BMW Connected App Problem - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 01-20-2020, 03:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 X3 28d, 2016 535d
BMW Connected App Problem

My 2016 535d is currently at the dealer as it attempts to deal with a problem involving the functions of the BMW Connected app (i.e. vehicle locator, horn, lights, ventilation etc.). After discovering no error codes, the dealer contacted various technical offices within BMW USA seeking assistance to the problem. Anyway, one of these offices advised that this problem was about three-weeks old and is currently without a solution. That offices claims there are several thousand service tickets on the issue and a resolution has yet to be found.

Being a skeptic, I like to verify that BMW USA's claim (of a massive problem with no solution) is genuine or possibly just a way to blow off my dealer (and, in turn, the customer).

In short, is any F10 owners having problems accessing their respective car via the BMW Connected app and activating the vehicle;s various features? I would think that this would be easy enough to verify.

As an aside, I also own a 2016 X3 with the same BMW Connect features. Oddly enough that vehicle functions perfectly with the same app on the same phone. Therefore, I am inclined to think it is not a problem with my phone and all 2016 BMWs with the feature.

Any feedback for the readers of this forum would be helpful. So thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2020, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 535iX M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
My 2016 535d is currently at the dealer as it attempts to deal with a problem involving the functions of the BMW Connected app (i.e. vehicle locator, horn, lights, ventilation etc.). After discovering no error codes, the dealer contacted various technical offices within BMW USA seeking assistance to the problem. Anyway, one of these offices advised that this problem was about three-weeks old and is currently without a solution. That offices claims there are several thousand service tickets on the issue and a resolution has yet to be found.

Being a skeptic, I like to verify that BMW USA's claim (of a massive problem with no solution) is genuine or possibly just a way to blow off my dealer (and, in turn, the customer).

In short, is any F10 owners having problems accessing their respective car via the BMW Connected app and activating the vehicle;s various features? I would think that this would be easy enough to verify.

As an aside, I also own a 2016 X3 with the same BMW Connect features. Oddly enough that vehicle functions perfectly with the same app on the same phone. Therefore, I am inclined to think it is not a problem with my phone and all 2016 BMWs with the feature.

Any feedback for the readers of this forum would be helpful. So thanks in advance.
It doesn't work for me either. I can lock the car, etc. but it won't connect to gather current vehicle info. Used to work, but hasn't now in some time.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powercat View Post
It doesn't work for me either. I can lock the car, etc. but it won't connect to gather current vehicle info. Used to work, but hasn't now in some time.
If you mean stuff like DTE and how much gas is left, that requires the phone to be plugged-in. I just tried the locate vehicle function and it failed saying I had to turn on GPS in the car, which was already selected. I deselected it then reselected it and the app found my car just fine (in my garage). I also get the weather on the split screen side.

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 04:33 AM

I never use the weather feature, but my dealer tells me that it currently functions on my car. Also, I have tried deselecting and selecting the car's GPS feature and still could not locate my vehicle. As for locking/unlocking, flashing lights, honking horn, none of that functions using the Connected app. Despite my cynicism, BMW may indeed be telling the truth about this problems with its connected app. Although it seems odd to have a problem like this without a solution.

Thanks to both of you for your feedback.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:55 AM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 18 X5d , 14 535xd, 00 MZ3
I connect fine with the f15, but cannot connect with the f10 and have not. I will try to connect and deselect. The one feature that I was hoping to leverage was the ventilation during hot summer days.
'07X3si now in other hands,
'14 535d XDrive,
'18 X5 35d In break-in...
Old 01-21-2020, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
Mine works fine as of this morning - at least as well as it ever did (limited lock/unlock/ventilate/horn/lights only). 2014 535dx and iphone 7.

PS. What is the "weather on the split screen side"? I don't see anything about weather in the ios app.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 01 M3 Cabrio, 15 535i
Quote:
If you mean stuff like DTE and how much gas is left, that requires the phone to be plugged-in.
By plugged in do you mean to the car? I've never been able to get that feature to work. Seems like a useless feature if I need to have the phone in the car.
My wife is on her way to work right now. I'll test the other features and report back. 2015 535iX and iPhone 8plus.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
I never use the weather feature, but my dealer tells me that it currently functions on my car. Also, I have tried deselecting and selecting the car's GPS feature and still could not locate my vehicle. As for locking/unlocking, flashing lights, honking horn, none of that functions using the Connected app. Despite my cynicism, BMW may indeed be telling the truth about this problems with its connected app. Although it seems odd to have a problem like this without a solution.

Thanks to both of you for your feedback.
I assume you have an active subscription.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jck66 View Post
Mine works fine as of this morning - at least as well as it ever did (limited lock/unlock/ventilate/horn/lights only). 2014 535dx and iphone 7.

PS. What is the "weather on the split screen side"? I don't see anything about weather in the ios app.
It isn't an iOS app. Look under split screen content and there's an option for BMW widgets, or something like that. It requires a subscription to the ConnectedDrive service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVR Dragon View Post
By plugged in do you mean to the car? I've never been able to get that feature to work. Seems like a useless feature if I need to have the phone in the car.
My wife is on her way to work right now. I'll test the other features and report back. 2015 535iX and iPhone 8plus.
Yes, to get access to the fuel remaining and DTE the phone has to be tethered to the car via either the USB cable or snap-in adapter. Without a direct connection the BMW App has no idea what that information is as the car doesn't transmit that info.

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Old 01-22-2020, 04:41 AM

Mein Auto: 520d
Mine also works mostly not. I can sometimes see mileage and fuel level on the "new" app, but only when initially connected in the morning via usb, if disconnected time that day... not working. The old app however always shows... i think the app and bmw online s#cks.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:56 AM

I was not aware of the "fuel remaining" and "DTE" functions if plugged by USB into phone. However, if these readings require a physical connection to vehicle, what's the value of this info versus similar readings from car's display? Obviously DTE can be easily seen and a quick check of MPG relative to DTE gives one an estimate of remaining gallons in the tank. Is there other uses for this info on a phone, that I've overlooked.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 01 M3 Cabrio, 15 535i
My thoughts exactly. I was hoping that I'd be able to check the level from my couch, so that if my son or wife was last driving and not sure how much was left, we could schedule a fill up that wasn't "crap, I need gas!!" BMW doesn't make this clear at all on the website where they show the benefits of connected drive.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
I'm with you guys on the DTE and fuel level topic - I've got a gauge (and a nagging idrive) for that. Note that I had some trouble with the USB connection until I went to a 4" short cable, and even then I have to replace it every year or so. It's really finicky.

@ezaircon4jz, thanks for the explanation - I thought I was missing out on something on my phone. I have to say that between the outside air temp readout and the windows, I can usually work out what the weather is without the help of idrive...
Old 01-22-2020, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck66 View Post

Same with mine with an iPhone 6s.
Weather is an iDrive app. Right click in idrive, select split screen, click on split screen content, select Weather. This hasn't worked for me in a couple of years. It just says unable to connect to cell service.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:03 AM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 18 X5d , 14 535xd, 00 MZ3
While there are some functions, like ventilation in the summer, I like, one of my current fears is that I believe our '14 f10 535xd has a 3G connection. Most providers are sunsetting their 3G networks as of 2022. When they shut it down, just as what occurred with the 2G shutdown for those vehicles with a dedicated 2G connection, our cars will no longer have a connection.
'07X3si now in other hands,
'14 535d XDrive,
'18 X5 35d In break-in...
Old 01-23-2020, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpup View Post
While there are some functions, like ventilation in the summer, I like, one of my current fears is that I believe our '14 f10 535xd has a 3G connection. Most providers are sunsetting their 3G networks as of 2022. When they shut it down, just as what occurred with the 2G shutdown for those vehicles with a dedicated 2G connection, our cars will no longer have a connection.
Yep. When 3G is phased out those of us with 3G connections (Combox & NBT) will need a TCU upgrade to 4G if we want to maintain a cellular connection.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search