Adding nav, back up cam etc. - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 11-28-2019, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto:
Adding nav, back up cam etc.

I am looking at getting a 2015 x1 xdrive28i that doesnt come with back up cam, nav, idrive. and wanted to put them in. I looked at aftermarket and found very little to work with and just got more questions from it.

i want to know why it isnt a thing to take the options available from other x1's that come with it stock and add it to one without? would the wiring harness not work between the two? would i have to replace the entire radio head unit with that of the optioned head unit to utilize the screen/systems i want?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2019, 11:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
It can be done but may cost half as much as your x1 is worth
Old 11-29-2019, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawlor.marines View Post
i want to know why it isnt a thing to take the options available from other x1's that come with it stock and add it to one without? would the wiring harness not work between the two? would i have to replace the entire radio head unit with that of the optioned head unit to utilize the screen/systems i want?
My understanding is that you need to rip out and replace most of the dash and wiring. It's not just as simple as "plugging in the LCD screen". I wish it were. My X1 lacks Nav and it's the number 1 thing I wish it had, but it just wasn't a deal breaker for that particular purchase.

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2019, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawlor.marines View Post
I am looking at getting a 2015 x1 xdrive28i that doesnt come with back up cam, nav, idrive. and wanted to put them in. I looked at aftermarket and found very little to work with and just got more questions from it.

I say, don't do it. You'd likely be buying a nightmare. Mine just blew up and needs a new engine.

But hey, at least it has nav and backup camera so it can tell me precisely where my garage is and give me a great picture of the back wall...
Old 12-07-2019, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooferorg View Post
I say, don't do it. You'd likely be buying a nightmare. Mine just blew up and needs a new engine.

But hey, at least it has nav and backup camera so it can tell me precisely where my garage is and give me a great picture of the back wall...

Most X1 owners never experience a single problem related to the N20 timing chain guide failure. Quite frankly, you don't even know if that's what actually occurred.

Take this person's "advice" with a grain of salt.

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Old 12-07-2019, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Going after-market anything in a BMW can be an expensive nightmare.
X1's without those preferred options may NOT desirable except to the occasional driver who is satisfied with 4 wheels and an engine ... for some drivers, nav, cameras etc are an unnecessary "frill". If you're that driver I'd recommend hammering the seller for the lowest price you can get ... that bare bones pre-owned X1 could sit around for a long time.
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search