Bimmerfest.com News: New Takata Airbag Recalls Announced Today - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW News

BMW News
Get the latest BMW headlines, news, and rumors and discuss the future of BMW with other BMW enthusiasts!

Old 01-16-2020, 05:55 PM   #1
New Takata Airbag Recalls Announced Today

Jon Shafer
Bimmerfest Founder

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by Jon Shafer

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RECALLS.png
Views:	257
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	878849  

No-Haggle/Internet Special Pricing NEW BMW SALES email me for a quote: [email protected]
This article has been viewed 383 times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 06:41 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I don't understand. 20V-016 and 20V-017 Description are previously seen. Is this another recall, to replace, for instance, my already recalled and replaced Driver's Front Air Bag Module?

I do not plan on having the Passenger's Front Air Bag Module replaced until my satisfaction is guaranteed against poor workmanship and consequent problems. The procedure is very involved and dealer literature says it'll be done in an hour. Not properly on an X5!
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 01-16-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:43 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp + E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
I don't understand. 20V-016 and 20V-017 Description are previously seen. Is this another recall, to replace, for instance, my already recalled and replaced Driver's Front Air Bag Module?

I do not plan on having the Passenger's Front Air Bag Module replaced until my satisfaction is guaranteed against poor workmanship and consequent problems.

Doug, all I know, is this showed up in my dealer feed dated today and states new.

No-Haggle/Internet Special Pricing NEW BMW SALES email me for a quote: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 06:45 PM
Nuclear engineer

This is gonna be interesting. Thanks.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:47 PM
Nuclear engineer

I have copied and closely read SI B65 03 20 and note the requirement for two technician signatures at the checklist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B65 03 20
Air Bag Generator Replacement E7x

Conditions:

The Generator replacement should always be carried out by the same Technician(s)
Make sure your hands and clothes are clean and free of foreign objects
Only one vehicle at a time should have this work performed
This repair should be done from beginning to end without interruption
Interruptions of any kind are not permitted

Safety:

Notes on Electro Static Discharge (ESD) must be observed. (See REP-RAGRP61-6135ESD)
Do not measure or touch the electrical terminals on the Generator
Handle Generator with caution
If the Generator should fall or be damaged it must be replaced
Do not allow any foreign objects to enter the Air Bag cavity while the Generator is removed

Working Position:

Whenever possible do not place your body above the airbag

Working Location:

It is recommended to do this work in a location away from other personnel and vehicles (for example in a separate room or the parts department)
A clean workbench with ESD protection is necessary
A soft blanket is needed to position underneath the Air Bag to avoid damage to the cover
The work area should be dust free
Make sure there are no open cabinets above the workbench to avoid any foreign objects from falling into the Air Bag cavity

Exclusion Criteria: In the following cases the complete Air Bag assembly must be replaced:

Threaded bolts are damaged
Threaded bolts are bent or corroded
The Generator cannot be removed from the Air Bag without excess force
If there is a gap between the Generator & Air Bag that is not closed up when tightening the nuts

Order Acceptance:

The Air Bag cover & steering wheel should be inspected in the presence of the customer prior to repair
Record the condition of the Air Bag on the Repair Order

Checklist:

Checklist should have all boxes checked and signed by the 1st and 2nd Technician.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 01-18-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:23 PM
Nuclear engineer

Just went by the BMW USA recall site to see that has not been updated, that it still recognizes the airbag recall of March 2019

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW News
Today's Posts Search