bad compression so not 100% guarantee.

One easy way to diagnose that is to switch around the plugs and coils and see if the codes follow.

Thank you so much How would I know which cylinder is #3? I tried looking for a e65 engine diagram but to no avail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosimonh View Post
Thank you so much How would I know which cylinder is #3? I tried looking for a e65 engine diagram but to no avail.
There you go

Old 11-12-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
There you go

Awesome! Thank you so much Will work on this today and follow up.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:20 PM

From e90post

The code 27cd relates to the DMTL system. This is the diagnostic module tank leakage fault. This is a test that is run to check the air tightness of the purge system for the fuel tank and carbon canister. This fault will set when a problem in the system arises.

What we use at the dealer is a test plan that activates the DMTL test and can determine if there is a leak in the system or if the pump itself may be faulty. The other item may be the purge valve stuck open also contributing to the mixture fault for bank 2.

If an air leak is determined in either the intake system or the fuel DMTL system the best course of action is to perform a smoke test of these systems to locate the source of the leaks.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:23 PM

Code 2761

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Old 11-12-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
From e90post

The code 27cd relates to the DMTL system. This is the diagnostic module tank leakage fault. This is a test that is run to check the air tightness of the purge system for the fuel tank and carbon canister. This fault will set when a problem in the system arises.

What we use at the dealer is a test plan that activates the DMTL test and can determine if there is a leak in the system or if the pump itself may be faulty. The other item may be the purge valve stuck open also contributing to the mixture fault for bank 2.

If an air leak is determined in either the intake system or the fuel DMTL system the best course of action is to perform a smoke test of these systems to locate the source of the leaks.

Could issues with the MAF or sleeve behind it cause these issues, despite me not getting errors for them? I do not know how to determine where an air leak would be, however I will look into how to do a smoke test soon.

Thank you for the feedback!
Old 11-12-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Code 2761

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Thank you! I read through it and found this primary solution (I think):

"Find out what side is bank #2. And you just do a pouring and soaking on these cylinders only."

Not sure what to pour and how to soak ***x1f613;

Thanks again, though! I do appreciate the help ***x1f642;
Old 11-13-2019, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 750i
What shape is the battery in as well as your chassis grounds? Just like all newish cars regardless of marque, sufficient battery current is paramount to clean operation. Low current (note that I say current and not voltage albeit voltage is also important obviously) and insufficient grounding drives all the ECUs in the system crazy and can cause multiple errors, seemingly unrelated in some cases, to be posted. First thing I would do, would be to make sure the battery is up to spec, properly registered, and that your grounding is up to snuff. Then clear all the codes and see what happens and what might come up.

Good Luck,

Bill

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
745, 745 li, bmw, e65, e66

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search