Abs,dsc,brake trifecta - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-01-2017, 12:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3, 1995 540i
Abs,dsc,brake trifecta

Already did a search and I'm having a very original issue.

My 2007 328i manual trans prod date 2/07, at first had an intermittent issue where the cruise, hill stop, traction, and abs all shut down while at the same time warnings for all pop up. Now this issue is permanent or so I thought. After about a month of having these lights pop up, they went away for 70 miles, and did not turn on until I decelerated with my cruise control. It felt different than ever. Instead of braking and precisely going to the set speed, it slowed down way below the determined speed, then kicked the cruise on and sped back up to said speed. Then within seconds, the trifecta came back.

I called two places including module master, and they both said with codes 5df0 and 5df1 I only need to calibrate my slz steering angle sensor. I have checked all wheel sensors, and everything else works. Wipers, signals, headlights etc, but like I said before, no cruise, abs, dsc.

I have edibias and toolset32 which I used to read codes and do the calibration, but unfortunately this did not fix it.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I could try?

Last edited by dohc120; 01-01-2017 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Adding model information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2017, 03:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to adrian.canura
Mein Auto: E90 320i
Your problems are given by reluctor rings. This rings have rust between teeth and for this reason a lot of wrong wheels speed readings. I change mine in spring last year and the issues are gone. In the picture you can see what I'm talking about.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian.canura View Post
Your problems are given by reluctor rings. This rings have rust between teeth and for this reason a lot of wrong wheels speed readings. I change mine in spring last year and the issues are gone. In the picture you can see what I'm talking about.

Are these the rings in the hubs? I jacked up the front of the car, inspected and tried to wiggle the wheels and there is absolutely zero play. The car is an 07, but it looks new underneath. No rust, no play, looks showroom.

What codes and symptoms were you getting when your issue was present? I'm just afraid of throwing money at issues. Not a fan of guessing.

Last edited by dohc120; 01-01-2017 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Elaborating on subject
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2017, 01:02 PM

Reluctor rings are only on the back wheels because are on the head of the output shaft. Is very difficult to see if is rusty there without taking that output shaft out. Another indicator of rings with rust is if the ABS sensor's heat is rub /polished(due to rust accumulation under the ring, the ring circumference will increase and will rub the sensor).

Old 01-01-2017, 01:15 PM

My simptoms were:
- at low speed quick gas cuting without any warning
- at high speed intermitent lightning of the loose control sign and couldn't speed over 80km/h, if I drive like this after few minutes came out warnings from abs, flat tire, brake, and loose control and the car works fine again but without DSC and ABS systems ON.
When the situation got worst the car could be driven only with DSC Off and before ring replacement I took out an ABS sensor to be abble to drive the car(I couldn't start without shocks from the gas cutting).

Old 01-01-2017, 04:24 PM

That fortunately doesn't sound close to the issue I'm having. My car runs and drives completely normal minus the few features that are lost. No power loss. No speed sensor codes.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i
You really need to get a hold of OBD cable and INPA.. INPA was able to pinpoint my problem down to a speed sensor. Should be able to give you some codes that point you in the right direction.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBro View Post
You really need to get a hold of OBD cable and INPA.. INPA was able to pinpoint my problem down to a speed sensor. Should be able to give you some codes that point you in the right direction.
I have everything i need and im not getting any wheel speed sensor codes. It's a different problem. I would see other codes if they were present.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:36 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 17Ridgeline/14JGC/
Those codes point to an issue with the ABS unless wheel speed sensors and steering angle are not at fault. Module Masters will usually not attempt a repair on a 2007 but they would on later models. The codes you show are the ones that point to ABS failure.
You most likely have a stuck electrical brush caused by the piss poor brush holders on the Bosch DC electric motor that is mounted to the ABS module. I did a write up about this many years ago but unless you don't wish to pull the module and attempt to repair the stuck brush you can pull the entire unit and try another repair facility. I think there is one in the east coast and one in the UK but call MM first and tell them you don't have steering angle or speed sensors since you have ruled those out.

You can take a chance on a used one too. Good thing is that you can just unbolt and motor/pump/aluminum valve body and bolt that back to your electrical module requiring no reprogramming. Only code reset is needed once installed brakes bleed.

For the sake of a 30 cent part BMW screwed us to cut costs. Shame on Bosch and BMW for not making this a recall or extended warranty item.
If you need anything else PM me I have had some experience with this.

Also do a Google search on Bosch stuck brush holders ABS.

For example my post in 2013
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-729195.html

others posting
Same problem across all BMW machines with pictures
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...bs+brush+stuck
http://ip-68-178-194-211.ip.securese...d.php?p=601590

Last edited by fun2drive; 01-03-2017 at 03:39 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
abs, brake, cruise control, dsc, e90, trifecta

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search