2014 BMW X3 Full Acceleration on its own causes crash - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)

X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
The second generation X3 added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 11-28-2017, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: X3 , 640D
2014 BMW X3 Full Acceleration on its own causes crash

Hi All,

I am just wondering has any one else come across this problem. While stopped in traffic, my 2014 X3 accelerated of its own accord and crashed into another car. I have dash cam footage of the accident for interested parties to see. I have had little or no satisfaction from the main dealer who were an absolute disgrace in handling the situation. Thankfully no one was hurt - it could have been far worse as I had both of my kids were in the back at the time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2017, 03:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 550i MT
This guy has analyzed these unintended accelerations quite well:

http://www.suddenacceleration.com/

his ebook contains all the details about the research.
1998 BMW 528i MT @ 231k //sold
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 11-28-2017, 03:38 PM

If you don't have a chance to read his book,
the research found that the problem lies in the control loop that controls the vehicle's speed. A sudden voltage dip/spike can influence one or more parts that are in the control loop making the loop gain infinite or zero and causing the unintended acceleration.
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2017, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: X3 , 640D
Thanks acoste

Thanks Acoste
I wasn't sure of where to turn to - I will keep you posted
Old 11-28-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.fitz View Post
Thanks Acoste
I wasn't sure of where to turn to - I will keep you posted
Your welcome. Sorry for your accident.
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 11-28-2017, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E93 335i & 14 X3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoste View Post
This guy has analyzed these unintended accelerations quite well:

http://www.suddenacceleration.com/

his ebook contains all the details about the research.
Disclaimer: I've not read your link, But I thought these cases of unintended acceleration in fact are user errors pretty much all the time? The Audi ones it turned out were doctored by 60 Minutes by drilling a hole in the transmission and pumping air in it, and Toyota's recently, turned out to be mats getting stuck under the gas pedal. Most other cases are people hitting the gas by mistake instead of the brake.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:47 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoste View Post
If you don't have a chance to read his book,
the research found that the problem lies in the control loop that controls the vehicle's speed. A sudden voltage dip/spike can influence one or more parts that are in the control loop making the loop gain infinite or zero and causing the unintended acceleration.
Gobbeldygoop!
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Disclaimer: I've not read your link, But I thought these cases of unintended acceleration in fact are user errors pretty much all the time? The Audi ones it turned out were doctored by 60 Minutes by drilling a hole in the transmission and pumping air in it, and Toyota's recently, turned out to be mats getting stuck under the gas pedal. Most other cases are people hitting the gas by mistake instead of the brake.
There are a lot more cases than these. Toyota's problem wasn't the mats. There was a case when all the mats were in the trunk when the incident happened.

search for the word "trunk" here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E...ehicle_recalls

there are quite many from Tesla. one of them drove away when parked.
one example here
https://electrek.co/2017/04/04/tesla...-acceleration/
1997 Saab 9000 //sold

Last edited by acoste; 11-28-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Gobbeldygoop!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_theory
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 11-29-2017, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 235i + X3 35
Data

Quote:
Hi All,

I am just wondering has any one else come across this problem. While stopped in traffic, my 2014 X3 accelerated of its own accord and crashed into another car. I have dash cam footage of the accident for interested parties to see. I have had little or no satisfaction from the main dealer who were an absolute disgrace in handling the situation. Thankfully no one was hurt - it could have been far worse as I had both of my kids were in the back at the time
When BMW analyzed the data from your vehicle's control unit what did they find? Did you have the data independently analyzed by your insurance company to see what happened?

Without data analysis there are always going to be question marks.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
When BMW analyzed the data from your vehicle's control unit what did they find? Did you have the data independently analyzed by your insurance company to see what happened?

Without data analysis there are always going to be question marks.
Yes, we are all looking for the data. However in most cases electronic glitches don't leave a proof. If they do, the information becomes highly confidential. And car makers always blame the drivers first.
Toyota made a cover story with the floor mats. Tesla always says the log files show the gas pedal was fully pressed while drivers insist it wasn't.
BMW has also had couple of unintended acceleration cases where drivers are sure they didn't make any mistakes.

Here is an example from Toyota's behavior:

"The vehicle had been towed to a local Sevierville car dealer's lot and secured for Mr. Yon's inspection. He seemed to arrive with the pre-conceived idea to sell to us, that it was a floor mat problem."

"After insisting it was "probably" floor mats, Mr. Yon issued his final report and put the blame on the floor mats.
These floor mats were a heavy gauge rubber mat placed on top of the summer mats by the dealer. It would have taken a magic trick for this mat to turn up enough or slide forward enough to cause this SUA.
The report was issued on May 2, 2007. In it Mr. Yon claimed to have performed a test with the floor mat in our presence that would show cause for the floor mat to be blamed.
This was never demonstrated to us or shown to us that it could ever happen accidently."

quoted from here:
https://oversight.house.gov/wp-conte....Testimony.pdf
1997 Saab 9000 //sold

Last edited by acoste; 11-29-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Similar Experience

Quote:
Hi All,

I am glad you and your family are okay. I encountered a very similar frightening incident last Friday (1/12/18). I was parking my 2011 X3 on the rooftop lot (4 stories high) of my office building. It was a foggy, rainy morning as I pulled into a space VERY slowly. My foot was on the brake, I was at a complete stop and my car suddenly revved up, lunged forward up onto a concrete curb and slammed into a 4 ft. tall cement retaining wall. The force ripped a huge section of the wall away from the roof and my tire was over the edge. The broken wall prevented my car from going over. Foot still on the brake, I turned the engine off and was able to get out safely. I had witnesses who could not believe what they saw. The car is totaled and the computer data is now with BMW NA for an impending inspection. I am still shocked at what happened and waiting to hear back.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 235i + X3 35
Independent Review

I would try and get a copy of that data and get it to an independent expert who might also be able to assess what happened.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
I would try and get a copy of that data and get it to an independent expert who might also be able to assess what happened.
Great suggestion, thank you. I plan to do that.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 X3
The brakes usually have the equiv horsepower of like 600 - 700, from what I've read, and the brakes will easily overcome the engine, esp at low speeds.

What happens if you push your brakes and accelerator at the same time? I think most cars today also default to the brakes anyway in that case, don't they?

Old 01-29-2018, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 X3
Great write up on this here. Trying to figure out how in stopped traffic, if OP had foot on brake, how it would be possible for the X3 to surge forward and crash.
https://jalopnik.com/5509733/every-b...-in-its-brakes

In response to Toyota's unintended acceleration debacle, BMW engineers decided to calculate the equivalent horsepower of a 3-series' brakes: roughly 2,500 HP. That's right, every 3-Series ships with more than twice the power of a Bugatti Veyron.

The engineers arrived at the 2,500 HP number after measuring the car's 60-0 MPH deceleration time (2.5 seconds), then calculating how much horsepower would be required to achieved equivalent acceleration (0-60 MPH in 2.5 seconds). This is obviously an over-simplified number that exists merely in the calculations on an engineer's note pad - the rear-wheel drive 3-series would need extensive modifications to transfer that accelerative power then send it to the ground - but it does demonstrate exactly how much more powerful the brakes are over the engine, which, in the case of this Bimmer, makes between 200 and 300 HP.

What's this mean for unintended acceleration? Even if you couldn't shift the car into neutral, even if the throttle was stuck wide open, even if you couldn't turn the engine off, you could still stop the car by using the brakes, which can easily overpower the engine.

Think this only applies to expensive cars from Germany and not cheap cars from Japan? The 2010 Toyota Prius's 60-to-0 time is only a couple hundredths of a second off the BMW's figure, still giving it huge equivalent horsepower numbers from its brakes.

Why are BMW engineers crunching numbers in response to a Toyota problem? They're likely just as convinced as we are that the entire situation is caused by human error and, because of that, it could effect them too. In response to the threat of enormous lawsuits, they're quietly building a stockpile of evidence so they can conduct a sort of legal blitzkrieg against any potential aggressors.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto:
Sudden acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilisue View Post
I am glad you and your family are okay. I encountered a very similar frightening incident last Friday (1/12/18). I was parking my 2011 X3 on the rooftop lot (4 stories high) of my office building. It was a foggy, rainy morning as I pulled into a space VERY slowly. My foot was on the brake, I was at a complete stop and my car suddenly revved up, lunged forward up onto a concrete curb and slammed into a 4 ft. tall cement retaining wall. The force ripped a huge section of the wall away from the roof and my tire was over the edge. The broken wall prevented my car from going over. Foot still on the brake, I turned the engine off and was able to get out safely. I had witnesses who could not believe what they saw. The car is totaled and the computer data is now with BMW NA for an impending inspection. I am still shocked at what happened and waiting to hear back.
I had a similar problem with a 2020 X3. The car suddenly accelerated as if taken over by some supernatural force. I was stopped with my foot on the brake when it just revved like it had a mind of its own and took off. I crashed but got out without an injury though quite shaken up. Thankfully there was no car or person in my path. I am now dealing with significant repairs to a building while the car did not suffer much damage. Unbelievable. I have security camera video showing the brakes were on all the time. I am still waiting to hear back from insurance.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto:
This happened to me in 2013 with a 2011 X3. I had a security video showing my brakes were on the entire time. It was a frightening experience, pulling into a parking spot and it took off and hit the side of a building. My insurance company classified it as a mechanical issue and that I was not at fault.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 x3 M-sport 3.5i
Were these unintended acceleration failures seen in cars with four or six cylinder engines, or both?

Phil G.

2016 BMW 340i M-Sport xDrive Mineral Grey/Oyster
2016 Porsche Boxster S (6MT) GT Silver/Black (SOLD 8/25/18)
2013 BMW x3 M-sport 3.5i x-drive Space Grey/Black
2009 BMW 328i xDrive Space Grey/Oyster (TRADED)
Old 01-30-2020, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto:
Mine was a 4 cylinder.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
accelerates on its own, acceleration issue, acceleration problem, bmw, causes crash, full acceleration on its own, x3

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search