Question about trifecta issue with 98 E39 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-15-2019, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i (E39)
Question about trifecta issue with 98 E39

I save my questions until after I do my research. I've been in the car biz as a hobby for quite a number of years, certified Mercedes mechanic, however, I'm having the trifecta ABS issue on my 98 which seems to attribute to a specific ABS module that is recommended rebuilt/repaired. However, mine is not the same. My PN is 0 265 217 000 which is the previous model that looks like this (see attached)

Since it is located in the engine bay, could it still be a problem due to the heat? Or should I look elsewhere like the MAF sensor I've heard that also can cause the 2-3 shift issue I'm also having.

Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	abss-l300.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	836137  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 11:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1996 528i
What codes do you have?
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=48
Old 01-16-2019, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 520i
Quote:
Originally Posted by areinike View Post
I save my questions until after I do my research. I've been in the car biz as a hobby for quite a number of years, certified Mercedes mechanic, however, I'm having the trifecta ABS issue on my 98 which seems to attribute to a specific ABS module that is recommended rebuilt/repaired. However, mine is not the same. My PN is 0 265 217 000 which is the previous model that looks like this (see attached)

Since it is located in the engine bay, could it still be a problem due to the heat? Or should I look elsewhere like the MAF sensor I've heard that also can cause the 2-3 shift issue I'm also having.

Thanks all!
The earlier models have the module not next to the engine, but next to the glove compartment and those rarely have any problems. If yours is the earlier model, that could be wheel speed sensors or some other combination of issues. Most likely than an ABS module. It is necessary that you make sure which one is yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2019, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 530I Blown/ X5 35D
Quote:

Thanks all!
Per your picture you have the older model. The module shows in the engine compartment but the electronic is under the glove compartment.

With that said it's unlikely your module needs rebuild.
If you still have CC then likely one of the WSS in the front. from my experience it was front left.
How I found out my WSS was bad is by using a good decent scanner, I have the Foxwell and display live menu for the WSS.
Good luck.

02- 530-Blown
10-X5 35D
Old 01-16-2019, 06:45 AM

Cool. Thanks for the replies, guys. From what I've been reading, I don't have the problematic ABS module. The codes I'm getting with my Autel MaxiDiag with the 20 pin adapter is like this:

ASC: Fault stored
ASC passively engaged
ABS control passive
Brake-light switch not actuated
ASC control passive

Speed sensors have typically been the problem with cars I've worked on in the past. So that was my initial thought. I totally want the Foxwell scanner, but the Autel isn[t too bad. It will read real time WSS so I'll try that next. I won't fudge with the ABS module/pump any more unless nothing else works.

These modules are still "married" to the vehicle (VIN)?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2019, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 530I Blown/ X5 35D
Quote:
Cool. Thanks for the replies, guys. From what I've been reading, I don't have the problematic ABS module. The codes I'm getting with my Autel MaxiDiag with the 20 pin adapter is like this:

ASC: Fault stored
ASC passively engaged
ABS control passive
Brake-light switch not actuated
ASC control passive

Speed sensors have typically been the problem with cars I've worked on in the past. So that was my initial thought. I totally want the Foxwell scanner, but the Autel isn[t too bad. It will read real time WSS so I'll try that next. I won't fudge with the ABS module/pump any more unless nothing else works.

These modules are still "married" to the vehicle (VIN)?

Thanks!
Those codes are so deceiving but don't worry they mean nothing and ignore them all. WSS live data is what you need and be warned the program will shut off if you drive it too fast, keep it slow less than 5 MPH.

Good luck with the Autel. Foxwell is on sale at ECStuning for about $150.

PS. Don't buy knock offs WSS. I've got them from FCP OEM brands like Siemens and VDO. Do it once and be done.

02- 530-Blown
10-X5 35D
Old 01-16-2019, 04:32 PM

So I took my Autel MaxiDiag Elite (oooo, Elite) MD802 and checked the sensors and indeed the Front Left is bad. All others worked. Took car up to 10MPH just to be sure. Definitely a good place to start.

So Siemens and VDO are good. What about Delphi and Bosch? I see those reasonably priced.

Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:37 AM

Bosch should be ok but I would say that if you do not buy VDO or Siemens chances are good that you might receive a sensor that does not work. I bought four cheap sensors, like Delphi, one did not work.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:48 AM
Wingnut

Mein Auto: 1999 5281 5 sp msport
for troubleshooting purposes, you can swap the lf and rf WSS and see if the fault follows, to prove/eliminate the WSS as the fault before buying parts.. front and rear arent the same, dont swap them.

be alert...the world needs more lerts
Old 01-25-2019, 01:32 PM

Just a quick update. Replaced the left front speed sensor and whala ... everything is good, even the trans is shifting from 2-3 normally. Funny cars lol
Old 01-25-2019, 01:40 PM

Most of the time its something "simple", a faulty wheel sensor can throw all kind of codes.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2-3, abs, gear, light, shift, transmission, trifecta

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search